Malta v Scotland

tartanspark

6 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Aye like Italy, Croatia and Bulgaria did....

I think we should be winning. But it's not a walk in the park like some are making out.

Friendly results mean f**k all as well by the way.

They mean less than competitive games, but they still mean something.  And how do you know how comfortable or otherwise the games you mentioned were?  Just taking a look at the match stats of the Italy game at home, they were absolutely battered throughout.  Late goal though, so I take that point, but to say that wasn't a comfortable win is probably stretching it.  But then I didn't see the match either, so maybe the stats lie.

Just for the avoidance of doubt, when I say "winning comfortably", I mean we should be going out and dominating them because we are a better side than them.  If that means we win 1-0, then great.  Goal difference is going to come into effect in the group, but at this stage a win where we look like we totally deserve it is marginally more important than a performance that sees us being a defensive shambles, but still winning by a large margin (remember Gibraltar at Hampden?).  2-0 where we have the majority of the game would be most pleasing.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If everyone in the squad is fit then I'd pick the following team.

Marshall

Hutton
Martin
Hanley
Robertson

McArthur
Bannan

Ritchie
Snodgrass
Burke

Griffiths

If Griffiths is out, bring in Naismith.  If Snodgrass is out, bring in Morrison or Forrest.

This is the perfect game for bannan actually. We need someone who can create from deep. It's something we've missed in recent years, brown, Fletcher, Macarthur all good holding players but none that can pull the strings against the lesser teams. Bannan has been in great form for the past year

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

If everyone in the squad is fit then I'd pick the following team.

Marshall

Hutton
Martin
Hanley
Robertson

McArthur
Bannan

Ritchie
Snodgrass
Burke

Griffiths

If Griffiths is out, bring in Naismith.  If Snodgrass is out, bring in Morrison or Forrest.

I'd be happy with that. Quite a powerful looking 3 behind Griffiths.

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Take it nobody's even bothered looking at Maltas results from their last campaign???

Italy 1-0 Malta
Malta 0-1 Italy
Croatia 2-0 Malta
Malta 0-1 Croatia
Bulgaria 1-1 Malta
Malta 0-1 Bulgaria

People treating them as if they're Gibraltar or San Marino...

They don't give away many goals and we're pump at scoring goals (a bit less pump than we used to be, admittedly). 

That said, I think we will perform. I reckon it'll be 3-1 to us (them scoring first).

18 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

They don't give away many goals and we're pump at scoring goals (a bit less pump than we used to be, admittedly). 

That set of results leaves out the games against Norway and Azerbaijan for some reason, two sides which failed to quality and put nine past them in four games. It's still a decent record but the selective picking of fixtures is a bit disingenuous.

That set of results leaves out the games against Norway and Azerbaijan for some reason, two sides which failed to quality and put nine past them in four games. It's still a decent record but the selective picking of fixtures is a bit disingenuous.

Azerbaijan 2-0 Malta

Malta 2-2 Azerbaijan

Norway 2-0 Malta

Malta 0-3 Norway

Were the other 4 results. All 10 results, the Norway home game and Azerbaijan away aside, were very respectable. It'll be a much tougher task than Gibraltar.

Probably more similar to the games we had against Liechtenstein a few years ago, look how close they were.

3 minutes ago, kenny131 said:

Would not surprise me at all,   I hope he starts up front if he does he will score a few

Why don't we play him in defence?  We're weakest there, and surely he's that good that he'd easily be better than anything we have?

Or we could just, you know, play him in the position he's best in so we can get the best out of him.

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Azerbaijan 2-0 Malta

Malta 2-2 Azerbaijan

Norway 2-0 Malta

Malta 0-3 Norway

Were the other 4 results. All 10 results, the Norway home game and Azerbaijan away aside, were very respectable. It'll be a much tougher task than Gibraltar.

Probably more similar to the games we had against Liechtenstein a few years ago, look how close they were.

They'll be tougher than Gibraltar aye but let's be honest, they're hardly Brazil.  They scored 3 goals the entire campaign and two of those were against Azerbaijan (conceding 16 in the process). We should have more than enough to have two comfortable wins against them.

1 hour ago, forameus said:

Why don't we play him in defence?  We're weakest there, and surely he's that good that he'd easily be better than anything we have?

Or we could just, you know, play him in the position he's best in so we can get the best out of him.

He has played upfront for forest, so it is a position he has played before. Primarily he is on the wing either position will do me as long as he starts

What's so funny about that,   ah wait a minute it's 1320 Lichtie no need to explain

If he starts upfront he will score a few

No pressure then eh, Malta have conceded 5 goals in 4 games against teams and players as good as Italy's and Croatia's in the last campaign but give this guy his competitive debut out of position up top and 'he will score a few'

Think people are getting carried away here, I'd love it if he did but settle down and give the guy a chance ffs :lol:

11 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

If he starts upfront he will score a few

No pressure then eh, Malta have conceded 5 goals in 4 games against teams and players as good as Italy's and Croatia's in the last campaign but give this guy his competitive debut out of position up top and 'he will score a few'

Think people are getting carried away here, I'd love it if he did but settle down and give the guy a chance ffs :lol:

Aye but that's pure negative, and you're totally talking down Scotland by saying that.  Shame.

And BBC are now referring to him as "Scotland's Gareth Bale"...it begins :rolleyes:

When I said he was different gravy you 2 strokers were straight on with your negative I know best routine.

We shall see what he's about over the next few years. I believe in him and think he will score against malta if started. Nothing wrong at all with my view.

You 2(foruranus,1320litchie) can rubbish him all you want, it will you who has egg on your grids when he delivers

Archived