Malta v Scotland

tartanspark

48 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

If (and I stress it's a massive if) Burke tears up this campaign and turns out to be a top class international, it'll be interesting to see how Strachan handles 'having a Gareth Bale' (and not having the excuse that we lack one), especially if we don't qualify.

He'll still persist in playing James Forrest so we don't need to worry about that. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should we be concerned that if Burke is indeed the precocious golden child, Strachan has the ability to manage him properly? He's a very negative person, but i can't work out if it's to the extent that he'd either try to bolt the lad's feet to the floor when he's just been handed a massive boost, or conversely lay all his hopes on him purely because of his move? 

He's a sleekit b*****d, Strachan. Mark my words. 

As a few other people have posted, there are/should be 8 nailed on starters if fit:

Marshall

Hutton, Martin, Hanley, Robertson 

Ritchie, Snodgrass, Burke 

In the 'defensive' midfield two spots there are 4 players who could be chosen- Fletcher, McArthur,Bannan and Morrison. I suspect Strachan will give the nod to Fletcher and Morrison but personally I would prefer McArthur in there.

I'm a fan of Steven Fletcher but even I reckon Griffiths should get the nod for this game but it wouldn't surprise me if Strachan sticks with Fletcher or one of the others before Griffiths.

9 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Going by the make-up of the squad it looks certain Steven Fletcher will start. We know from the last couple of years that Strachan sees Martin as a replacement for Fletcher, so the fact they are both in the squad suggests Fletcher will start and Martin the back-up to him. It would make no sense to select them both and have them both sit on the bench as in Strachan's eyes it's 2 versions of the same player. It only makes sense to pick both if you plan to start one and have the other for back-up, like he did in the last campaign. I think he'll have Fletcher and Griffiths up front with 2 from Burke/Ritchie/Snodgrass out wide.

I'm not sure about that.  I think he has four strikers who are all fairly different to each other.  He sees Martin as his "need a goal with 10 minutes to go" targetman, who basically stands in the box like a big traffic cone in the hope that the ball bounces in off his arse, while Fletcher is more there to hold the ball up and bring others into the game.

I'm not sure about that.  I think he has four strikers who are all fairly different to each other.  He sees Martin as his "need a goal with 10 minutes to go" targetman, who basically stands in the box like a big traffic cone in the hope that the ball bounces in off his arse, while Fletcher is more there to hold the ball up and bring others into the game.

He sees Martin as his "need a goal with 10 minutes to go" targetman, who basically stands in the box like a big traffic cone in the hope that the ball bounces in off his arse,

Not many have that type of ability...now I know why he is an international player

What i dont understand is that strachan bangs on about wanting players that are playing first team football. Yet picks Hutton who cant get a game for villa and does not pick bardsley who gets a game for stoke. I also think bardsley is a better player than hutton

2 hours ago, Aufc said:

What i dont understand is that strachan bangs on about wanting players that are playing first team football. Yet picks Hutton who cant get a game for villa and does not pick bardsley who gets a game for stoke. I also think bardsley is a better player than hutton

Then maybe he believes that Hutton is a better player than Bardsley.  I don't think this would be an issue if Hutton was, say, an attacking midfielder.  Or a left back. W e're spoilt for choice in those positions, whereas not so much here.  I don't really pay much attention to the Premier League - is Bardsley regularly playing at right back or is he one of the versatile ones and fitting in at center back?  Maybe it's a personal thing behind the scenes, or maybe he just prefers Hutton who hasn't really let him down, even whilst he was getting pretty much no games.

If there was a markedly better option, I imagine Hutton would be nothing but a squad player.  In his eyes that doesn't seem to be a case, "better option" is very subjective.

1 hour ago, Aufc said:

Ps typical scottish fashion that Burke will get built up to be a world beater before most people see him

Exactly.  Outrageously negative at most points, until we see someone we can fire all our expectation at.  I can't wait for the "see, I knew he was shite" posts when he doesn't score forty over the ten games.  Malta is going to be a good introduction for him, even if he doesn't start.  Then we've got Lithuania at home for him next if he's hit the ground running in Germany.  We need to clam down just a bit about him, at least for now.

