Clyde vs QP/QP vs Clyde - Play off Final

at the end of the day best team won the game there aren't any excuses BF got tactics and team selection wrong ,the players didn't perform queens Park looked sharper and had more energy no real point in analysing our performance as 90% was shelling high balls up park laughably when we had Watson and Higgins up front

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Half-time for sure but if there's one thing about this team they defend well and play for each other. Whenever we score every player is in the huddle and I think that spirit will help on Saturday. Our lads have everything to play for and hopefully success will keep most of them with us for another year at least. Conversely, as the game wears on I can see Clyde's ageing mercenaries losing the plot. Our young, fit players will just drag them around that big pitch and by 70 minutes the game will be over.

What would be ironic would be winning promotion at Hampden given our results at home. Gus will no doubt want it tight, men back etc but I hope for the players sake they play with the flair they have and make it a game to remember.

David Galt. Genius with studs on.

Well done to Queen’s Park for doing what they always do against us.

Most of this has already been covered but, I could do with a rant anyway.

Ferguson has took have a look at himself. Gus McPherson came up with a game plan the first time he played us, and has done exactly the same thing in every game since and yet, Ferguson still doesn’t see it coming. We finished above QP in the league (albeit by only a point) but that means they clearly aren’t as effective against every other team, so questions must be asked.

If you’re playing a team who are quicker and better on the ball than you, as Queen’s are, normally you’d pack the midfield and make it difficult for them play. We do just the opposite, and the result is Queen’s dominate the middle of the park and we end up shelling the ball long constantly. This also means Linton and Kirkpatrick don’t see enough of the ball and they are vital to the way we play.

This tactic actually worked for a while in the first half, when Gemmell had a bit more energy to get about and, the QP defence were trying to figure out how to cope with him. However, having no one to get onto his flick-ons/knock-downs means very little came of it (I’ll get onto Gormley later).

You barely need to comment on Andrews at the back, as anyone at the game could see how poor he was and how unequipped he was to deal with QP’s threat. I could let Ferguson off with starting Andrews, but persisting the whole game with him when you have either Marsh in midfield, or Bolo on the bench, as other options is inexcusable. Even if he didn’t want to take Andrews off, he could have used one of the others as part of a back three to give him some cover.

A small aside, I don’t think the switch in the order of the games helped us at all. If (and it is a big if) the first leg was at Hampden and we’d been trailing 2-1 in the second half I think both teams would have settled for it. Last night we got carried away trying to get an equaliser and I predicted Queen’s would score a third goal before that happened (although I obviously didn’t predict it would come through that stunning strike).

Final point, it was yet another big game where Gormley was posted missing. He is incapable of reading any flick-on Gemmell makes, and even on the odd occasion the ball does find him, his touch means he’ll probably lose possession anyway.

By this Saturday’s game, Gormley will be looking at 40 games played this season, scoring just 8 goals, with 4 of them coming in one match. That means our first choice striker is good to score in one out of every eight games. I know he has a huge number of assists but, he’s in the team to score goals before anything else.

Gemmell has already scored 4 goals in 8 games so, listening to some of the rumours suggesting Gemmell could leave this summer whilst Gormley might stay, is terrifying.

Anyway, tie essentially over so congrats to Queen’s Park for their deserved promotion when it comes.

I think the only thing worse than our record at Hampden is our record in penalty shoot outs. So in true Clyde fashion we'll probably win the game on Saturday by 2 goals then go out on penalties.

Clyde look a powerful unit going forward. Despite folk slagging the hoofball tactics from what I see in the highlights they look a threat from set pieces and look dangerous in the air. I thought that looked a stone wall penalty. I have to say they do look very frail at the back of the though.

Queens park play some decent stuff and seem quick going forward. I think their penalty was correctly goven too Andrews was so slow and as soon as the boy was by him Marv had the arms out frantically trying to pull him.

