The Partick Thistle thread

17 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Anyone who was there - how did Williams look? 

He was fine. Some of the Peterhead players gave a him a warm welcome to Scottish football. I reckon he's got a few mistakes in him but that can be aided with more games at this level. Dundalk fans suggested he got better as he went on; so hoping for similar here.

4 minutes ago, Plastic Whistle said:

Oh, sorry.

The 'loan market will be explored, but nearer the end of the window'.

Hopefully that's a truer reflection of what was communicated.

Aye but there was nothing said about us only being able to go for loan players now. If we get loans it’ll maybe only be one or two as we got burned last season with Chalmers being recalled which is always the danger with a loanee. 

The Dipo sale has just added a fair chunk back onto our budget so I’d imagine we’ll see two or three coming in and then maybe one or two at the end of the window on loan. 

Loads of updates on the site today as the competitive season gets underway...

The Thistle Archive →

:detective:  RECORD SHOOT-OUT MARATHON

● Thistle are back in competitive action after 41 days, setting a brand new club-record for the shortest-ever close season in that category. The previous record (42 days) was set in 1945.
● After featuring in all 52 competitive games of 2022-23, Jack McMillan misses the first such game of 2023-24 through injury before a ball is kicked!
● For only the second time in history, Thistle list 2 substitute goalkeepers, David Mithchell and Mason McCready creating the rare stat. We first seen such a thing on 4th May 2021 when Jamie Sneddon and Mason McCready were both listed on the bench. Almost unbelievably, Peterhead also list 2 sub 'keepers, meaning that there were an unprecedented SIX goalkeepers on the teamsheet!
● Thistle's 78th League Cup campaign gets underway. They've reached the final on 4 occasions, but haven't so much as reached a semi final since 1975.
● After just 2 minutes and 6 seconds of play, Harry Milne of Partick Thistle scores the first competitive goal of the Scottish football season for 2023-24. Shea Gordon was the last Jag to do such a thing back in July 2018.
● Amazingly, Thistle have now scored in TWELVE consecutive first halves. It's the longest such run since March 1938, when an impressive 14-in-a-row was registered.
● For the first-time in history, two consecutive competitive Partick Thistle matches are concluded by a penalty shoot-out.
● New club-records in a penalty shoot-out are set from every angle; most taken (24), highest aggregate (19), and most scored by Thistle (10). The previous goals record (7-8) was set in 2005 vs. St Johnstone. Ben Stanway & Steven Lawless score two apiece and Jamie Sneddon secures the bonus point by saving the 24th kick from (former Jag) Andy McCarthy!
Jamie Sneddon retains his 100% success rate in penalty shoot-outs, now with 3 successful contests. In this regard, he takes over from Jonny Tuffey as the statistical #1, Tuffey having been a winner in 2 out of 2 contests. Kenny Arthur remains #1 in terms of overall wins, having been successful in 4 of his 7 contests.
● What is it with Thistle and teams from the North? Peterhead join Inverness Caledonian Thistle, Ross County and St Johnstone as the clubs with most penalty shoot-outs contests with the Jags, all now sitting at three apiece.
● In purely Scottish terms, back to back competitive games in Dingwall and Peterhead represents the second longest two-game jaunt in the club's history. Based on distancecalculator.net's town centre to town centre mileage, the 716 miles round trip is beaten only by the two games in Dingwall (724 miles) played in October 2010.

ongoing sequences:
● 8 competitive home games without defeat; 4th Mar 2023 to date. (Longest run since: 8 games; 3rd Mar 2020 to 5th Dec 2020. Club-record: 24 games; 5th May 2001 to 17th Aug 2002.)
● 29 consecutive competitive appearances for Aidan Fitzpatrick, 3rd Dec 2022 to date, a new personal best. (Longest run since: Jack McMillan - 52 games, 9th Jul 2022 to 4th Jun 2023. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games, 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)

6 hours ago, JagsCG said:

Despite their defeat yesterday we likely will have to be better than we were against Peterhead if we want to take anything from the game at Tannadice. With no new signings expected before that match and Robinson & McMillan likely to still be out, it will probably be the same team (barring an issue with Bannigan). 

