Clyde vs QP/QP vs Clyde - Play off Final

The archetypical Clyde vs QP game tonight.

I half expected the game to go this way in all honesty, it was hard for me to be too optimistic given our recent record against Queen's Park, and that was before this weekend's tragic news came to light. It's hard to blame the players after a difficult few days and unfortunately, we just weren't really at the races tonight. Gibson didn't really have a save to make and Muir made a few good saves from Queen's Park but the performance was entirely different from the one at Elgin on Saturday, we reverted back to the usual hoofball and looking like an utter gang which just didn't work. A typical doing down the flanks, a typically comical goal for the second and an absolute stonker for the third.

Queen's Park have the measure over us and have done for a hell of a long time - not receiving numerous horsings a season from QP is one positive from our point of view if we don't go up. As the_bully_wee said above, it may well be a really difficult task to go up next year so it's a bit disappointing that we've a really tough task to overturn this on Saturday.

However, I'll still head through on Saturday, hope for a miracle and applaud the team for their efforts this season etc. An early goal and it's game on but that was the case for Elgin last week and look how that turned out. A few too many players just didn't turn up tonight but, given the circumstances, it's understandable.

Fair play to Queen's Park and Gus, you can say what you like about him but, as I said after the New Year game, Barry has been out-thought by Gus in the meetings between the two teams. Maybe we should phone Jim Chapman and see how Annan manage to beat QP? 

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Queen's Park play like that every time we still can't see it. First half I thought the long ball worked but once we took Gemmell off and had Watson and Higgins up top nothing was going to stick. Them sitting back won both first and second balls across the back line to punt it up to the pacey striker.

It's going to be exceptionally difficult to turn this around but get an early goal and Saturday then who knows. Just typical their third goal was unstoppable.

Sitting in NY thinking Ive always wanted to go back to cowdenbeath one day...

Sounds like one game too many for our ageing team and perhaps tactics the reason...

Score early sat were back in it but cant see Queens not scoring...

Foreva n eva

What time does your flight get in?

Also, I obviously wasn't in the best position to see but I though Smith should have won us a penalty and the decision to book McMann for diving looked very harsh, but maybe I'm biased.

I also believe McMann is suspended for Saturday now?

Nothing against Clyde, but great to see that wee cardboard gangster Ferguson and his mob take a pasting tonight. Personally bankrolling players contracts in a desperate effort to be a success and fulfil his destiny to wear the brown brogues of management at Ibrox.

Pleasing

Well that's obviously a lie.

Marv was a bombscare, why he was continually the last man back when QP kept playing the long ball made no sense to me. He has never had much pace, even less now.

Felt we should have went on and got a second with the momentum gained after the equaliser. We were all over QP in the last 30 minutes of the first half, they offered little.

Beast and Gormley were fairly gubbed by the end but keeping the long ball tactics when Millen came on made absolutely no sense.

Third goal was a worldly, deserving winner in any game.

We missed Marko massively tonight.

Just gutted.

It's not over yet. Just read back through the thread and be afraid of the Clyde hordes which will pack the stands on Saturday. There will be words to be eaten on Saturday night if the sleeping giants can turn this round.

Shocking performance from us tonight; Andrews set the tone with a stupid challenge and resulting penalty, we played no football tonight zero...why not? Maybe we were not allowed to Gus as usual played us like fiddle, really has got us sussed, not that it's hard when our boot the ball up the park team turns up. So frustrating as we are capable of playing.

That said QP are technically better than us and move the ball much quicker, game always going to be more difficult when Marko out, when not in the team we are all over the place, rediculious .... depending on a 40 year old! Our other so called bigger players like so often in big games did not turn up tonight; Linton, Kilpatrick, Gemmell and of course Gormley who could not trap a bag of cement.

Queens thoroughly deserved what they got tonight and the screamer that was the 3rd goal will no doubt finish the tie, a McPherson team will not lose a 2 goal lead,certainly not to Clyde. Queens keeper also had 3 fantastic saves. Perhaps I am being hard on the team given the Chris Mitchell situation, just disappointment on my part.

When will the highlights be up? I need to see Galt's goal again, and again, and again, and again. An absolute fucking screamer.

A little bit shaky at 1-1, but overall we bossed it. The fact Clyde lose one player and have to play Marvin Andrews shows a severe lack of depth in the squad. His best contribution to the game was kneeing Gemmell in the back of the head as he leapt for a corner.

McGeever and Wharton dealt with the hoofball with ease, Wullie Muir pulled off a few amazing saves including one from Wharton right after the penalty, Carter didn't give up for 85 minutes and constantly had Andrews and the other big baldy centre back scrambling all game. And that goal from Galt, absolute scenes when that went in. The whole squad gave it their all tonight, fully deserved and I cannot wait for 90 minutes of Gusball on Saturday.

Brisbane played well I thought.

I didn't understand the logic of Higgins and Watson coming on as I thought Gemmell caused problems for QP at corners and throw ins.

Watson's pace was negated by Queen's defence playing deep. Higgins disappeared as soon as he came on.

Once again our midfield payed the price for a lack of mobility and inability to support the strikers. Gormleys net contribution is very little. He tries hard but rarely creates or scores and cannot hold the ball up.

Andrews was scary to watch. Surely Bolo would have been better.

Finally Gus McPherson is an arse who's negative tactics and time wasting may be successful but result in the ruination of many a game.

Clyde may be long ball and one dimensional but I'm glad I don't watch his team every week.

Thought the first half was pretty level, end to end with both having decent chances.

Marv was awful.

Definite penalty for queens however think ours was equally as good a claim for a penalty and didn't get it.

Didn't do enough up top and the long ball didn't work. Worldie of a third goal, nothing we can do about that.

Tie as good as over.

Well done QP. Gus has every one of that team giving 100% and running into the ground for the team. Two big players with the rest skinny c***s and they still won every ball in the air. Big centre back number 5 was solid. You's deserved it. Just a waste that yous will go up but straight back down next season, All the league 1 diddies will be buzzing yous are going up.

Finally Gus McPherson is an arse who's negative tactics and time wasting may be successful but result in the ruination of many a game.

Clyde may be long ball and one dimensional but I'm glad I don't watch his team every week.

At least you won't have to watch it next year ðŸ‘

Well done Queens --- looked by far the fitter of the 2 teams and soaked up any pressure . Obvious special mention for David Galt's rocket 3rd goal and John Carter's non-stop running as well as Willie Muir's great reaction saves -- in fact the whole squad put in a great shift and a repeat of the effort put in tonight on Saturday should see us through.

Gemmell is a cheat and Andrews is a caricature of himself.

Archived