Will Dundee United come straight back up again?

Promotion?  

260 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Very few clubs do bounce back at one attempt, Mixu is correct in that its toxic at the club, but he has to share some f the blame. Most relegated clubs that come down not being able to kick their own arse, do similar in the championship, Hearts ended the season well where the points reduction fecked them and they brought in good players to improve that.

Some the current Utd players can't pass a ball 5yards, A lot of them are stealing a wage pretending to be footballers. A major rebuilding job required, something that's not easy in this division.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the last seven years, on three occasions the team relegated from the Premiership has bounced straight back up with two of them coming in the last three years. It's certainly possible but looking in from the outside, a lot needs to change from top to bottom.

ICT went straight back up six years ago.  They still had a core of senior players who had won the First Division before and/or played a lot of football in the top flight (Esson, Tokely, Munro, Duncan, Foran).  They signed Jonny Hayes, who stood out immediately.  And Adam Rooney blossomed from the end of October, after initially struggling in the previous season or so.

Maybe it will be the making of some players.

TBF to TheMessiah he's clearly excited about posting in the top tier forum again and is over exuberant. It happens every time a fan of a smaller, lower league side, visits us up here.

As things stand, no chance.

Should've realised the writing was on the wall and not waste thousands on past it "big name' players.

If they can reorganise the coaching hierarchy and supplement the decent younger players with some proper experienced professional players and the fans get behind them, perhaps.

A poor start could scupper any bounce back this season irrespective of what strategy is put in place.

The past-it players were brought in as an act of desperation - 'save our season' type stuff. But he's got more time now to pick the right manager to get us back up next season.

Are you listening Thompson?  Take your time.  The season's finished, you've got a month or so to recruit the right manager.

The past-it players were brought in as an act of desperation - 'save our season' type stuff. But he's got more time now to pick the right manager to get us back up next season.

Are you listening Thompson? Take your time. The season's finished, you've got a month or so to recruit the right manager.

If he didn't have someine in mind before binning Mixu hes a bigger twat than I thought. Letting all those players go before appointing a gaffer is daft too.

If he didn't have someine in mind before binning Mixu hes a bigger twat than I thought. Letting all those players go before appointing a gaffer is daft too.

He interviewed someone last night

The expectation amongst a fairly sizeable chunk of our fanbase will be to come straight back up. On one hand I fully expect a very tough season (especially given the huge changes ahead) but I will also be expecting us to compete towards the upper end of the division. St.Mirren are a good example of what happens when you are underprepared and make poor choices in managers. However you could also argue that if you look at a side like Raith then if you do have a good manager and you do get things in place then it is a league you can certainly compete in quite comfortably.

My gut instinct is that we will reach the playoffs (the promotion one that is...)

The expectation amongst a fairly sizeable chunk of our fanbase will be to come straight back up. On one hand I fully expect a very tough season (especially given the huge changes ahead) but I will also be expecting us to compete towards the upper end of the division. St.Mirren are a good example of what happens when you are underprepared and make poor choices in managers. However you could also argue that if you look at a side like Raith then if you do have a good manager and you do get things in place then it is a league you can certainly compete in quite comfortably.

My gut instinct is that we will reach the playoffs (the promotion one that is...)

I agree with you. Everybody talking about Hibs - they did have Sevco and Hearts to contend with.

A decent appointment as manager and they won't be far away IMO.

Out of interest what do you base that on?  You have a squad of players who largely havent done anything of note in the Championship (Guys like Moffat etc have always looked good in the wee leagues) and a manager who was an abject failure above League 1 level.

I think Pars will be decent enough next season, but without Mckinnon we would have a pretty good chance of finishing above them - and with Mckinnon I would think its an excellent chance.

And Dundee Utd will finish above the pars with ease.  Dunfermline will likely have a Morton-esque season I think.  Comfortable but not much more.

AJ's had 6 months above League 1 level.

Breaking the team down:

Murdoch is easily good enough.

