When Has Hibs Hibsed Against Your Team?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In 2010/11, Saints couldn't score for three months. Literally. No Saints player scored a goal in the league between the very start of February and the last day in April (although we recorded one goal for, an own goal by a Hibs player, who else). On that last day in April, Saints travelled to Easter Road and fell behind early on. A goal down to a team who hadn't seen one of their own score for over 1,000 minutes and with just 15 minutes left, who could Hibs this up and lose the game?

apr11hibs3.jpg

a last minute own goal (Scott Boyd was somehow credited with it)

Excuse me for focussing on the wrong theme for a second... I was at that game, in the Jail End (still my favourite County experience, by the way). I have also watched highlights several times since... and this is the first time I have ever heard it suggested the goal was scored by anyone other than Scott Boyd. Either I've badly missed something, or you're making stuff up!

Anyway, to get back to the important stuff: It's worth noting that Hibs were ahead 3 times over the course of that 2-legged (reaplyed) tie. Hibsing of the highest order.

A late Bob McHugh goal sinks Hibs from 2-0 up. With bonus James McPake red card

Ah, the season McPake decided he hated us, for some reason, and got absolutely bodied by Higdon in the 4-1 game.

In other news 'hibsing' is apparently the new in vogue patter for folk with fucking shite patter. 

Slightly different twist for me, more to do with setting themselves up to fall flat...

In March 2014 Saints played Hibs in a league game which would be significant in deciding who would grab sixth place as the split was approaching.

Saints destroyed Hibs 2-0 going on 6, with the Hibs keeper playing a stormer. The match itself wasn't that big a deal, but afterwards Terry Butcher was quoted as saying many of the Hibs team wouldn't be there the following season. And effectively implying their season was over.

So an already disinterested and hopeless bunch became even more so, whilst Hibs fans were more keen on celebrating Hearts impending relegation. I don't think the Hibees won another game that season and plummeted from comfortable 7th place to 11th, and ended up going down by the play-offs.

To compound this bizarre piece of man-management from an experienced individual, Butcher had his players punching the air in celebration in front of their fans and opening tins of beans everywhere as they won the first leg of the play-off at Hamilton.... before going on to lose the tie on penalties and get relegated.

Roll on this season and Hibs beat St Johnstone in the league cup semi final whilst they're riding high in the championship. Stubbs post-match gloats how nobody can call them bottlers anymore. Within a couple of months his team have lost the final and are stuttering their way to a third place finish.

Losing two injury time goals at Pittodrie to lose 2-0, allowing Zerouali to run the ball into an empty net. #vintagehibsing

That's my earliest vivid football memory. There was a dude sat next to my dad were chatting all the way through, he left at 90 minutes and we won 2-0! Never left a game early since then.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned but...

Surely the thread title should be 'when HAVE Hibs Hibsed it against your team'

Been bothering me for a couple of days now...

Hibs is a singular noun and therefore takes the third person singular verb.

Hibs is a singular noun and therefore takes the third person singular verb.

I've actually done some research into this and there is no accepted standard. A football team can be treated as singular or plural depending on which authorities you check with.

Eg hibs are playing hearts vs hibs is playing hearts.

Hibs have signed mcskimming vs hibs has signed mcskimming

For me the former always feels more correct

Yes I'm a mad shagger

Since this is in the Premiership Forum it is no surprise that most posters have to dredge the archives to find anything to post.

How about these from the League Cup:

Hibernian 2 Aberdeen 0

Hibernian 3 Dundee United 0

Hibernian 2 St Johnstone 1

Ross County 2 Hibernian 1

And not to mention these from the Scottish Cup

Hearts 2 Hibernian 2

Hibernian 1 Hearts 0

Hibernian 1 Inverness 1

Inverness 1 Hibernian 2

Hibernian 0 Dundee United 0 (4-2 on penalties)

That reads won 6, drawn 2, lost 1.

If there is anything going on here it is Hearts screwing up against Hibernian at Tynecastle and somehow contrived to lose a home cup tie to a Championship team from 2-0 up with 10 minutes remaining.

That is real Jambottling! Not in the same class as 1986 mind!

Since this is in the Premiership Forum it is no surprise that most posters have to dredge the archives to find anything to post.

How about these from the League Cup:

Hibernian 2 Aberdeen 0

Hibernian 3 Dundee United 0

Hibernian 2 St Johnstone 1

Ross County 2 Hibernian 1

And not to mention these from the Scottish Cup

Hearts 2 Hibernian 2

Hibernian 1 Hearts 0

Hibernian 1 Inverness 1

Inverness 1 Hibernian 2

Hibernian 0 Dundee United 0 (4-2 on penalties)

That reads won 6, drawn 2, lost 1.

If there is anything going on here it is Hearts screwing up against Hibernian at Tynecastle and somehow contrived to lose a home cup tie to a Championship team from 2-0 up with 10 minutes remaining.

That is real Jambottling! Not in the same class as 1986 mind!

^ Alan Stubbs

Archived