Malta v Scotland

tartanspark

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Another two septics put their club ahead of their country and they draft in lee wallace over shinnie.  My heads gone and those two c***s should never be invited to play for Scotland again.

:lol:

Why would they pull out for no reason? Both had a chance of playing, Griffiths might have even started.

Depressing to think that this guarantees that Fletcher will start up front on Sunday. A man who has scored 1 goal in 20 odd games. What more does McCormack have to do to get in the squad. 

Know what's a minter. Sevco fans genuinely believing that Tierney and Griffiths have pulled out to rest up for next Saturday. Clint Hill and the boys, they can't be serious. They could run a marathon before that game next Saturday and stroll through it.

Fannies

I'd expect a similar side to line up from previous years.

Anya seems naturally a fit guy and if he shows up well enough in training Strachan will play him IMO.

Marshall 

Hutton Martin Hanley Robertson

Fletcher Morrison 

Snodgrass Naismith/Ritchie Anya

Fletcher

Progress...

Pretty scunnered about Griffiths, he probably wouldn't have started but he would have been  excellent to bring on, the guy is on fire the now, bloody typical!

I would have also liked McArthur to be in the holding role with Fletcher but again that probably wouldn't have happened either.

I can honestly see Strachan ignoring Burke and Naismith and starting the following.....

Marshall

Hutton-Martin-Hanley-Robertson

Morrison-Fletcher

Forrest-Snodgrass-Anya

Fletcher

The team for me now should be....

Marshall

Hutton-Martin-Hanley-Robertson

Morrison-Fletcher

Burke-Snodgrass-Ritchie

Fletcher

Wouldn't be all that fussed if Ritchie or S.Fletcher were swapped for Naismith.

We don't need two holding midfielders against Malta.

I would go 4-4-1-1 

Marshall

Hutton Martin Hanley Robertson

Ritchie Fletcher Bannan  Burke

Snodgrass 

Fletcher

Really strange situation we're in. Phil Bardsley, Stephen Kingsley, Shaun Maloney, Matt Phillips, Ryan Fraser, George Boyd, Donald Love and Ollie McBurnie all played in the English Premier League at the weekend. None are in the squad.

John McGinn, Callum Paterson, Barrie McKay, Lee Wallace and Tony Watt, a collection of Scottish Premiership jobbers and a fairly promising talent playing at a poor level, are all in the squad.

GORD6_1697471a.jpg

People would moan about Maloney. People would moan about Boyd. McBurnie is in the under 21s. Love looks rotten. McGinn/Patterson and McKay in as younger players for experience. People moaning about Watt when everybody moans that not enough Scottish Premiership players get in squads.

f**k me man

15 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I'm not sure about that.  I think he has four strikers who are all fairly different to each other.  He sees Martin as his "need a goal with 10 minutes to go" targetman, who basically stands in the box like a big traffic cone in the hope that the ball bounces in off his arse, while Fletcher is more there to hold the ball up and bring others into the game.

That's not what the 'evidence' would suggest. With one exception, in the last campaign Martin was never brought on when we needed a goal. He replaced Fletcher as a sub on 3 occasions; while 1-0 up against Georgia, while 2-1 up away against Poland, and drawing 0-0 at home to Ireland. You could argue we needed a goal against Ireland, but he was brought on after 56 minutes (from memory I think Fletcher may have been injured) so was hardly desperation last minutes stuff. All these games were like for like changes in terms of the tactics.

The only occasion where your scenario came into play was at home to Germany where he put Fletcher and Martin up front for the last 10 minutes, Strachan clearly realised pumping long balls into the box was our only hope which is why he kept Fletcher up front with him. The other game where we really needed a goal, against Georgia away, he didn't get on and Fletcher played the full 90 minutes. I'd say it's pretty clear Strachan just sees him as a back-up version of Fletcher. When Fletcher gets tired/injured he'll come on and try and do the same job.

33 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

That's not what the 'evidence' would suggest. With one exception, in the last campaign Martin was never brought on when we needed a goal. He replaced Fletcher as a sub on 3 occasions; while 1-0 up against Georgia, while 2-1 up away against Poland, and drawing 0-0 at home to Ireland. You could argue we needed a goal against Ireland, but he was brought on after 56 minutes (from memory I think Fletcher may have been injured) so was hardly desperation last minutes stuff. All these games were like for like changes in terms of the tactics.

The only occasion where your scenario came into play was at home to Germany where he put Fletcher and Martin up front for the last 10 minutes, Strachan clearly realised pumping long balls into the box was our only hope which is why he kept Fletcher up front with him. The other game where we really needed a goal, against Georgia away, he didn't get on and Fletcher played the full 90 minutes. I'd say it's pretty clear Strachan just sees him as a back-up version of Fletcher. When Fletcher gets tired/injured he'll come on and try and do the same job.

I agree, but it's a wrong attitude to the game. Neither of them can make the ball stick, although without the ball Fletcher is far more effective. His role as a sole forward doesn't bring out anywhere near his best attributes. If it did, we wouldn't be debating it so.fucking much. 

Archived