Peterhead v Ayr United; Ayr United v Peterhead

I think you have hit the nail on the head with that, we had the same problem with a small squad last season as well. We seemed to increase numbers slightly this year but not enough for a club that is serious about actually doing something in the play offs and a cup run. I know there is a quality/quantity argue but I think we are proof that sometimes you just need the numbers. The other problem could be that Jim has said he has already been offering players contracts so I am not sure how many of that squad have anything to play for.

Can't agree with that at all, surely winning promotion to the Championship and taking the club to their highest-ever league ranking is motivation enough, regardless of having a new contract?

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't agree with that at all, surely winning promotion to the Championship and taking the club to their highest-ever league ranking is motivation enough, regardless of having a new contract?

You would think so but have you seen us play the last few weeks? It has been dire, players haven't looked motivated at all. Maybe it is fatigue, but you would hope players could get psyched up for the play offs but we just haven't seen it.

You would think so but have you seen us play the last few weeks? It has been dire, players haven't looked motivated at all. Maybe it is fatigue, but you would hope players could get psyched up for the play offs but we just haven't seen it.

The players have looked up for the game both times against us. Until the point they accepted they were getting their telts handed to them about an hour in.

I thought we were excellent last night - full of energy and had pace to burn. We also scored our 2nd and 3rd at really important periods in the game.

Opening 20 minutes were frantic to say the least but I thought it made for a thoroughly enjoyable game of football.

We were good all over the park but we won the midfield battle with terrific performances from both Doc and Robbie Crawford. Robbie thoroughly deserving of the goal he scored.

But... Jordan Preston. Wow. What an unbelievable hit, left Smith with no chance. He has recaptured his form of earlier in the season and him and Moore look a real force.

That being said, it's not over yet. I do expect Peterhead to go all guns blazing on Saturday and an early goal changed the game and will make for a nervy affair. A goal for Ayr would all but kill the tie.

Looking forward to it. If we play the way we did last night, we have nothing to fear on Saturday (and hopefully beyond that).

First goal will be key on Saturday, If Peterhead get it, the Somerset old guard will be in full voice and get right on the players backs, Ayr get it and I can see Peter Murphy mazey runs from the back and all sorts........

We are more than capable of fcuking this right up

First goal will be key on Saturday, If Peterhead get it, the Somerset old guard will be in full voice and get right on the players backs, Ayr get it and I can see Peter Murphy mazey runs from the back and all sorts........

We are more than capable of fcuking this right up

Get an early an early goal and we kill the tie IMO. However if Peterhead grab an early goal they are more than capable to score a couple with Rory up front. Don't want to be sitting in the last ten minutes hanging on for our lives and I certainly don't want extra time or a penalty shoot out. Don't think I could sit through penalties.

P.S any Peterhead fans actually turning up for this game.

I think you have hit the nail on the head with that, we had the same problem with a small squad last season as well. We seemed to increase numbers slightly this year but not enough for a club that is serious about actually doing something in the play offs and a cup run. I know there is a quality/quantity argue but I think we are proof that sometimes you just need the numbers. The other problem could be that Jim has said he has already been offering players contracts so I am not sure how many of that squad have anything to play for.

Thought that before you played Cowden (when they ended your unbeaten run) the talk was quite defeatist. Seemed to be that reaching the playoffs was "job done".

Is it set who is at home for which leg in the final not seen anything to confirm

If it's Livi we are home first leg and if it's Stranraer we are away first leg. Basically highest ranked team gets home advantage second leg

cool cheers guys. Hopefully its Stranraer never had the chance to see us win promotion at Somerset think its been nearly 30 years since that occurred could be cracking atmosphere. 

Can't see Peterhead giving us many problems on Saturday. They look in the same position as ourselves at the start of the year when the likes of Cowdenbeath were turning us over. Good all round performance last night and never really looked too troubled. Not sure if that's the first time this season McCall has picked a team with all players playing in their natural positions. Prestons goals were outstanding and he looks to be coming good at the right time. Thought McRobbie at right midfield played very well and at last we had a wide midfielder who got involved at both ends of the pitch. With the energy he brings and a settled midfield pairing it may now also allow us to play a luxury player like Stevenston/Forrest and get some goals from them.

With numerous years of heartache and joy as an Ayr supporter, I was 100% not going to any of the playoff games. This was down to the fact that the disappointment in not gaining promotion is almost unbearable for me. Especially this season when there is a sniff of a chance that killie could go down also. I love Ayr United with all my heart and I was so so so happy after Tuesday's result. I was on such a high. Then comes last nights result. Shocker or what. Now my heart is starting to think that we are going to do it this year. My head, however, is saying to SLOW DOWN son, it's only half time etc etc. I've seen Ayr United play home and away since the mid 80's and I can't explain why it still gets right under my skin, even when I'm deliberately trying to ignore it all. I've deleted and reinstalled the pie and bovril app more times than I can remember this season, not being able to suffer the gloating from the Pars fans during our fall from top spot.

Today I had to go and watch my family cat be put to sleep. A short illness saw her off and she was done. She was 19 years old. Things like that put life into perspective, but, it also makes you think about time.

I want Ayr and killie in the same league next season so much that I think I would actually be happy to lose a few fingers / an ear / not quite an arm but not far off it.

Please, please, please do not f@ck this up. I beg you, I BEG you do not f@ck this up.

Anyway, I'll be there now on Saturday, trying to drag the team over the half way line from the terraces. Might dig out my Ragazzi scarf for the occasion. It's never seen us lose.

Let's get the 1st part of the job done lads!

With numerous years of heartache and joy as an Ayr supporter, I was 100% not going to any of the playoff games. This was down to the fact that the disappointment in not gaining promotion is almost unbearable for me. Especially this season when there is a sniff of a chance that killie could go down also. I love Ayr United with all my heart and I was so so so happy after Tuesday's result. I was on such a high. Then comes last nights result. Shocker or what. Now my heart is starting to think that we are going to do it this year. My head, however, is saying to SLOW DOWN son, it's only half time etc etc. I've seen Ayr United play home and away since the mid 80's and I can't explain why it still gets right under my skin, even when I'm deliberately trying to ignore it all. I've deleted and reinstalled the pie and bovril app more times than I can remember this season, not being able to suffer the gloating from the Pars fans during our fall from top spot.

Today I had to go and watch my family cat be put to sleep. A short illness saw her off and she was done. She was 19 years old. Things like that put life into perspective, but, it also makes you think about time.

I want Ayr and killie in the same league next season so much that I think I would actually be happy to lose a few fingers / an ear / not quite an arm but not far off it.

Please, please, please do not f@ck this up. I beg you, I BEG you do not f@ck this up.

Anyway, I'll be there now on Saturday, trying to drag the team over the half way line from the terraces. Might dig out my Ragazzi scarf for the occasion. It's never seen us lose.

Let's get the 1st part of the job done lads!

If you get to the final you can watch it on the TV on BBC Alba so you can switch it off if need be

Just seen the final will be Wednesday 7.45pm and Sunday 2.45pm live on BBC Alba for the winners. Ayr or Peterhead would be away to Stranraer mid week then home on the Sunday and home on the Wednesday and away on the Sunday should it be Livi.

With Livingston heading for relegation

Our destination is Stranraer Train Station

There's plenty of time to sink some cans

Aboard a draughty train with all Ayr's fans

Oh Brian Reid, what became of you?

Did Ian McCall shit in your shoe?

Remember you sold Stevo to Hearts, for a pack of Jam Tarts?

Well now he's back to tear you apart.

Archived