Bannigan was at the Minor Injuries clinic this morning. On crutches, with a moon boot. Think he might be out for a few weeks…

Edited by Kempes

24 minutes ago, Kempes said:

Bannigan was at the Minor Injuries clinic this morning. On crutches, with a moon boot. Think he might be out for a few weeks…

That’s disappointing. Looks like we’ll be going with an even less experienced midfield on Tuesday (and possibly Saturday) then. Just further emphasises the need for a few reinforcements, but a good opportunity for the young boys all the same. 

Bannigan injury not as bad as first thought according to Doolan, although didn’t offer a timeframe on his return. McMillan and Robinson to resume training this week so should be back available for Saturday. 

On 16/07/2023 at 18:17, Kempes said:

Maybe not! Glad to hear he is fit for this game. 

Williamson is a good signing, wears his heart on his sleeve which can cause trouble but he's a battler who's never shy on or off the ball. Also good with his feet, I genuinely think he could be a winger he was that good at beating players with little room to get into the box. I think this is the right kind of signing for Partick, surprised the loan is only until January.

30 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

Zander MacKenzie was really solid tonight. He looks like he can maybe be the cover at right back if needed? 

I didn't think he was man of the match as McMann got past him quite a few times but never put in a good final ball.

However he did play very well considering his age and being out of position and looked class when he had the ball himself. 

Hard to read too much into these games, doubt they would have subbed off Watt and Sibbald in a league game but no one failed tonight, Williams was really good defensively but will obviously need to cut out errors like the pass that led to their goal. 

Fitzy was really enjoyable tonight, if he can stay fit for the whole season he'll tear it up, looked a bit leaner as well. 

1 hour ago, Fuctifano said:

I didn't think he was man of the match as McMann got past him quite a few times but never put in a good final ball.

However he did play very well considering his age and being out of position and looked class when he had the ball himself. 

Hard to read too much into these games, doubt they would have subbed off Watt and Sibbald in a league game but no one failed tonight, Williams was really good defensively but will obviously need to cut out errors like the pass that led to their goal. 

Fitzy was really enjoyable tonight, if he can stay fit for the whole season he'll tear it up, looked a bit leaner as well. 

Amazingly disagree with just about everything you just said.. I thought McKenzie was outstanding and that Lawless actually let him down because he was blowing out his arse half the night (on the ball lawless was very good) 

Thought Williams like you said done the basics defensively well.. bit I thought him and also Fitzy looked lazy tonight. Still such a nothing game but those 2 weren’t at it for me.

The shift Big Graham put in tonight even after his sitter miss stole the show for me.. Fought for everything and  never gave United a break. 

Doolan has something here.

8 minutes ago, Thistle4eva said:

Amazingly disagree with just about everything you just said.. I thought McKenzie was outstanding and that Lawless actually let him down because he was blowing out his arse half the night (on the ball lawless was very good) 

Thought Williams like you said done the basics defensively well.. bit I thought him and also Fitzy looked lazy tonight. Still such a nothing game but those 2 weren’t at it for me.

The shift Big Graham put in tonight even after his sitter miss stole the show for me.. Fought for everything and  never gave United a break. 

Doolan has something here.

I agree that Lawless could have backed him up better, but MacKenzie did get skinned a few times by either the United LW or LB and in the first half got drawn inside a lot leaving them an out ball. That's not a massive criticism as he's a 17 year old playing out of position, was generally very good in possession and came onto a game defensively- but IMO he wasn't the best player on the park tonight (Graham for me, their CB could have easily picked up 2 bookings before he got his first)

I thought Fitzy second half had one of his better games with carrying the ball and decision making rather than just head down and blasting it, still a bit of a worry he's cramping after 80 minutes but hopefully he'll get there.