The Partick Thistle thread

2 minutes ago, Mediocre Pundit said:

Dundee fans - who do you rate higher, Mullin or Rudden? Rudden was a great foil for Graham last season and I get the impression that Mullin is (at least currently) the better player - so should do well for us. 

We've seen what Mullen can do, happy to go with Rudden.

52 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

At least the Dundee fans taking it well. 

It's not a case of 'taking it well'. You'll see when he left, most of us were quite unfussed. Some liked his workrate, others like myself didn't rate him at all and there's a final sub section that are taking a wee bit of pleasure in him likely having to take a hit on wages and security when he apparently turned down a 2 year deal with ourselves to stay in the top flight.

3 minutes ago, Mediocre Pundit said:

Dundee fans - who do you rate higher, Mullin or Rudden? Rudden was a great foil for Graham last season and I get the impression that Mullin is (at least currently) the better player - so should do well for us. 

Rudden was absolutely garbage for us in the top flight to be honest but he was coming into a team devoid of confidence that were in the process of replacing one terrible manager with Mark McGhee.

I'd rather have Rudden to be going into the new season with as he seems like he can score goals if given the opportunities whereas Mullen missed open goal tap ins quite often. Don't think we're sold on Rudden as a collective support by any stretch, but Mullen wouldn't have been the difference maker between us winning the league or not whereas I think some could see Rudden having that impact - no matter how unlikely based on his performances to date.

Mullen is a decent bit of business, clearly not a prolific goalscorer but given he's coming is as 3rd choice striker (at least at the start) then you'd be unlikely to get someone who was banging them in last season. 

We've definitely improved the squad from how it was when we finished in May;

Dowds and Mullen are upgrades on Alegria and probably Jakubiak.  Similarly, Milne and McMillan are far better options than Foster, McKenna and Hendrie, and obviously Fitzpatrick/Lawless are better wide options than anyone we had out there last season. Fair play to the management team for identifying where we had to improve in the XI and the squad, and getting the personnel in the door well ahead of the first league game.

Definitely feels like we have a decent squad put together with another body to be added before the kick off.

McCall certainly seems to have e addressed some of the glaring deficiencies in terms of attacking pace, creativity and attacking depth.

Midfield looks similar and good to see Turner getting a go in central midfield.

At the back McMillan and Milne seem like a massive upgrade. Mayo maybe edges Brownlie as he returns to playing but again seems an upgrade.

Seddon and Crawford have faffed about a little in the games I've seen but hopefully they can cut out the errors and we could be looking at a top 3 position at least.

4 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

He's really not very good. Hard worker but was like a man down in the top flight as he offered very little other than being a nuisance. Has quite the high opinion of himself, declared to the media he was the best striker at the club after he scored a couple of goals ahead of Jakubiak, Sheridan, Griffiths and Cummings. Cummings was punted from about October and I think Mullen scored 1 goal more all season. He then also rejected our offer of a new deal (which I was absolutely stunned he was offered in the first place) as he wanted to stay in the top flight with Dundee United and Motherwell heavily linked.

In saying all that, if you need a donkey work striker then he's your man. I'd actually say he's probably the perfect foil for Brian Graham. Mullen can hold the ball up well and do the running for Graham allowing Graham to just be a target man/poacher.

Despite a very negative review from myself, he was far from being the worst striker we've ever had but the amount of glaring sitters he misses will drive you up the wall.

I like that he came out and said he felt he was the best striker at the club. Cummings aside, he probably was which says more about that team. He’s very limited, not technically great, but he’ll be a good link/foil in this league and is always a danger in and around the box. I reckon it’s a good signing. 

I'm fine with Mullen, certainly better 3rd striker than anything we had last season. He's probably much of a muchness with Jakubiak although I noticed the latter has started scoring for Dundee, which he rarely looked like doing with us.

McCall certainly likes shopping in a market he knows, rather than taking punts on guys from down south or abroad. Think since he came back only Akinola of his permanent signings hasn't played in Scotland before, although I suppose you can argue about the value of the experience of the various Rangers loanees in the lowland league translating to the championship.

As said, we're definitely much stronger in the wide areas than the team that finished last season, and as of today we're stronger up front. Centre half might be an issue, if we can get Brownlie back to 80-90% of what he was pre injury he'll be fine and hopefully Tunji can find his first half of the season form from last year. Turner playing more centrally and maybe even McKinnon breaking up the Bannigan-Docherty partnership could improve the central midfield too.

No complaints really about the players we've signed, but that generally has been one of McCall's stronger points. Hopefully he plays most of them in the right positions this year.

Edited by Fuctifano

16 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

I'm fine with Mullen, certainly better 3rd striker than anything we had last season. He's probably much of a muchness with Jakubiak although I noticed the latter has started scoring for Dundee, which he rarely looked like doing with us.

McCall certainly likes shopping in a market he knows, rather than taking punts on guys from down south or abroad. Think since he came back only Akinola of his permanent signings hasn't played in Scotland before, although I suppose you can argue about the value of the experience of the various Rangers loanees in the lowland league translating to the championship.

As said, we're definitely much stronger in the wide areas than the team that finished last season, and as of today we're stronger up front. Centre half might be an issue, if we can get Brownlie back to 80-90% of what he was pre injury he'll be fine and hopefully Tunji can find his first half of the season form from last year. Turner playing more centrally and maybe even McKinnon breaking up the Bannigan-Docherty partnership could improve the central midfield too.

