The St. Mirren FC 2016/17 Thread.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Of course there is. And it's still technically not too late now if we appoint correctly. My point was though that if it had been left to continue, there would have been zero point in looking at teams in 4th an up, we'd have never troubled above 8th this season. Who knows? We still might not!!

Yes, but all I'm saying is that a relatively modest aspiration like staying in the division will not really feel suitable for St Mirren.  This change is probably therefore more motivated by a desire to get up, rather than any genuine fear about going down.  

I suppose the two go hand in hand in a way, but if survival was considered enough,sacking the manager in September would probably not be considered.

Really surprised we've pulled the trigger so early in the season but I'm not disappointed. Rae did well to steady things last season but the hideously unbalanced squad he cobbled together this season and his total stubbornness with tactics suggested that things were never going to get any better.

Get Jim back as player-manager for a laugh.

Unfortunately this went exactly like those pesky Dundee fans said it would. Rae would come in, boot arse, pull the squad together and get results.

Then when it came to building his own squad, he'd sign decent on paper but they'd swiftly grow to resent him as he'd lose the place and lose their respect, suffering dreadfully in his next season.

It happened to them and at least a couple of them said it'd happen to us. Damn Dundee fans.

1 minute ago, RabG1869 said:

What do you think of James fowler as next manger. I personally think he could do well at st mirren

I can't imagine that someone sacked by a smaller club that has since done well, would be on St Mirren's radar here.

I suppose Gus fits that Bill, but at least he's done well elsewhere in the meantime and is known to them.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I can't imagine that someone sacked by a smaller club that has since done well, would be on St Mirren's radar here.

I suppose Gus fits that Bill, but at least he's done well elsewhere in the meantime and is known to them.

Agreed. Gus has a good track record over the piece. His turn at Palmerston was shite but aside from that he's been consistently decent.

Archived