The Partick Thistle thread

Posted (edited)

Didn’t want to troll through a match thread with other teams fans pretending to be delighted we lost even though they would have killed for a season like ours. I don’t know they think we would be angry at losing to you guys. Our season can’t be seen as anything other than magnificent  

After years and years in league 1 obscurity it’s been amazing to get back into this league and reignite some of the more passionate games with “old rivals”. None more than yourselves. Loved every game and you guys are an absolute standout both home and away in terms of on the park, and off it. 

Shows me what Airdrie have missed for many a year and despite how amazing our season has been we can only dream of a support like that. Yesterday felt huge. 

I thought we played well over the two legs but I can have absolutely no complaint we went out. Unfortunately we just weren’t good enough to hurt Partick more without causing our own issues at the back which you guys absolutely capitalised on (last night you could tell we still lack that wee bit of class when it was needed). 

Selfishly I want you guys in the league next season especially over Raith and the premier side potentially coming done but I wish you the best of luck especially after your heartbreak last season it’s been a blast for us

Edited by diamond_for_life

1 hour ago, diamond_for_life said:

Didn’t want to troll through a match thread with other teams fans pretending to be delighted we lost even though they would have killed for a season like ours. I don’t know they think we would be angry at losing to you guys. Our season can’t be seen as anything other than magnificent  

After years and years in league 1 obscurity it’s been amazing to get back into this league and reignite some of the more passionate games with “old rivals”. None more than yourselves. Loved every game and you guys are an absolute standout both home and away in terms of on the park, and off it. 

Shows me what Airdrie have missed for many a year and despite how amazing our season has been we can only dream of a support like that. Yesterday felt huge. 

I thought we played well over the two legs but I can have absolutely no complaint we went out. Unfortunately we just weren’t good enough to hurt Partick more without causing our own issues at the back which you guys absolutely capitalised on (last night you could tell we still lack that wee bit of class when it was needed). 

Selfishly I want you guys in the league next season especially over Raith and the premier side potentially coming done but I wish you the best of luck especially after your heartbreak last season it’s been a blast for us

I can't pretend to have anything but utter contempt for Airdrie and their support- even tho I'm sure some (most? Nah) of your support are absolutely fine.

However, I would have you every day of the year in the same league as us if possible - you're the only REAL rivalry left as far as I'm concerned, and football needs rivalries.

(Falkirk used to be a rivalry but to be honest, they could beat us every game and I'd just go 'meh').

No one was pretending to be happy you lost. 

Posted (edited)

Airdrie have had a fantastic season and my main take was we got past a very good team over the last two games.

Credit to McCabe, has done a great job  and stuck to his principles even when there was a minor wobble at the turn of the year.

The Champioship is going to be even more mental next season as unless St Johnstone or Ross County come down I don't think there'll be a standout favourite.

Airdrie will need to add a few players if possible as will Thistle. I guess the main thing is getting tour manager on a lo term contract as he surely must be on the wishlist for a few teams higher up the food chain?

I feel Dunfemline and Falkirk will look to the promotion playoffs at least. Queens Park could well add some quality. 

A great couple of games and good to see a good turnout last night. 

Congratulations on great season for your team. 

*sorry for lack of vitriol but I am all  bantered out haha

Edited by Claudia Gentile

To be fair a lot of the same supporters of other teams were likely laughing at us when we were beat by Ross County in the playoffs last year.  Will also likely be laughing at us if we get beat by raith next week or laugh at raith if they are beaten next week too.

has been an incredible season for you guys and you got to a cup final and won it too.  A very good manager and decent squad you have 

Videos, reaction, reports, stats and whatnot all in place...

