The Partick Thistle thread

1 hour ago, Nightmare said:

Yeah, Lawless has been excellent these past couple of years. I actually think he might be better now than he was in his first spell with us. He's still got the excellent close control and vision which he's always had, but with his experience he's now a smarter player off the ball and situationally. He's been a joy to watch at times, and particularly these last two weeks.

While the likes of Graham, Fitzpatrick and Milne can blow hot and cold, the two players in our team who consistently play at a high level are Steven Lawless and Jack McMillan.

Be great to see them being offered contract extensions and while I think Steve would sign right away I think Jack might think the Premiership beckons again. In saying that I don’t think many, if any, saw Milne sign an extension so fingers crossed. Those two are the heartbeat of the team!!

McMillan will be in the Premiership next season. I really hope it’s with us, but if it isn’t then good luck to him.

On Graham, the impact he’s had since coming to us is phenomenal, given his age and the general state we were in when he turned up. Throw in his achievements with the women’s team and he’s an absolute hall of fame certainty. 

The last 6 games now covered at the Archive, with all sorts of bits n bobs to enjoy, including match videos for all. Click on the match result to access any given match hub or click on the opponents to link to the head-2-head...

5.  Sat-29-Jul-2023 [h] (0-0) W2-1 The Spartans (League Cup Group B - game 4)
6.  Sat-05-Aug-2023 [h] (2-0) D2-2 Raith Rovers (SPFL Championship - game 1)
7.  Sat-12-Aug-2023 [a] (1-0) L1-2 Airdrieonians (SPFL Championship - game 2)
8.  Sun-20-Aug-2023 [a] (0-2) L0-4 Heart of Midlothian (League Cup 2nd Round)
9.  Sat-26-Aug-2023 [h] (2-1) W3-1 Queen's Park (SPFL Championship - game 3)
10. Sat-02-Sep-2023 [a] (1-1) W4-1 Greenock Morton (SPFL Championship - game 4)

18 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

If my reading of @The Thistle Archive is right, Graham after overtaking Mo Johnston and Chris Erskine today only has the following players ahead of him in terms of competitive goals for Thistle in the last 50 years

Joe Craig (last game 1976)
Denis McQuade (1978)
Frank Coulston (1974)
Dougie Somner (1979)
Kris Doolan (2019)

What a time to be alive! Absolute privilege to be witnessing Lawless and Graham on the ascent in the higher echelons of our charts...

:detective:  LAWLESS & GRAHAM ON THE ASCENT

● With his 45th competitive goal, Steven Lawless moves up to joint-48th in our elite competitive goals chart, overtaking Jimmy Davidson and George Wyllie.
● With his brace on the day, 58-goal Brian Graham moves up to joint-33rd in our elite competitive goals chart, overtaking Chris Erskine, Jim Melrose & Maurice Johnston in one fell swoop.
Tomi Adeloye scores his first goal for Thistle. Peachy.
Harry Milne's 77th minute dismissal leaves Aaron Muirhead as the last-man-standing in terms of 100% competitive game-time in 2023-24.
● Good to see a spread of 7 players on the goals/assists sheet. Four different players (McInroy, McMillan, Robinson & Stanway) register an assist, matching a tally last seen in the 5-0 win at Cove Rangers in April 2023.
● Thistle register their 100th competitive win over Morton, who become the 4th club to have been so defeated, following on from Clyde (126), Airdrie (112) and Killie (103).
● Thistle have registered more competitive wins at Cappielow (45) than any other away ground.
● Thistle have now failed to keep a clean-sheet in their opening 9 competitive games of the season. You need to rewind to 2003 (16) to find a longer opening run in that regard.

ongoing sequences:
● 12 competitive home games without defeat; 4th Mar 2023 to date. (Longest run since: 13 games; 19th Jan 2013 to 27th Aug 2013. Club-record: 24 games; 5th May 2001 to 17th Aug 2002.)
● 37 consecutive competitive appearances for Aidan Fitzpatrick, 3rd Dec 2022 to date, a new personal best. (Longest run since: Jack McMillan - 52 games, 9th Jul 2022 to 4th Jun 2023. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games, 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)

just read on WAT we're due another wee solidarity payment bonus from Ross Stewart's £8m transfer as he was in our youth academy for a bit. That's Nisbet, Hendry, and Stewart so far this season probably netting us about £100-120k in total. Somebody get on the phone to the Saudis and get them to buy Liam Lindsay please.

