How do you poach your eggs?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

norpro-egg-poacher.gif.jpg

One of these or you're doing it wrong. Quite why you'd deny yourself a perfectly poached egg for wattery, rubbery 'ruggedness' is beastly stupidity.

Aye, my idea of "perfect" is definitely something totally uniform and unnatural in shape.

Maybe serve those abominations on pre-bought melba toasts and douse liberally in nandos sauce.

One of these or you're doing it wrong. Quite why you'd deny yourself a perfectly poached egg for wattery, rubbery 'ruggedness' is beastly stupidity.

That looks like you've smashed Mickey Mouse twice with a frying pan...

No surprise 14mile is an advocate (advocaat) of the BEAST microwave method.

The Scottish plain bread only further emphasis this point. A bread for people will little to no morals and a child chained to the innards of their homes foundations.

Oh, 'your mum' jokes. This was a very serious public help topic. We helped separate functioning, normal human beings from deranged, potential child molesterers.

Then you come along and used 'your mum' jokes.

Did one of those wee boys in Burger King teach you that?

Used one of these before and they're not unpleasant, but they sure as f**k aren't poached eggs.

Poached eggs are my favourite breakfast. Had then nearly every day for about 3 years.

Fresh eggs (not kept in fridge)

Pan of water (with a little vinegar) just before the boil (simmering).

Put the eggs in and cook for 3 minutes.

Easy.

The secret is fresh eggs. You don't need to swirl the water (or add vinegar but I do as I like the taste).

I like mine on Brown toast (with real butter) and with tobasco sauce.

Indeed.  A toasted and buttered heel of a plain loaf pisses all over any other bready and buttery pretenders. 

You'll have the "outsiders" gang on your case shortly...

You can get a 2 egg poacher. Fill the pan halfway with boiling water, simmer for about 4 mins.

Nice wee stainless steel poacher:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Judge-Vista-Egg-Poacher-Hole/dp/B002QRI2E6/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1461402535&sr=8-13&keywords=2+Egg+poacher

I've tried them and I don't like them. They make the white much more 'rubbery' or 'tough'.

If you like your poached eggs like that then they're probably brilliant but they're not for me at all. Plus the added cleaning can be a pain. The white can be a nightmare to clean out of the little pots.

Each to their own though.

I've tried them and I don't like them. They make the white much more 'rubbery' or 'tough'.

If you like your poached eggs like that then they're probably brilliant but they're not for me at all. Plus the added cleaning can be a pain. The white can be a nightmare to clean out of the little pots.

No issue with cleaning; a little olive oil (extra virgin of course, no slutty substitute) or butter melted in the receptacle before dropping in raw egg allows easy removal, no waste and cleaning a cinche.

How are you cooking them? With the two egg poacher I pour a kettle of boiling water to a half pan full, bring to the boil then put the tray with the eggs on and the lid, simmer gently for about 4 mins. Don't get the texture you mention.

Regarding the egg trays, if the egg cups are not non stick, a tiny drop of cooking oil with a kitchen towel helps.

Archived