No complaints really about the players we've signed, but that generally has been one of McCall's stronger points. Hopefully he plays most of them in the right positions this year.

It’s the fact way can switch it up a bit now that I’m happy with, we can go with a natural 4-4-2 etc without shunting someone like Crawford to right mid.. 

Docherty for me earned a right to start the season in midfield and everyone can see from Miles that when Turner plays just in front of 2 more natural central midfielders  that he is so much more effective !

Banzo is the big question mark for me .. don’t think he does enough anymore and has slowed down so much ! But I do recall him struggling with the pitch last season especially, so hopefully playing on a decent pitch regularly this season will bring the best of his game back.

Edited by Thistle4eva

2 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

We've seen what Mullen can do, happy to go with Rudden.

Get Rudden a goal or 2 his confidence sky rockets, with what’s being said about Mullen they sound very Similar but Rudden is someone I’d have taken back in a second if the chance had came. Great Energy and Running but if you build his confidence he is genuinely a different player from what you guys have no doubt seen so far.

Wee Danny will score an occasional belter but you’ll get used to him missing sitters in most games. He does ‘work hard’ and can be a pest to defenders but you will find that he spends a lot of time falling over too easily. The refs are wise to him now and he won’t win as many free kicks, so it can be very frustrating when he loses possession. He was decent in the Championship, for several clubs including the Saints, but not really good enough for the Premier league. Should do a job alongside big Brian, just don’t expect too much.

10 hours ago, Kempes said:

Wee Danny will score an occasional belter but you’ll get used to him missing sitters in most games. He does ‘work hard’ and can be a pest to defenders but you will find that he spends a lot of time falling over too easily. The refs are wise to him now and he won’t win as many free kicks, so it can be very frustrating when he loses possession. He was decent in the Championship, for several clubs including the Saints, but not really good enough for the Premier league. Should do a job alongside big Brian, just don’t expect too much.

Sounds a bit like Rudden going by your description .

10 hours ago, baba douche said:

Why? Does he struggle with 'M's?

Bit of a problem considering his name.

Does he not also have a problem with teams playing in Blue ? ….seem to recall him calling every team in blue “Peterhead” for a while .

1 hour ago, Fuctifano said:

Yeah, I mentioned in the league cup thread that he even called Fraserburgh "Peterhead" the other night despite them playing in black and white. 

Oh dear ,that’s the NE equivalent of confusing The Jags with Clyde .

3 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Yeah, I mentioned in the league cup thread that he even called Fraserburgh "Peterhead" the other night despite them playing in black and white. 

You've got to worry about someone who gets it that wrong to be honest.

I mean, how?

**Ehh....first bit of the team name is a guys name. John....Paul....Peter!...Bingo!**
"We welcome Peterhead to tonight's game"

On 14/07/2022 at 22:56, Fuctifano said:

You're doing great work, but I think I speak for most people when I say I'd love to see whatever video highlights are in the pipeline from the 1990s and 2000s uploaded ASAP rather than biographies of folk from the 1890s (although those obviously do have their place on an archive site). 

Cheers, appreciate the feedback. 👍 

It's not that 19th century bios are a priority, it's just that births, deaths & first-time photies are being generated on an industrial scale and the bios are just going hand-in-hand while the players are in mind. Thinking of creating a whole section for "Just the Videos" which would go hand-in-hand with the new uploads. Still a lot of digital transfers to be done from DVD before that. Alas, TTA's production is heavy going for me. I'm going to be begging for uploading assistance again in the near future, with a bit of luck I'll actually get an offer of help this time, that'd certainly help to progress things.

~ William

Trying not to bombard this board too much, anyone interested hopefully is keeping an eye on our busy home-page. Some big news today though...

In what's probably one of the most exciting breakthroughs of all at the Thistle Archive, today we're pleased to identify HUGH McCOLL, a strong contender to be one of Partick Thistle's founder members. At a general meeting on the 3rd September 1877, the first ever committee of the club was elected, and Hugh, just turned 19, took his place as the secretary. In the player's chronology, only John Inglis comes before Hugh in Thistle's story.

Hugh McColl →

A youthful enthusiasm drove the burgeoning game forwards in the 1870s, and we'd expect that our founders - were we able to find them - would all turn to be very young, with most, if not all, being teenagers. This would be in line with other clubs of the day, with the four Rangers founders being a good example; Moses McNeil (16), Peter McNeil (17), Peter Campbell (15) & William McBeath (15). As well as the aforementioned Hugh McColl, we're thrilled to reveal the identity of a second member of the first-ever Partick Thistle committee, also a player. It transpires that GEORGE LECKIE was the treasurer at the age of just 17. 'mon the young team!

George Leckie →

Edited by The Thistle Archive

From the ET today

“I think we are close now [to adding a defender]. He may be playing for his club tomorrow and he is not one I could have done now anyway because he has already played in the League Cup.

“We are hoping to get that done early in the week. It will just be a loan up until January with a view to maybe even longer. The player in question will cover both sides at full-back, can play in a back three and is quite experienced at that level. So we are hoping to get that done but we’ll see.

Edited by Pie Of The Month