1 minute ago, Fuctifano said:

just read on WAT we're due another wee solidarity payment bonus from Ross Stewart's £8m transfer as he was in our youth academy for a bit. That's Nisbet, Hendry, and Stewart so far this season probably netting us about £100-120k in total. Somebody get on the phone to the Saudis and get them to buy Liam Lindsay please.

I had no idea Ross Stewart was in our youth academy. 

4 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Presumably we won't be getting much, as I'm pretty sure he was at Ardeer by the time he was 16 or 17, but anything we get is good with me obviously. 

The total solidarity payment across all developing clubs (5% of £8m) is £400k so if he was with us for a year between the age of 12-21 that's £40k.

Edited by Fuctifano

6 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

The total solidarity payment across all developing clubs (5% of £8m) is £400k so if he was with us for a year between the age of 12-21 that's £40k.

Depends what age he was, because I think (I might be wrong) that if it was between the ages of 12 and 15 then you get less than if he was over 15. 

6 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Depends what age he was, because I think (I might be wrong) that if it was between the ages of 12 and 15 then you get less than if he was over 15. 

I'll get my head round these rules yet. Hopefully when Al-Ittihad buy Liam Lindsay for £10m.

12 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Yeah, Lawless has been excellent these past couple of years. I actually think he might be better now than he was in his first spell with us. He's still got the excellent close control and vision which he's always had, but with his experience he's now a smarter player off the ball and situationally. He's been a joy to watch at times, and particularly these last two weeks.

While the likes of Graham, Fitzpatrick and Milne can blow hot and cold, the two players in our team who consistently play at a high level are Steven Lawless and Jack McMillan.

Yep, can't quite believe how vital Lawless has been. Rated him highly as part of the Erskine/Doolan/Lawless forward three back in the day, thought coming back he'd be more of a fringe player, but he's had far more good games than bad since coming back. Outstanding at this level as a left footed, right sided attacker these days.

Think most full backs just really don't know how to handle him, he's got a bit of that John McGinn low centre of gravity about him that he knows how to use.

Unironically reckon he's more likely than not to stay with us, certainly seems like he plays his best football at Firhill than anywhere else he's been.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

what id say about graham is that i mind us being linked with him a good couple of seasons before he finally joined - looking back i really wish we'd had him a lot longer than we did.

ive thought he looked creaky before, tbh, but even recently he's actually had the odd moment of causing real bother running at defenders, which isn't what id typically associate with him at all.

give him runners around him and he can be outstanding. also think he's the type of guy that will understand if, say, Robinson or Adeloye start ahead of him from time to time, and i like the look of both of them up front and all.

happy, happy days.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

11 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

I thought the solidarity payments only applied for transfers between different jurisdictions. Which Sunderland to Southampton isn’t, obviously.

Unless I’ve misunderstood this concept for years (highly possible), we won’t be due anything from the Ross Stewart transfer.

Edited by Nightmare

12 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

I thought the solidarity payments only applied for transfers between different jurisdictions. Which Sunderland to Southampton isn’t, obviously.

Unless I’ve misunderstood this concept for years (highly possible), we won’t be due anything from the Ross Stewart transfer.

According to the Irish FA, we will be due something since we’re in a different association.

Thereafter, Solidarity Payments are applicable if a player is transferred during contract between different juristictions and when a player transfers between clubs from the same Association who was trained by clubs outside the Associations jurisdiction

https://www.fai.ie/domestic/governance/fifa-solidarity-and-compensation-payments

12 hours ago, JagsCG said:

Charlie Mulgrew has announced his retirement, so that rumour has finally concluded. 

Glad that's that rumour put to bed. I really didn't fancy him coming to Thistle, with him having priors to throwing his toys out the pram and would (probably) be on pretty high wages. 

Pretty content with the start of the season, 7 points from 12 isn't an absolute disaster. 

Biggest positive for me though how Ben Stanway has looked the last couple of games. Keeps it simple and moves the ball on sensibly. Really hoping he kicks on and cements his place in the team.