Malta v Scotland

tartanspark

When I said he was different gravy you 2 strokers were straight on with your negative I know best routine.

We shall see what he's about over the next few years. I believe in him and think he will score against malta if started. Nothing wrong at all with my view.

You 2(foruranus,1320litchie) can rubbish him all you want, it will you who has egg on your grids when he delivers

My negative I know best routine? Whit? What did I say like? :lol:

I'm not rubbishing him either.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, kenny131 said:

When I said he was different gravy you 2 strokers were straight on with your negative I know best routine.

We shall see what he's about over the next few years. I believe in him and think he will score against malta if started. Nothing wrong at all with my view.

You 2(foruranus,1320litchie) can rubbish him all you want, it will you who has egg on your grids when he delivers

Yeah, much as it'll give you a stauner, have to agree with 1320lichtie.  I've never rubbished him at any point.  Which you probably know, but that isn't going to make a very good tear-stained post, is it?

He'll be a good player, probably a very good player.  Maybe he will be world class at one point too, and I'll be absolutely delighted if he does.  But this is the same old story as many, many players before him.  Hyped up to an insane degree that he would have absolutely no chance of actually meeting.  I'd rather pitch my expectations at a realistic level, so that when he proves me wrong and becomes much better than that, I can be delighted.  You absolutely ripping the heid off it over him, where do you go when he's "just" very good?  He's essentially not met your expectations.  

So can you see why I might not be getting out the bunting just yet?  Or should I make it a bit simpler for you?  A few nice pictures?  Or maybe a wee pithy riff on your name to give you some chuckles?

12 minutes ago, forameus said:

Yeah, much as it'll give you a stauner, have to agree with 1320lichtie.  I've never rubbished him at any point.  Which you probably know, but that isn't going to make a very good tear-stained post, is it?

He'll be a good player, probably a very good player.  Maybe he will be world class at one point too, and I'll be absolutely delighted if he does.  But this is the same old story as many, many players before him.  Hyped up to an insane degree that he would have absolutely no chance of actually meeting.  I'd rather pitch my expectations at a realistic level, so that when he proves me wrong and becomes much better than that, I can be delighted.  You absolutely ripping the heid off it over him, where do you go when he's "just" very good?  He's essentially not met your expectations.  

So can you see why I might not be getting out the bunting just yet?  Or should I make it a bit simpler for you?  A few nice pictures?  Or maybe a wee pithy riff on your name to give you some chuckles?

Yawn  another tear stained pile of shite. At leadt your reliable for that.

18 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Where?

13:23 in their Sportsday Live page.  The exact headline is "Scotland's Gareth Bale?" so they're just asking the question to be fair.  But the article they link to certainly goes along those lines.

8 minutes ago, kenny131 said:

Yawn  another tear stained pile of shite. At leadt your reliable for that.

:lol: One day Kenny...one day you'll actually answer a post.  That's several you've replied to me on.  I disagree with something you say, outline the points why I disagree, then you come back with something like that, using something I said in reply.  You're essentially replying "I know you are but what am I", which most people grow out of in their early years.  Personally it's great, because it just shows what an absolute zoomer you are, but you could do so much better than that.

11 minutes ago, forameus said:

13:23 in their Sportsday Live page.  The exact headline is "Scotland's Gareth Bale?" so they're just asking the question to be fair.  But the article they link to certainly goes along those lines.

It's all stemmed from one of Burke's team mates saying that he has similar attributes (Strachan jumped on that line as well to be fair), which he does appear to have to be fair. I'm not one for comparing young guys to the best players in the world as soon as they score a goal (Gauld to Messi being the prime example), but I'd say suggesting he has similar attributes is okay.

13 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

It's all stemmed from one of Burke's team mates saying that he has similar attributes (Strachan jumped on that line as well to be fair), which he does appear to have to be fair. I'm not one for comparing young guys to the best players in the world as soon as they score a goal (Gauld to Messi being the prime example), but I'd say suggesting he has similar attributes is okay.

Yeah, but it's these kinds of soundbites that are dangerous.  You could say that a player is the new Gareth Bale because he has a particularly simian face, but people are going to see the short, snappy headline and hype up the player.  Like I've (always) said, if he ends up living up to him quality wise, then I'll be delighted.  I'd just rather give the guy a bit of room to become the player he can be before putting huge taglines on him.

Plus I never really like the constant comparison to existing players.

Just now, forameus said:

Yeah, but it's these kinds of soundbites that are dangerous.  You could say that a player is the new Gareth Bale because he has a particularly simian face, but people are going to see the short, snappy headline and hype up the player.  Like I've (always) said, if he ends up living up to him quality wise, then I'll be delighted.  I'd just rather give the guy a bit of room to become the player he can be before putting huge taglines on him.

Plus I never really like the constant comparison to existing players.

No one has called him "the next Gareth Bale" though and I don't think it's our fault if simpletons equate "he's quite tall and fast like Bale was" to that. I mainly agree with you though, let the guy play and we'll see how good he is.

44 minutes ago, forameus said:

:lol: One day Kenny...one day you'll actually answer a post.  That's several you've replied to me on.  I disagree with something you say, outline the points why I disagree, then you come back with something like that, using something I said in reply.  You're essentially replying "I know you are but what am I", which most people grow out of in their early years.  Personally it's great, because it just shows what an absolute zoomer you are, but you could do so much better than that.

Aye sure no worries. The fountain of knowledge you are.

Going by the make-up of the squad it looks certain Steven Fletcher will start. We know from the last couple of years that Strachan sees Martin as a replacement for Fletcher, so the fact they are both in the squad suggests Fletcher will start and Martin the back-up to him. It would make no sense to select them both and have them both sit on the bench as in Strachan's eyes it's 2 versions of the same player. It only makes sense to pick both if you plan to start one and have the other for back-up, like he did in the last campaign. I think he'll have Fletcher and Griffiths up front with 2 from Burke/Ritchie/Snodgrass out wide.

The boy is raw but he does have some talent, whether he has enough, time will tell. There is miles of difference in doing the business for Forest and doing it in the Bundesliga. Hope he gets the time and everyone's patience. Wish him all the best as he'll likely need it.

If (and I stress it's a massive if) Burke tears up this campaign and turns out to be a top class international, it'll be interesting to see how Strachan handles 'having a Gareth Bale' (and not having the excuse that we lack one), especially if we don't qualify.

If (and I stress it's a massive if) Burke tears up this campaign and turns out to be a top class international, it'll be interesting to see how Strachan handles 'having a Gareth Bale' (and not having the excuse that we lack one), especially if we don't qualify.

Burkes not going to be anywhere near the level of Bale (if ever) in the next 2 year he's only a decent English championship player with good potential at the moment and 19 years old.

Burkes not going to be anywhere near the level of Bale (if ever) in the next 2 year he's only a decent English championship player with good potential at the moment and 19 years old.

Yeah realised as I was posting that my point will be more relevant if Strachan is still Scotland boss in the next campaign or the one after... And that's only likely if he does qualify for this one or one soon after... er, thereby negating my point.
1472502891599.jpg.ff9128ae6139a9be9b621b

Archived