Talbot is solid enough defensively, has done a job at this level before, same with Fordyce. BRE has improved massively but can sometimes be a bit overexuberant, although he tends to play better the higher the crowd is. Williamson is one of the most promising right-backs in Scotland, whole summer to recover from his leg break as well, same with Fordyce again.

Geggan and Falkingham have both shown to be a top quality Championship midfield pairing (although Falky may well be on his way out too) Cardle plays much better for Dunfermline than he ever has for anyone else because he #lovesthepars, never really got a chance at County and was only at the Rovers to keep fit as well tbf. Paton adds a touch of calm classy quality to the midfield as well.

Moffat looks set to leave, if he stays it will be as cover.

Not saying it will be easy but I think, if AJ can strengthen anything like he did last season then we can and will finish above both the ROvers and United, a lot of that hangs on how well we replace the forward two.

Can see us lining up like this next season:

Murdoch

Williamson/Reid - Fordyce - BRE/Morris - Talbot

Paton - Geggan - Falky/replacement cm - Cardle

Faissal replacement (Clark/Spence) - a.n. other striker (Thomson/White)

Johnstone is very well connected and clearly knows how to spot good players, reckon he'd find it pretty easy to get some good loan players in as well.

A team of proven garbage, many of whom got stomped all over the last time they played at a credible level, and got pummeled when a full-time team popped down, took twelve easy points from you and clinched the title, while you lot were marooned in 7th place in the third tier. Back in your box then.

Given the fairly low chances of Hibs making it through all the way right now, they should pose a significant hindrance to Dundee United bouncing back straight away, at least in terms of their budget. On paper at least any manager taking over would have to be expected to comfortably reach the play-offs, with winning the league as a bonus, though an achievable one. Given that chumps like Terry Butcher have won the league I'm not sure that you necessarily need a manager suited for the long-term - just someone who knows how to wring out the performances in a competitive, but limited league in terms of quality. The lack of credible experience at that level compared to Inverness' squad from a few years ago probably works against them though.

Play-offs but will stay down for a few years IMO.

A team of proven garbage, many of whom got stomped all over the last time they played at a credible level, and got pummeled when a full-time team popped down, took twelve easy points from you and clinched the title, while you lot were marooned in 7th place in the third tier. Back in your box then.

Given the fairly low chances of Hibs making it through all the way right now, they should pose a significant hindrance to Dundee United bouncing back straight away, at least in terms of their budget. On paper at least any manager taking over would have to be expected to comfortably reach the play-offs, with winning the league as a bonus, though an achievable one. Given that chumps like Terry Butcher have won the league I'm not sure that you necessarily need a manager suited for the long-term - just someone who knows how to wring out the performances in a competitive, but limited league in terms of quality. The lack of credible experience at that level compared to Inverness' squad from a few years ago probably works against them though.

Play-offs but will stay down for a few years IMO.

Literally 2 (quite possibly 1 come next season) of the players in that side are still there you gibbering shite.

Must be frustrating knowing that 5th in the Championship is the absolute peak in terms of sustainability for Morton, it will never get anyway better than this. I've seen my team win the league at Cappielow more times than you ever will.

Enjoy stagnation.

Literally 2 (quite possibly 1 come next season) of the players in that side are still there you gibbering shite.

Williamson, Geggan, Falkingham, Thomson and your Moroccan sand-dancer were all at the club just last season: when the club got absolutely fucked four times by The Famous and finished seventh in the third tier with the league's largest budget. Those are facts. Unlucky.

Must be frustrating knowing that 5th in the Championship is the absolute peak

Morton finished 2nd in the same iteration of the current Championship in 2013-14. Fail.

in terms of sustainability for Morton it will never get anyway better than this.

Doubt I'll be listening to any lectures on 'sustainability' from the clown-car outfit that went into administration with £10 million of debt and paid literally 0p in the pound to their creditors.

I've seen my team win the league at Cappielow more times than you ever will.

Morton: 2003, 2015. Dunfermline: 2011; better luck next time.

In terms of contributing anything of relevance or factual accuracy to the site then, you're very much sticking to the habit of your laughable club in getting fucked over by all-comers instead. You hate to see it happen.

Archived