The highlights seem to suggest Clyde can create plenty chances. They key for them will be keeping it tight at the back

Our record at Hampden is the one thing that keeps coming back to me with every glimmer of hope I look for.  Queens have lost heavily at home to East Stirling this year so it can be done and we do have it in us but we haven't won at Hampden in 6 years.  The first two goals last night were hugely preventable.  The second is comical if it wasn't my team.  The third is just an unbelievable strike.  If we could defend as well as Queens we would be a much better team.  Having Marko back for Saturday is huge also.    

On another night we could have scored 3 ourselves without playing well.  We need the performance from the Elgin ties to stand a chance.     

Our record at Hampden is the one thing that keeps coming back to me with every glimmer of hope I look for.  Queens have lost heavily at home to East Stirling this year so it can be done and we do have it in us but we haven't won at Hampden in 6 years.  The first two goals last night were hugely preventable.  The second is comical if it wasn't my team.  The third is just an unbelievable strike.  If we could defend as well as Queens we would be a much better team.  Having Marko back for Saturday is huge also.    

On another night we could have scored 3 ourselves without playing well.  We need the performance from the Elgin ties to stand a chance.     

its not just winning its wining by two clear goals to even take it to extra time mcpherson is a master at setting teams up to be difficult to beat his teams are for the most of time extremely well organised and keep their shape with the lead, queens park don't even need to play that well all they need to do is kill the game

difference with Elgin away is that they had to come at us ,Bit like we have to do on saturday wouldnt be surprised with the same outcome 

Like to get along to lower league games when I can and I've only managed one this season (Ayr Utd v Brechin) so I think I will pop along on Saturday.  Was at Hampden recently for the U20s Cup Final and that was a pretty good game so fingers crossed.

Last time I saw Queen's Park at Hampden they lost 0-2 to Berwick so perhaps some hope for Clyde fans there!

think most of us attending  Hampden on saturday are going with in hope rather than with any confidence we will turn it around  ,as stated our record against queens park in recent years is horrendous , you never know in football but the two goal lead is crucial,  only twice this season have won the next match after a defeat . so the stats, recent form against queens park   ,injuries and suspensions kicked in and more than likely a makeshift team ,could just be the recipe for a real surprise win  :thumsup2

add in some divine intervention from big Marv  :thumsup2

I'd like to see us try and match QP at Hampden; try to open it up with two wingers and one man up top. Gemmell with Kirkpatrick playing just off him, Linton and Brisbane wide, Marsh and McLaughlin deep. It'd mean a catastrophic defence no doubt consisting of Smith, Bolo, Marv and Millen, but there's no point playing it safe. Despite how unlikely it is that we'll overturn the two-goal deficit, it's never a safe margin and any sort of deflected jammy goal might frighten them a wee bit.

With all this in mind, QP 5-0 Clyde.

You have to really blame the manager for that. He's done and should be nowhere near the team but Ferguson chose him ahead of Bolo or dropping Marsh back in. Against an energetic side who give you no time on the ball his inclusion was baffling.

Ferguson is atrocious.

You have to really blame the manager for that. He's done and should be nowhere near the team but Ferguson chose him ahead of Bolo or dropping Marsh back in. Against an energetic side who give you no time on the ball his inclusion was baffling.

Ferguson is atrocious.

You can't blame him for the injuries to two (perhaps 3, is Millen wasn't started due to still being a bit ill) different players which meant Marvin had to play.

Match Information- Queen’s Park v Clyde- Saturday 14th May

Clyde Supporters will be located in the south east of the stadium for this match- Access will be at the east side of the main stadium turnstiles No 84; 85 & 86

Turnstiles will open at 2.00pm

Admission prices – £12.00 for adults; £2.00 for concessions,
We expect the main car park to be busier than normal on Saturday, additional free parking is available just off Aikenhead Road

For QP's sake I hope that neither Jaggy Snake nor TBW are in the Clyde dugout on Saturday as both clearly have more tactical nous than either of your current incumbents. Use the width to give Gemmell meaningful crosses and analyse why we've been so poor against the weaker teams this season. Hopefully it's too late now, but it does beg the question why you didn't adopt those tactics last night, especially when we were still short of our best. Hopefully Woods will return to form on Saturday as he's overdue a good game, and we can score an early goal to de-rail any hopes of a comeback.

Archived