Queen of the South Management Team

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That actually crossed my mind. I think we can safely say though that if that was a factor, we'd have struggled to get behind our Cup final team. He seems blighted by his association with Fowler, yet Fowler wasn't universally unpopular, so I don't really understand why the thought of giving it to the second in command, seems more unpalatable to many, than was leaving things in the hands of the bloke who was at the helm.When you see chilling names like Locke in the frame, it makes Skelton look even more appealing as far as I'm concerned.

I never realised Skelton was looked upon like that. The Gretna link probably doesn't mean a great deal. I wonder what his record was like at Workington?

I never realised Skelton was looked upon like that. The Gretna link probably doesn't mean a great deal. I wonder what his record was like at Workington?

Maybe, he's not and as I said I've misread it.

He doesn't seem to have many backers on here though.

I also think that he's received some criticism for how we've been of late.

Even this thread's title, reflects a dissatisfaction with him as well as Fowler.

One of the concerns I have about Skelton, which is perhaps unfounded, is that Fowler's tactics and team selection seemed more acceptable and successful (with better players obviously) before Skelton came in, and I wonder to what extent Skelton's influence has had on this season's erratic and

disappointing displays.

ETA: MT has just touched on this with the above post.

It is incredibly unfair due to the amount of other factors that have played their part, but my reservations are largely due to the fact Fowler was a success without Skelton, and a relative failure with.

The mixed results when we have promoted from within play on my mind as well.

Another less decisive factor, but one I've considered none the less, is that it would suggest that Fowler has been "done over" by a man he helped bring to the club. I wouldn't like that in addition to the Kerr and Baird carry on. Especially as I already consider Fowler to be slightly hard done by.

Looking at the list of candidates however, Skelton does seem quite appealing.

Yes, I suppose a deterioration does coincide with Skelton's coming aboard.

As acknowledged though, a lot of other factors have also come into play.

Promoting from within can certainly seem lazy and we've had mixed results with it. I think though that Skelton maybe has more to commend him than some of our other assistants have had in the past.

Yes, I suppose a deterioration does coincide with Skelton's coming aboard.

As acknowledged though, a lot of other factors have also come into play.

Promoting from within can certainly seem lazy and we've had mixed results with it. I think though that Skelton maybe has more to commend him than some of our other assistants have had in the past.

You don't need me to point out the obvious that whoever we go for will come with pros and cons and will be a bit of a risk.  I don't think Skelton is any more or less of a risk than the other names put forward though.

Can I put your question back at you and ask why you are so attracted to Skelton?  Is it simply because of the success he had with Workington or due to observations you've seen whilst he's been assistant?  I don't even really know what his achievements were with Workington, what did he do win the league?  Is that good going for them, I honestly don't know the first thing about them?

You don't need me to point out the obvious that whoever we go for will come with pros and cons and will be a bit of a risk. I don't think Skelton is any more or less of a risk than the other names put forward though.

Can I put your question back at you and ask why you are so attracted to Skelton? Is it simply because of the success he had with Workington or due to observations you've seen whilst he's been assistant? I don't even really know what his achievements were with Workington, what did he do win the league? Is that good going for them, I honestly don't know the first thing about them?

I'll be honest and say I don't know much more myself.

I read a WSC article in the summer suggesting Workington were good under him and sorry to lose him. I've not exactly researched it further though. Similarly, I'll not claim that anything I've seen or heard about him in his Queens capacity has swayed me in either direction.

However, I do remember being impressed by his candour and articulacy when reflecting on the whole Gretna episode in that Sky documentary a year or two back. Obviously, that's not strictly relevant, but I prefer a manager who seems capable of talking sense.

I'm not massively in favour of appointing him, but then there aren't many other obvious alternatives and I suspect we could do worse.

I was more interested in what I saw as a certain hostility or at best, indifference to him.

People like Naysmith and Young are also worth considering though.

Barry Nicholson Doonhamer, doing well down at Fleetwood as Dev manager, would be nice to see someone with link to Dumfrirs get job.

Pressley's the current manager at Fleetwood too.

Archived