2016 Scottish Cup Final - Hibernian FC v Rangers

Bambino7

How are you doing Brad?  Not seen you posting for ages.  You've been missed.

The minor pitch incursion was trivial - little more than handbags.  Plus it adds to the entertainment of what was a an engrossing 90 minutes.  Scottish Cup football which may have lacked a touch of quality but was terrific.

I'm sound mate, aye - hope you're likewise. 

ITN news at 10 headlines included "Scottish Cup final ends in violence" and shows Hibs fans in euphoria celebrating  (no violence in clip at all). Knew that this would be made a meal of.

On the other hand the next person that says "but they've waited 114 years for this..." is due a kick in the pie.

Not one fan has waited 114 years unless they are older than 114. Not one.

I cannot believe the Rangers statement praising their fans restraint. Obviously have not seen the footage....

Hibs fans exuberance turned a little naughty and when you get many thousands together this is always likely to happen.

It was a cracking game of football and I am pleased Hibs managed to address over 100 years of hurt.

Both clubs should be hammered though. Hibs for pitch invasion and goading Rangers fans and if there was any assault on Rangers players and officials. Rangers for sectarian singing (don't hold your breath), letting off smoke bombs and their fans entering the pitch and fighting.

Should be banned from playing in cup next season. Both teams.

I cannot believe the Rangers statement praising their fans restraint. Obviously have not seen the footage....

Hibs fans exuberance turned a little naughty and when you get many thousands together this is always likely to happen.

It was a cracking game of football and I am pleased Hibs managed to address over 100 years of hurt.

Both clubs should be hammered though. Hibs for pitch invasion and goading Rangers fans and if there was any assault on Rangers players and officials. Rangers for sectarian singing (don't hold your breath), letting off smoke bombs and their fans entering the pitch and fighting.

Should be banned from playing in cup next season. Both teams.

Sevco should be banned for 5 seasons as they and their predecessor club have form.

Right, I've lots of pages to wade through.

What appears to have been the reality though?

I initially saw the pitch invasion as a bit regrettable, but part of the spectacle and reflective of the spontaneous joy that we love football for being capable of evoking.

If players got assaulted though, it alters the nature of things.

I'm torn between not wanting this triumph to be hijacked and corrupted by those in the media whose noses were put out of joint by the result; and not wanting to react in a way I know would be totally different if the roles of the sides here had been reversed.

What's the consensus? What really went on at the end?

Edited by Monkey Tennis

However this type of pitch invasion occurs on numerous occasions every year up and down the country, with the violence that followed today's.

I don't think that's true. Most of the time when you see a pitch invasion it's a home support running onto the pitch while the away fans are tucked away and surrounded by police and stewards. There were 25,000 in the Rangers end, it's not really the same. I think you could have replaced the Rangers fans with supporters of any other club and you would have had the same reaction.

ETA: When I say the same reaction, I mean a running on the pitch and fighting. Most other people probably wouldn't start singing about being up to their knees in catholic blood.

Edited by Carl Cort's Hamstring

Right, I've lots of pages to wade through.

What appears to have been the reality though?

I initially saw the pitch invasion as a bit regrettable, but part of the spectacle and reflective of the spontaneous joy that we love football for being capable of evoking.

If players got assaulted though, it alters the nature of things.

I'm torn between not wanting this triumph to be hijacked and corrupted by those in the media whose noses were put out of joint by the result; and not wanting to react in a way I know would be totally different if the roles of the sides here had been reversed.

What's the consensus? What really went on at the end?

Some Hibs fans were idiots, some Rangers fans likewise.

The guy in the red jacket got knocked out @19secs

That's interesting, because I was looking for him, saw this video:

https://twitter.com/StevenRitchie1/status/734125502370353152

Thought that 'Foderingham' in this looked like was wearing trousers, and certainly went down a lot easier than you'd expect for a big 'keeper. Can't be sure, but is the guy in the red, the guy some fans are claiming to be Foderingham?