The Partick Thistle thread

Daily Record have quoted Archie as saying he's looking for a defender and an attacker this month which is to be expected. It also notes that we had a scout at an U21s match between Reading and Bournemouth earlier in the week. I doubt Archie's first choices would be youth players. In terms of a defender, there's no point in bringing in an 18 year old. Our defence has been calling out for an experienced head in my opinion. What do you guys reckon?

Exactly. If we are going to bring in a striker it should be someone who at least puts pressure on our current forwards and as I mentioned before, a gritty, experienced centre-half could help us grind out the points. If we want to secure safety with some time to spare and avoid the late season scramble for points then we can't have any passengers.

Not much going on with the team in Spain.

Noticed that Jagzone starting to upload 90 minute reruns of games, much as I love both football and Thistle I don't think I've got the patience to sit through a 90 minute re-run, I did watch the last 5 minutes of the Morton match. Would be good if they could upload the old highlights that were on the previous site from 2009 onwards plus some old footage if any available (I know some is on youtube).

Just watched Grasping the Thistle. Class. Great documentary.

John Lambie, what a guy he was, know you lads aren't Dick Campbells biggest fan but he reminds me of a weegie version of him.

I was only 8 or 9 but I remember our games against you lads in the second when we came up with you and in the first division, gutted to not see your game up at Gayf on the documentary. Just remember loving the bright red and yellow kits.

Anyone know the 3 fans that were interviewed. Loved the Airdrie slagging.

"You've got to know yer pigeons" :lol:

2 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Not much going on with the team in Spain.

Noticed that Jagzone starting to upload 90 minute reruns of games, much as I love both football and Thistle I don't think I've got the patience to sit through a 90 minute re-run, I did watch the last 5 minutes of the Morton match. Would be good if they could upload the old highlights that were on the previous site from 2009 onwards plus some old footage if any available (I know some is on youtube).

I've always wanted to see footage from our last spell in the top flight - seasons 02/03 and 03/04. We scored some great goals during that period, particularly in the first season up.

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Just watched Grasping the Thistle. Class. Great documentary.

John Lambie, what a guy he was, know you lads aren't Dick Campbells biggest fan but he reminds me of a weegie version of him.

I was only 8 or 9 but I remember our games against you lads in the second when we came up with you and in the first division, gutted to not see your game up at Gayf on the documentary. Just remember loving the bright red and yellow kits.

Anyone know the 3 fans that were interviewed. Loved the Airdrie slagging.

"You've got to know yer pigeons" :lol:

I left my favourite Thistle scarf on the train after the 1-1 game at Gayfield in 2000. Opening day of the season I'm sure.

I want it back:(

3 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

I've always wanted to see footage from our last spell in the top flight - seasons 02/03 and 03/04. We scored some great goals during that period, particularly in the first season up.

Aye, the vast majority of footage from that period on youtube seems to be against both arse cheeks which are invariable pumpings tho I'm sure the Burns hat trick vs Killie is on it. Would love to see the game again where we pumped Livi 5-2 in the season we went down & Anis played like Cafu on drugs.

Plenty of stuff from the 90s spell in the premier league and the odd clip from further back (71 LC final excepted as there's obvs loads of that). I'm sure I've got the 00-01 and 01-02 season VHSs converted to DVD somewhere in my mum's loft but the club must have a few copies lying around somewhere unless Campbell Hughes took them all when he left.

Surely it would be more of a sign that a player was just on an unlucky spell if most of their shots were in the red zone indicated in that article, rather than that they keep shooting straight at the keeper. That would suggest they were at least trying to place it and might mean they missed by a matter of inches.

That the plurality of on-target shots are straight down the middle suggests he's just not very good at beating goalkeepers.

Sure, if he had Doolan's placement he wouldn't be with us, but this is a pretty significant limitation on a striker unless they have a very powerful shot on them (something with which Taylor was able to compensate). It's criminal to be in those kinds of positions so often and not to put them away every so often.

If other teams know that all they have to do to stop Azeez scoring is have the keeper make himself big, and that they probably don't need to mark him that effectively, that has a knock-on effect on their whole approach to taking on our team. It means they put far more of their resources into taking players like Erskine, Lawless and Edwards out of the game and give them no space in the attacking half. As a team that really does tend to spread our goals throughout the squad, that's more likely to hurt than help us than if their attention is directed towards containing the striker.

Just now, Ad Lib said:

Surely it would be more of a sign that a player was just on an unlucky spell if most of their shots were in the red zone indicated in that article, rather than that they keep shooting straight at the keeper. That would suggest they were at least trying to place it and might mean they missed by a matter of inches.

That the plurality of on-target shots are straight down the middle suggests he's just not very good at beating goalkeepers.

Sure, if he had Doolan's placement he wouldn't be with us, but this is a pretty significant limitation on a striker unless they have a very powerful shot on them (something with which Taylor was able to compensate). It's criminal to be in those kinds of positions so often and not to put them away every so often.

If other teams know that all they have to do to stop Azeez scoring is have the keeper make himself big, and that they probably don't need to mark him that effectively, that has a knock-on effect on their whole approach to taking on our team. It means they put far more of their resources into taking players like Erskine, Lawless and Edwards out of the game and give them no space in the attacking half. As a team that really does tend to spread our goals throughout the squad, that's more likely to hurt than help us than if their attention is directed towards containing the striker.

Are you suggesting that a team simply wouldn't bother marking Azeez cause they don't think he'll score anyway?