The Partick Thistle thread

Not completely unexpected that we’ve retained Lyon, but slightly worrying that we’re giving a 2 year deal to a guy completely unproven at anything close to Championship level - but I suppose that’s the situation we’re in right now. Him, Stanway and Mackenzie can hopefully make an impact as squad depth this year.

Bannigan I’m not surprised at either, but it’s very much in the “meh” department at this point. He’s looked finished for a while, imo. But beggars can’t be choosers when they’re skint.

Happy with Muirhead and Bannigan deals. Willing to give Lyon a chance and Doolan might be good at developing youngsters.

Only Sneddon and McCready we’ve to hear from now. Would be surprised if Sneddon, who would want to be first choice, re-signs. McCready may be happy to sit on the bench. Would like a new signing but maybe too much to ask today.

56 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Not completely unexpected that we’ve retained Lyon, but slightly worrying that we’re giving a 2 year deal to a guy completely unproven at anything close to Championship level - but I suppose that’s the situation we’re in right now. Him, Stanway and Mackenzie can hopefully make an impact as squad depth this year.

Bannigan I’m not surprised at either, but it’s very much in the “meh” department at this point. He’s looked finished for a while, imo. But beggars can’t be choosers when they’re skint.

Apart from the County game, I thought he’d played his best stuff in a long while since Doolan came in tbh. 

6 minutes ago, Mediocre Pundit said:

You’ve also got to imagine there is a high degree of trust between Doolan and Bannigan/Muirhead. I’d like to think they’d both run through walls for him. 

Bannigan couldn't run through a wet paper bag.

2 hours ago, Nightmare said:

But will Bannigan not be a higher wage, would have expected him understandably given the length of time here.  While I can fully understand a 1 year contract, given he may not be able to play full 90 minutes as much now, has had his share of injuries I would have thought better to offer 1 year and then review in a years time to consider an extension then.

unless he’s agreed to a pay loss wouldn’t think it’s a particularly cheap signing 

Bannigan will make a reasonable amount from his testimonial year, I'm not saying he's taken a discount but that would have to be factored in.

Think in general the budget / being skint stuff is being a bit overplayed, not aimed at anyone in particular. As soon as the final penalty hit the net at Dingwall then Turner / Tiffoney / Holt / Docherty were almost certain to be gone. Docherty has stayed in the same division but he's gone to a club with double (or more) our attendance and are clearly able to pay more. There's not been too much about Tiffoney presumably signing a PCA with Dundee when we could still go up because of how things transpired, he would have been public enemy number 1 if we had gone up.

What we've done is trim guys off the wage bill like Smith, Mullen and Brownlie who were -you'd think given our overspend last year- on reasonable wages for guys who shouldn't have been starting every week. Between the amount cleared out of the wage budget from leavers, the TJF donations and the rumoured new investment (mentioned in club statement) we're probably in a reasonable position and with a sensible budget to be set for this year there's still plenty of scope to bring decent players in.

2 years for Lyon is probably a bit of insurance on our part that if he does take a leap forward this year then we don't lose him for buttons in compensation in summer 2024.

Edited by Fuctifano

Bannigans past it, Feel like it’s a waste of what will be a half decent wage. Just my honest opinion because I’ve always liked him. 

Genuinely happy about having Muirhead for another season and really hope we can throw a few of the younger guys like Lyon in and give them a chance, not being great on loan at a shite team isn’t the way to judge younger guys.

3 hours ago, third lanark said:

But will Bannigan not be a higher wage, would have expected him understandably given the length of time here.  While I can fully understand a 1 year contract, given he may not be able to play full 90 minutes as much now, has had his share of injuries I would have thought better to offer 1 year and then review in a years time to consider an extension then.

unless he’s agreed to a pay loss wouldn’t think it’s a particularly cheap signing 

He’s not a cheap signing by any means but he probably is on reduced terms, due to the finances. 

I’d question the indication of Bannigan being somewhat injury prone (have seen that a few times before) he just had 1 really severe injury that had him out for 2 years, other than a knock for a few weeks at the end of last season, he’s usually fit most weeks. Played 46/52 last season for example, and 46/47 the previous season, since Doolan came in he’s only not played 90 minutes in a game once (obviously not inc play-offs).

Ultimately there was no chance Doolan was releasing a club legend during his testimonial year, but I suspect Bannigan will still have a big role to play in the coming season on and off the field. 

Edited by JagsCG

3 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

He’s not a cheap signing by any means but he probably is on reduced terms, due to the finances. 

I’d question the indication of Bannigan being somewhat injury prone (have seen that a few times before) he just had 1 really severe injury that had him out for 2 years, other than a knock for a few weeks at the end of last season, he’s usually fit most weeks. Played 46/52 last season for example, and 46/47 the previous season, since Doolan came in he’s only not played 90 minutes in a game once (obviously not inc play-offs).

Ultimately there was no chance Doolan was releasing a club legend during his testimonial year, but I suspect Bannigan will still have a big role to play in the coming season on and off the field. 

He’s not good enough, back passing and side passing isn’t good enough especially when he loses the ball and can’t run back. Doolan actually deserved a deal when he was let go.. Big difference.

17 minutes ago, Thistle4eva said:

back passing and side passing isn’t good enough

Leaving aside the argument about whether Bannigan specifically is good enough for a mid range Championship side (which is what we’re all expecting to be, more or less), this is a nonsense argument. Having a player who recycles possession and keeps it simple is integral to more or less every team in world football.

In any case, I would refer you to Kyle Turner’s goal in the 4-3 against Queens Park to dispute this “sideways and backwards passing only” rhetoric you’ve got going. 

9 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Leaving aside the argument about whether Bannigan specifically is good enough for a mid range Championship side (which is what we’re all expecting to be, more or less), this is a nonsense argument. Having a player who recycles possession and keeps it simple is integral to more or less every team in world football.

In any case, I would refer you to Kyle Turner’s goal in the 4-3 against Queens Park to dispute this “sideways and backwards passing only” rhetoric you’ve got going. 

What 😂 he was rotten last season. Our best form came when he wasn’t in the team.. 

My apologies I’ll go on he can’t run, he’s slow.. he can’t tackle and when he does he breaks. 

Disagree?

Just now, Thistle4eva said:

What 😂 he was rotten last season. Our best form came when he wasn’t in the team.. 

My apologies I’ll go on he can’t run, he’s slow.. he can’t tackle and when he does he breaks. 

Disagree?

This has absolutely nothing to do with what I said, but yes I disagree. I don’t think Bannigan is an outstanding player at this level, but he’s solid enough.

And the “he breaks” thing is just demonstrably nonsense, as outlined by @JagsCG above.

Just now, oneteaminglasgow said:

This has absolutely nothing to do with what I said, but yes I disagree. I don’t think Bannigan is an outstanding player at this level, but he’s solid enough.

And the “he breaks” thing is just demonstrably nonsense, as outlined by @JagsCG above.

All I hear from you is this is nonsense. That is nonsense.. your talking utter nonsense 😂

It’s not at all he doesn’t tackle enough to break because he can’t get back to do so.. 

4 minutes ago, Thistle4eva said:

All I hear from you is this is nonsense. That is nonsense.. your talking utter nonsense 😂

It’s not at all he doesn’t tackle enough to break because he can’t get back to do so.. 

Aye, sound. You were the boy wanting Brian Graham dropped a couple of weeks ago, and who reckoned that Cole McKinnon was our best midfielder, so I’m quite comfortable in my opinions. 

I’m going to leave you to it now.