The Partick Thistle thread

BBC now reporting that a bid of £250k has been accepted.

Have they lost their f*cking minds?

Will wait to see what comes out in the wash with this but on the face of it, this is abjectly poor business. The guy has two years on his contract, was in the team of the year and is arguably on the cusp of an international call up. Whether there are numerous lucrative add ons or not, the club has a duty to get the going rate for the player now and I'll be damned if anyone can convince me Lindsay is only worth £250k. 

If there is / was a release clause, why would Oxford or anyone else bother with add ons?

Unless there is one and they don't know about it or they would rather take the lower up front fee and at least if they pay more it's because he's been a success.

We only got £400k up front for May, but overall ended up recouping just over £1.2m from the deal. I'd be wary of being blinded by the initial fee, as £350k with a 40% sell on fee could be worth much more than £800k up front.

Checking Twitter there and it seems our new signings are represented by Prolegal Sports agency. I also noticed they retweeted news on Liam Lindsay. Followed on to their website where I discovered their director of operations is Ricky Gillies who just happens to be Liam's uncle. I remember talking to someone a few seasons back that Liam was thinking of going to the states for a 'soccer' scholarship there if he didn't get a chance at first team football.

I don't know what relevance this has, tbh :lol:

prolegal-group.com

At least that's McInnes staying for now...

Won't have been a fee for Spittal as I don't think United offered him anything. Presumably will have been for Sneddon but given he's not been at Cowden that long it hopefully wasn't too much.

I'm more optimistic than most about the Spittal signing. He has a reputation perhaps for lacking a bit in the physicality of the game, but I'm not sure that he isn't pretty similar to Erskine and Lawless in that respect. I think he'll rotate with the two of them and hopefully take some of the pressure off them having to play as much, which took its toll last season. He's racked up 145 first team games at the age of 21 and should still have a lot of potential for development in the right environment, which I'm optimistic we can provide.

The Lindsay one I think we just have to take on trust, there are plenty of comparisons out there for the board to go on. Accepting a bid this early on in the summer suggests it must have been a pretty reasonable offer as we have plenty of time to hang on for better offers if we didn't think it met our valuation. Accepting a bid may well also flush out any other serious contenders and push them into the process. Perhaps I'm being a tad over optimistic but the club have been going about their business pretty well for quite a while, I think they're entitled to some trust in this one. 

It's difficult not to see Lindsay making it in League One with his ability at both ends of the park, it could well pay off in the medium term. 

Edited by Virtual Insanity

Oh well. All the best to Liam. I guess we'll never really know how the payments worked out.
There certainly seems to be add ons and a sell on fee so I can only wish Liam and Oxford United all the best for the next few seasons.

Oh well. All the best to Liam. I guess we'll never really know how the payments worked out.
There certainly seems to be add ons and a sell on fee so I can only wish Liam and Oxford United all the best for the next few seasons.

Worth mentioning that this is how Oxford's deal with us for Johnson panned out so in the longer term it may be a decent deal for Thistle if it's a similar sort of thing.
"He said: “I had a few ideas around potentially what we might be able to do and be creative in going back with something to Motherwell.

“I had a long conversation early in the morning with Darryl about what we could do and the potential I think Marvin has got going forward.

“That started the ball rolling really.

“There’s all sorts of things in the contract, like all contracts.

“There are certain bits that have to be met, but ultimately we had to get to a place where Motherwell were happy and we still think it’s fantastic business for the club.”"

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/oxfordunited/14715643.Marvin_Johnson_impressed_with_Oxford_United_s_determination_to_do_deal/

Worth mentioning that this is how Oxford's deal with us for Johnson panned out so in the longer term it may be a decent deal for Thistle if it's a similar sort of thing.
"He said: “I had a few ideas around potentially what we might be able to do and be creative in going back with something to Motherwell.

“I had a long conversation early in the morning with Darryl about what we could do and the potential I think Marvin has got going forward.

“That started the ball rolling really.

“There’s all sorts of things in the contract, like all contracts.

“There are certain bits that have to be met, but ultimately we had to get to a place where Motherwell were happy and we still think it’s fantastic business for the club.”"

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/oxfordunited/14715643.Marvin_Johnson_impressed_with_Oxford_United_s_determination_to_do_deal/

Any idea who his representatives are? ;)

Johnson's agent is Gino Culbertson. I only know this because of his hilarious meltdown last year: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/marvin-johnson-being-held-ransom-8736132

You were saying it's Ricky Gilles & Pro Legal that represents Lindsay right?

Aye mate, I hope they've worked out a good deal. I'll not be unhappy if it's similar to the Johnson one.

Or, the transfer will go through, the new manager won't fancy Lindsay much, sticks him in the reserves and his career does an ATS.

It's the Thistle way :(

Another young talent preferring a bank balance to a football career,English football is an absolute graveyard of Scottish players fecking joke

As opposed to the likes of Christie, Allan, GMS, who've all joined Celtic over teams south of the border and managed to break into their team?

I think it's a sensible move for him to be honest and one with a platform to play a lot of games and get good exposure.

1 hour ago, Widge said:

As opposed to the likes of Christie, Allan, GMS, who've all joined Celtic over teams south of the border and managed to break into their team?

I think it's a sensible move for him to be honest and one with a platform to play a lot of games and get good exposure.

Allan and GMS have been south and had a taste also i want christie to stay in Scottish football because it only makes the league better
as for Lindsay every football fan can see he is a talent for me the jags should have slapped a £800.000 to a million price tag on his head
£350.000 is an absolute joke for a player like Lindsay this is why teams like oxford keep on calling on Scottish clubs.

Edited by wastecoatwilly