12 hours ago, Officer Barbrady said:

Should we be concerned that if Burke is indeed the precocious golden child, Strachan has the ability to manage him properly? He's a very negative person, but i can't work out if it's to the extent that he'd either try to bolt the lad's feet to the floor when he's just been handed a massive boost, or conversely lay all his hopes on him purely because of his move? 

He's a sleekit b*****d, Strachan. Mark my words. 

Agree m8, Strachan would probably just cut off his feet altogether, that would stop him getting above his station. He'll then blame him for not being able to stand up on his own two feet. He's played this game before.

The amount of mystic megs we have in here is frightening.

1 hour ago, forameus said:

Then maybe he believes that Hutton is a better player than Bardsley.  I don't think this would be an issue if Hutton was, say, an attacking midfielder.  Or a left back. W e're spoilt for choice in those positions, whereas not so much here.  I don't really pay much attention to the Premier League - is Bardsley regularly playing at right back or is he one of the versatile ones and fitting in at center back?  Maybe it's a personal thing behind the scenes, or maybe he just prefers Hutton who hasn't really let him down, even whilst he was getting pretty much no games.

If there was a markedly better option, I imagine Hutton would be nothing but a squad player.  In his eyes that doesn't seem to be a case, "better option" is very subjective.

Exactly.  Outrageously negative at most points, until we see someone we can fire all our expectation at.  I can't wait for the "see, I knew he was shite" posts when he doesn't score forty over the ten games.  Malta is going to be a good introduction for him, even if he doesn't start.  Then we've got Lithuania at home for him next if he's hit the ground running in Germany.  We need to clam down just a bit about him, at least for now.

If Bardsley was capable of filling in the centre, leaving him out would be a much greater crime than leaving him out because he rates Hutton better. We know of no reason why he isn't selected, but its worth a question, surely. 

1 hour ago, troopio said:

No one In the media has the balls to ask him tough questions though, he seems to have this hold over them whereby difficult questions are not allowed to be asked

I think he does get asked them, but he makes some sarcastic remark, usually with a complete non-sequitur added in, the press in the room chuckle, then everyone moves on to the next question.

I reckon Strachan will go with:

Marshall

Hutton Martin Hanley Robertson

Fletcher McArthur

Ritchie Snodgrass Anya

Fletcher

However, I'd have Bannan in there and Griffiths (if fit). If there's doubts over Snoddy, give Burke his chance!

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Agree m8, Strachan would probably just cut off his feet altogether, that would stop him getting above his station. He'll then blame him for not being able to stand up on his own two feet. He's played this game before.

More frightening than the manager's decrying of his own players? Listen, Strachan didn't go finding this lad after trawling League 2, and getting him noticed....and it's worth pointing out that he as achieved nothing yet, despite a lucrative and well-documented move. That said, they (RBL) didn't go for a more established player, for whatever reason......its their money to spend how they like. This shouldn't change anything about how Strachan planned to prepare for the game, as he picked him based on playing for Forest. But he has a lot of previous in talking utter bollocks about such things, and giving reasons for inclusions/omissions. It's a perfectly valid concern. 

Frightening? Naw just depressing

There's a separate thread for that shite

I reckon Strachan will go with:

Marshall

Hutton Martin Hanley Robertson

Fletcher McArthur

Ritchie Snodgrass Anya

Fletcher

However, I'd have Bannan in there and Griffiths (if fit). If there's doubts over Snoddy, give Burke his chance!

Anya has barley kicked a ball this season so I doubt he'll play when we have wingers in good form. Three of the back four have barely played this year as well but that's our main problem area and I actually think he will go with that back four. Maybe Paterson in for Hutton but I doubt it.

I think Anya will be replaced with Forrest or Burke and perhaps Griffiths might have a slim chance of starting although I doubt that as well.

Archived