Championship Team of the Season

There was a bit of discussion on this in the Hibs vs Falkirk thread at the start of the week so I thought it'd be worth starting a thread.

One of the benefits of having Rangers in the league has been having so many games televised. We've been able to get a better look at all the teams in the league and so I feel I'm better placed to put together a team of the season.

For me, for this season:

Foderingham

Tavernier Hanlon Grant Wallace

Kerr McGinn

Alston Holt McKay

Waghorn

Subs: Rogers, Toshney, Muirhead, Vaulks, McGeouch, K Miller, Baird

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a bit of discussion on this in the Hibs vs Falkirk thread at the start of the week so I thought it'd be worth starting a thread.

One of the benefits of having Rangers in the league has been having so many games televised. We've been able to get a better look at all the teams in the league and so I feel I'm better placed to put together a team of the season.

For me, for this season:

Foderingham

Kerr McGinn

Alston Holt McKay

Waghorn

I'd agree with most of that with the exception of the keeper. I'd have Rogers as first choice with Cuthbert on the bench..

Kevin Cuthbert

James Tavernier Lewis Toshney Peter Grant Lee Wallace

Dominic Ball

Liam Henderson Jason Holt Aidan Connolly

Christian Nade Martyn Waghorn

Subs: Danny Rogers, Craig Barr, John McGinn, Denny Johnstone, James Craigen, Bob McHugh*, John Baird

*Purely so he can come off the bench and score an injury time winner/equaliser. I'd have had Cummings in there, but I like McHugh's habit of late goals.

I had to pick Prince Christian, as we are quite literally a one man team, 6 goals in 9 league games is pretty #dece as well. Ball has impressed me when he's played against us, looks far too good for this level and strolled the games against us, bizarre that he doesn't start over Kiernan/Wilson. That also consigns McGinn to the bench, but he got torn to shreds by Kevin Cawley when we played them. That's not TOTY material for meh.

Not been a particularly high standard of goalkeeping this year, up until Tuesday night Robbie Thomson might have been my #1, but that early mistake really rocked his confidence and he was woeful so Cuthbert gets the nod.

Henderson looks like he could be a starter for Celtic based on what I've seen, a very, very decent player. Holt is another who looks like he'll thrive in Mark Warburton's playing style and Craigen will be a smashing signing for Falkirk I reckon. A player I've rated since his Thistle days.

Upfront, even though he's been injured, it has to be Waghorn. Quick, strong, excellent touch and the ability to create something out of nothing...Effectively like a white Christian Nade if you will  ;)

Edit: Aidan Connolly put in a stormer at the weekend, one of the best individual performances at the Rock I've seen. So he can come in for his team-mate Craigen.

Foderingham has improved a lot for me from the start of the season where i thought he looked a bit suspect, but I would agree that he's not got a lot to do for large periods of games, so it's maybe a bit unfair on other keepers to have him in there.

I wouldn't have Foderingham in there as much as he's a better keeper now than I gave him credit for in the opening months. Probably Cuthbert on what I've seen.

You can't ignore Tavernier and Wallace for their scoring efforts but I don't think either has "defended" particularly well. I don't know if there's an outstanding enough full back anywhere else to keep them out though.

Marshy's team looks good to me, with the same caveat as most are saying in that I'm not totally convinced on Foderingham. Both him and Rodgers had shaky starts but have come onto a game. I just think both are capable of throwing one in now and then, and whilst you could say that about any keeper I just think they're a bit more prone to it. I'd probably go for Cuthbert. In fact I'd have liked us to have signed him when Hamilton did the dirty on him.

I wouldn't have Foderingham in there as much as he's a better keeper now than I gave him credit for in the opening months. Probably Cuthbert on what I've seen.

You can't ignore Tavernier and Wallace for their scoring efforts but I don't think either has "defended" particularly well. I don't know if there's an outstanding enough full back anywhere else to keep them out though.

They've been part of the best defence in the league all season, conceding less than a goal a game.  It's not their fault that Rangers were dominating most games (and thus defending less) and the manager's tactics is to push them as far forward as possible.  They're far and away the best full backs in the league.

Completely agree with you about the full-backs, but I looked about and thought, who else? (Suggestions welcome)

Whilst Tavernier in particular looks very shaky at the back he has been impressive going forward, and it probably hasn't cost Rangers as many goals as it would cost any other side in the division. In saying that I expect him to get found out/moved to the wing next season.

Foderingham let Garry Fleming's penalty against us go right through him. That alone was enough to punt him imo.

For me, for this season:

Foderingham

Kerr McGinn

Alston Holt McKay

Waghorn

I'd agree with that. Would probably have McHugh or Miller on the bench in place of Baird though. I know Baird has scored more goals, but he has had a lot more game time. How many times this season have Miller or McHugh come off the bench for us and totally changed the game?

Kerr's been the biggest surprise for me, he has had an absolutely terrific season. Taiwo would be close to the 18 had he not got a bad injury at the start of the season and missed so many games imo. 

They've been part of the best defence in the league all season, conceding less than a goal a game.  It's not their fault that Rangers were dominating most games (and thus defending less) and the manager's tactics is to push them as far forward as possible.  They're far and away the best full backs in the league.

They've not really been asked to defend much and when they have been they've been found wanting at times. I haven't disagreed they've been the best in the league (partly because neither Stevenson nor Gray at Hibs has done that well either). I was merely commenting that I'd like to put somebody else in at full back ahead of Tavernier particularly because I don't think he's actually a very good defender. I'd be sorely tempted to put Jason Thomson in ahead of him. 

Rodgers

Tavernier Toshney gasparotto Wallace

Alston mcginn Callachan henderson

Craigen

Waghorn

Gasparotto is excellent but he's played less than 20 games and isn't as good as Hanlon, Toshney or Grant. The only Morton player who could be considered among the best players in the division is Mark Russell, but Lee Wallace is obviously the best left back in the division by a mile.

I get the argument about Tavernier's attacking exploits but he genuinely can't defend - it's not like Wallace who is a perfectly competent defender but is sometimes exposed tactically by how attacking his team is, Tavernier just can't do the basics of defending and is found out whenever teams actually get enough of the ball to target him. If they want to be in the top six next season they either need to use him as a winger or get rid.

That said, there isn't really a stand-out right back in the league, Jason Thomson and Keith Watson are good without being excellent, but I'd still go for Thomson over Tavernier.

For me, for this season:

Foderingham

Kerr McGinn

Alston Holt McKay

Waghorn

I'd agree with most of this, I'd change foderingham to Rogers though and I'd probably change tavernier aswell but not sure who too. From what I've seen tavernier is good going forward but very suspect at the back. I'd also try to get Cummins on the bench somewhere.

Archived