What has happened in your life time that you never expected to happen

Everything. Up until the early sixties life hadn't basically changed for hundreds of years. The last twenty years especially, changes have been beyond anything most people could have imagined

How is life different compared to 1996? Mobiles and the internet are more widespread but its a very similar society. In the 1830/40s the sudden arrival of the telegraph and railways meant that for the first time messages could be sent hundreds of miles near instantly and people could travel faster than horses in relative comfort. I have seen a number of people suggest that was the single biggest break with the past in a short time. 

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How is life different compared to 1996? Mobiles and the internet are more widespread but its a very similar society. In the 1830/40s the sudden arrival of the telegraph and railways meant that for the first time messages could be sent hundreds of miles near instantly and people could travel faster than horses in relative comfort. I have seen a number of people suggest that was the single biggest break with the past in a short time. 

I'd say instant communication to nearly everyone on the planet and access to nearly all the world's knowledge in seconds, with a device smaller than a pack of cards would be pretty mindblowing to someone in the 60's.

I'd say instant communication to nearly everyone on the planet and access to nearly all the world's knowledge in seconds, with a device smaller than a pack of cards would be pretty mindblowing to someone in the 60's.

A computer with super-slow dial up which mean you get chucked off if you're expecting a phone call would have blown their mind tbf. That and a pocket calculator.

http://www.wimp.com/arthur-c-clarke-predicting-the-future-in-1964/

Global wireless communications were on the drawing boards in the 60s. In some ways computers were massively over estimated. In 2001 the computer, HAL was full artificial intelligence. What they got badly wrong was the sheer scale of the problem of AI. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep was set in 2021 and expected androids to be as smart as humans and us to settling other planets. It was written in 1968. 

Russia is the undisputed current leaders in manned space. NASA the undisputed leaders in unmanned space. America will likely retake the lead in manned space by the end of 2017 as SpaceX and Boeing both have brand new, high technology manned capsules in the final stages of development, with first unammned flights slotted for a few months from now. 

China uses basically old Soviet technology and has managed 12 people into orbital flight. The shuttle managed something like 833 astronaut flights (many of those will be the same person on different missions) and Russia put 15 people into orbit in 2015.

Aye, that's why I posted in this thread.

Growing up I wouldn't have believed the hams would've taken their foot off the gas.

Russia is the undisputed current leaders in manned space. NASA the undisputed leaders in unmanned space. America will likely retake the lead in manned space by the end of 2017 as SpaceX and Boeing both have brand new, high technology manned capsules in the final stages of development, with first unammned flights slotted for a few months from now. 

China uses basically old Soviet technology and has managed 12 people into orbital flight. The shuttle managed something like 833 astronaut flights (many of those will be the same person on different missions) and Russia put 15 people into orbit in 2015. 

They should really invest in some modern technology.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/china-fireworks-factory-explosion-kills-12/

The death of Rangers.

Kilmarnock beating Celtic in a cup final at Hampden AND the referee booking a Celtic player for diving in the last minute of injury time instead of giving a penalty.

9/11.

Enjoying crepes.

David icke called it quite well.

I'm worried you're going to end up in an Icke-inspired death cult. Think of Skidmarks - what would he say?

Anyway, in 1990 I'd have been blown away by the idea that I'd own a machine that could play games from every single computer around, all at the same time. While doing actual constructive stuff too.

Also that I'd end up being a fan of Alloa Athletic, who I'd only recently become aware of after the promotion season of 1988/89.

Good point about the railway and telegraph, but in personal terms alone there have been enormous changes in my lifetime. It still amazes me that my phone is more powerful than the ones used by NASA in the space programme

Hibs winning the Scottish Cup.

(This post should be kept in reserve until the appropriate moment).

I wonder what the odds are of them doing it before you die. 

I used to work for a computer recycling company, and there was high demand for used Intel 286/386 and Motorola 68000 processors from Eastern Europe and Asia. Last I heard, there were moves afoot by the government to restrict their export, as they were popular for use in rockets due to the low heat output, and because the technology is so well-known and stable.

For those who don't know, these were used in popular computers in the Eighties.

Hibs winning the Scottish Cup.

(This post should be kept in reserve until the appropriate moment).

I'll ask the wean to repost this, as neither of us will be here to do so.

Edit: f**k you, Throbber   :P

Archived