• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marshall

Hutton, Martin, Hanley, Robertson

Burke, Fletcher, Morrison, Bannan

Snodgrass

Naismith

One of the most glaring issues with 'the system' in the last campaign was that it actively seemed to invite pressure on the defence, in order to play to the strengths of our attacking midfielders on the counter. As such we looked uncomfortable in the spells where we had to keep possession, especially home and away against Georgia who sat back and happily watched us create next to nothing with the ball. 

I think Malta will be closer to Georgia than Gibraltar in terms of the challenge they'll pose to our quality in posession, so I think it's worth including an extra central midfielder as trying to break them down from deep should prove more effective than playing direct into a crowded final third. I think the above gives plenty of options: the ability to retain possession and play from deep; pace and directness; physical presence; set piece ability; and also Naismith's movement up front which I think is the most intelligent of the available strikers. I'm a fan of Ritchie but I'm not sure we would need all of him, Snodgrass and Burke here.

Would take a one goal win right now, and I think that's what we'll get.

The exclusion of McCormack is beyond baffling - Manager of National team should be beyond petty disagreements.He should be attempting to rebuild bridges if there has indeed been a fallout. Squad looks about as weak as I can ever remember - almost on a par with Bertie Vogts era and that is really saying something. 

I just about spat out my multi grain shapes laughing when I read that someone thinks Hutton has done well :lol:

He has for Scotland though, Poland away is the only time he's made a c**t of it for as long as I can remember. The fact that some people have jumped on to a bandwagon about him doesn't change that

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

He has for Scotland though, Poland away is the only time he's made a c**t of it for as long as I can remember. The fact that some people have jumped on to a bandwagon about him doesn't change that

I couldn't tell you the last time Hutton was impressive in a Scotland shirt. Mostly it's amazement that he's not completely pish.

Got to hand it to folk criticising Griffiths for pulling out. The guy shows up for friendlies, knowing he's not going to get a look in most likely but then when he has a chance of starting a qualifier, he can't be arsed? Are people being serious?

Total joke that McCormack isn't involved. Fletcher up front with Martin or Watt in reserve, fucking yaldi.

Burke will probably start because he's been in the papers all week.

Regarding Griffiths, players don't pull out. They are sent home. I don't think he's remotely up to playing for Scotland, but he's not going home in a huff.

Regarding McCormack, it's plain Strachan doesn't rate him, just as he doesn't rate Rhodes. Folk shouldn't be surprised when these guys don't get called up. They never will under Strachan.

Griffiths has been increasingly frustrated at not getting game time for Scotland - understandable considering his form for Celtic. I think he has a knock, but could play through it if he thought he was going to start. As it stands, I reckon he thinks he'll be on the bench so doesn't want to waste a trip - and save himself for next week.

We'll never know for sure, but I'd bet my house that he starts in the Old Firm game.

I reckon the nailed on starters are Marshall, Hanley, Martin, Robertson, D. Fletcher, Ritchie and S. Fletcher. Snodgrass will play if fit. That leaves 3 spaces where decisions have to be made - Hutton/Paterson at full back, Morrison/Bannan for centre mid and Naismith/Forrest/Burke/Anya fighting for the remaining place (or 2 if Snodgrass is out).

We need the three points or it's going to be another disappointing campaign!

Griffiths is easily our best striker, however, if he is carrying a slight knock I wouldn't risk him against Malta considering the injury could get worse and he could then potentially miss some of the crucial qualifiers further down the line (and some v.important club games :P).

We *should* have enough to beat Malta without him.

Griffiths is clearly carrying a slight injury. Seems to be keen to be involved with Scotland otherwise. Wallace won't get in the starting 11 and Watt's a good player but won't start either I shouldn't think. 

36 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Regarding McCormack, it's plain Strachan doesn't rate him, just as he doesn't rate Rhodes. Folk shouldn't be surprised when these guys don't get called up. They never will under Strachan.

They've both been called up multiple times under Strachan.

4 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

I just about spat out my multi grain shapes laughing when I read that someone thinks Hutton has done well :lol:

Multi grain shapes are just bad, m'kay...?

Emancipate yourself from the perennial morning ritual of cereal and don't be a slave to the sugar industry.

Archived