Clyde vs QP/QP vs Clyde - Play off Final

Hard to criticise the players after the few days they have had but the second half performance was so flat and far too many passengers. I was hoping we could keep it to 1-2 as I knew we were unlikely to score but that third goal was a belter and probably puts the tie beyond us.

Marvin Andrews was dreadful apart from in the air but surely Bolo would be a better option in there.

The award of man of the match to Brisbane was hilarious, the amount of misplaced passes and over playing into trouble he did was unreal.

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought it was a pretty even first half and was anticpating more from Clyde in the second half, but for whatever reason the game went slightly flat at the start of the second half and that allowed us to start passing it a bit more. We got the break of the ball for our second, and I'd have been happy for the game to end there and then, so the third flattered us slightly but we'll take it. We were again far from our best, and were fortunate that Clyde were so one-dimensional that there was no plan B for them to fall back on. Had Clyde used the flanks (the way they did at Hampden in the recent league game) before putting the ball in then Gemmell would have caused a lot more damage (that's twice he's scored against us with six yard box headers - but fortunately Bazza hasn't yet worked out how to get the best out of big John yet.) Galt's goal is probably the cleanest strike I've ever seen from a Queen's player (Lorimeresque), whilst once again Willie Muir kept us in it. His goal-line save against Cowden was brilliant, but I think the one he made to prevent a Wharton og in the first half was even better. Had he not saved that, and had Galt's shot been two inches higher, then it would have been a different story.

We've had our luck with penalties recently, what with Woodsie's "slip" v Clyde and a great defender's tackle v Cowden, but this time there was no doubt when big Marv's hand of God brought Galt down, and great credit to Burns for taking the responsibility to slot it away. Sometimes it's just meant to be, and provided we don't bottle it on Saturday then it will have been one of our most unlikely promotions, but nonetheless deserved in terms of sheer effort and determination, with some occasional extremely attractive football along the way.

The_Bully_Wee might well be right that we could be back down in a year's time, but that will be little consolation for him when we take another 10 points off Clyde the following season. C'mon Queen's, let's finish the job on Saturday, and send these itinerants back to their........erm, no fixed abode actually.

Man, David Galt's strike was one of the best I've seen all season. I don't know why but long-range goals always look better if they clip the underside of the bar before going over the line.

A very decent game of football (and a well-observed tribute from both sets of fans to the late Chris Mitchell too). Queen's Park were the better side over the piece, especially in the second half, and deserved their advantage going into the weekend. They were the better footballing side and knocked the ball around with purpose. Once Galt, Vinnie Berry and yung Liam Brown got to grips with things, Clyde really didn't have any answers. The only way they were ever likely to score in the second half was from a corner kick or from one of Scott Linton's long throws (it was pretty funny watching Berry try to pick up big John Gemmell at corners).

Clyde looked really short on ideas and unless Steven Brisbane was taking the ball down the left flank, the tactic seemed to involve getting it up to Gemmell as quickly as possible. It didn't work because a) Ryan McGeever managed to get the better of him as the match went on and b) David Gormley was absolutely ineffective and nowhere close enough to work alongside him. Marvin Andrews, God love him, was terrible and looked a good two or three yards off the pace. Credit to John Carter for his hard graft, he didn't stop all evening, but Andrews didn't help himself. Unless he was booting the ball as far away as possible, he was putting his team in bother.

We've touched on Carter's workrate and I think this played a crucial role in QP's second-half dominance. David Marsh and Scott McLaughlin looked increasingly leggy as the match went on and the Spiders were able to run through them - Sean Burns sped away past McLaughlin in the build up to the second goal and Galt was allowed to carry it from the centre circle before he hit his stunner. With Andrews and Chris Smith pretty flabby themselves, there was an unwillingness to come and attack the ball. The invited QP to come onto them and were punished.

Barry Ferguson's substitutions were poor too. Gemmell had proven himself to be a threat throughout the match, so why was he withdrawn for Sean Higgins instead of the ineffective Gormley? Why was Ross Millen, a full-back, thrown on when his side were chasing the match? It just didn't make any sense.

If Clyde can nip in and take the lead within the first 15 minutes on Saturday then we're in for a game. If not, I think Queen's Park will win promotion. Who will Ferguson blame then? How many players does he have to go through before he admits it's something else that isn't working?

When was the last time Queens were out of the fourth tier?

Hopefully a full house for the second leg :)

Our last season in the then Second Division was 2008-09, when we got relegated in the playoffs.

Don't think QP were that impressive themselves, but very comfortable in the end and they had enough pace to trouble possibly the slowest defence in history between the keeper and the two cbs, particularly big Marv. Even though they didn't overly dominate possession I always thought Clyde were dodgy defensively and liable any time QP got near their goal. Outwith Linton and briefly Gemmell in the first half I didn't see a lot from Clyde to suggest they can turn it around.

Was a decent crowd, felt like more than 1300. Great respect shown for Mitchell.

Re-run of nearly every Clyde v QP game

Amazing third goal a killer

Marko hugely missed

Pretty much. Third goal reminded me of Brown Fergusons goal against us for Alloa in the play offs.

Did anyone else see Marsh try to punch a QP player in the second half? Very lucky none of the officials spotted that but had a feeling that someone on the bench may have spotted it which probably paved the way for his substitution.

Looks a very tall order on Saturday especially if McMann is suspended and Marko injured. Thought McMann looked very good both defensively and offensively. Need to see his booking again but disappointing if he did indeed dive and ruled himself out for Saturday.

Everything Chris Mitchell related was second to none from the t-shirts to Gemmells celebration. There's absolutely no consolation for his family in tragic circumstances like this but think they would've been really touched by tonight's efforts.

Disgruntled and with our record against them you'd think it's over. Need to just go for it right from the off on Saturday and keep believing.

They won promotion in 2006-07 with, pound for pound, the best group of players I've ever seen at this level.

They beat (when I say beat I mean annihilated) us in the play-off final that year. They weren't that consistent over the season from what I remember but on their day they were an incredible team for the 4th tier of Scottish football. It was men against boys in that final 2nd leg.

Always fancied Queen's for the play-offs this season. I think their style of play obviously suits tighter games where there isn't much between the sides on paper and the opposition open up a bit against them. A mean defence and the ability to open up on the counter is always useful in play-off games.

dreadful performance would give pass marks to gemmell brisbane mccann, possibly Linton felt sorry for smith having to play beside Andrews tonight had to dig him out on numerous occasions BF again out done by mcpherson

need a miracle on Saturday

It may be my imagination, but we seem to have a fucking horrific record in midweek games as well. Adding that to a QP bogey match was a disaster waiting to happen.

Just going on midweek games this season, we've beaten Shire (A), Stirling (A), Annan (H) & Elgin (H) in midweek games. Only losing once to Shire (H)

Wew were pish guted that got beat from qpee i fucking hate them but thay are a much beter side than us and will win easy on satarday i think 4 0 but we have barry and he has lernt a lot from this season he will change the team for next season and we will be chamions we are a big club and should be in championship at least i reckon belive in barry guys and dont be sad we are clyde super clyde noone likes us we dont care and f**k qpee

Archived