Thistle 2 Airdrie 1 →

:detective:  DANGEROUS DUO

Aidan Fitzpatrick becomes the first Jag (since our assists records began more than 10 years ago) to register double figures in both the goals and the assists column (11 & 10) in a single season.
Brian Graham's opener means that he has now scored in a 16th (SIXTEENTH) consecutive month for Partick Thistle in competitive action. With a competitve game from last June, it's a freak-streak, but no surprise to us all the same!
● 78-goal Brian Graham enters the All-Time Top 20 of Partick Thistle's competitive goalscorers.
● 8-goal Brian Graham is now Thistle's third most prolific hitman vs. Airdrieonians; only Willie Sharp (18) and Willie Paul (9) have gone beyond that in competitive action.
● Brian Graham & Aidan Fitzpatrick - jointly acknowledged this week with a Thistle Pin - have an astonishing 49 (FORTY NINE) goals or assists between them this season, with Thistle having scored 84 goals in all competitions so far.
Stuart Bannigan goes shoulder-to-shoulder with Kris Doolan on 403 competitive appearances (both also aligned on 401 'major competitive' appearances). Only 13 men have went further.
● Thistle have won 7-in-a-row when Colin Steven has been the referee!
Airdrie become the most-consecutively-beaten club on Thistle territory in all of history. 11-in-a-row takes over from the 10-in-a-row vs. Raith Rovers (1912-1924).
● 4 of those who returned for the play-offs - Brian Graham, Luke McBeth, Aaron Muirhead & David Mitchell - continue 9 games unbeaten in all competitions.

ongoing sequences:

● 37 consecutive competitive appearances for Lewis Neilson, 15th Sep 2023 to date, a new personal best. (Longest run since: Steven Lawless - 60 games, 18th Feb 2023 to 6th Apr 2024. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games, 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)

airdrie-2.png

On 10/05/2024 at 15:57, Walter said:

Someone on the Morton forum saying Crawford has signed a two year deal with us. They're not going to be too happy if it's true and Oakley signs also.

Hardly. You could train a monkey to do what Crawford did for the back end of last season and the monkey could probably do it better. Oakley is a better bet but he has been around a while and not done much until Imrie took him in hand. No doubt though Graham can coach him on how to be a complete twat 

On 11/05/2024 at 11:13, Claudia Gentile said:

The Champioship is going to be even more mental next season as unless St Johnstone or Ross County come down I don't think there'll be a standout favourite.

Even if we come down there won't be a favourite, IMO. Our squads a mess, and there's 17 players out of contract this Summer with many more likely to go if we leave the top flight. So there'll be a massive squad build going on, while also dealing with likely a new manager and new owners.

A top 4 finish would be an achievement IMO.

35 minutes ago, Branch Ton said:

Hardly. You could train a monkey to do what Crawford did for the back end of last season and the monkey could probably do it better. Oakley is a better bet but he has been around a while and not done much until Imrie took him in hand. No doubt though Graham can coach him on how to be a complete twat 

Good to see you’re taking it well. 

33 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Even if we come down there won't be a favourite, IMO. Our squads a mess, and there's 17 players out of contract this Summer with many more likely to go if we leave the top flight. So there'll be a massive squad build going on, while also dealing with likely a new manager and new owners.

A top 4 finish would be an achievement IMO.

Obviously a lot of variables to be sorted no less position of manager if you were to come down.

However you'd have a fair bit more financial power than all the other clubs, even Livingston I presume?

1 hour ago, Mediocre Pundit said:

Good to see you’re taking it well. 

Happy to let you take a few more. You have already binned Crawford once but will be interesting to see him chasing about like a blue arsed fly if you do go up

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Branch Ton said:

You're embarrassing yourself re Crawford. Any morton supporter who says they aren't at the very least disappointed that he's left is talking shite. He was great for us and one of the first names on the team sheet for a multitude of reasons.

Edited by Mr.Blue

2 hours ago, Claudia Gentile said:

Obviously a lot of variables to be sorted no less position of manager if you were to come down.

However you'd have a fair bit more financial power than all the other clubs, even Livingston I presume?

I don't know. We had a £1.8m loss last season and expected to have a "substantial" loss again this year regardless of where we finish.

I think we'd have one of the top budgets but it won't be so far ahead of others that we can build an entire squad in one window and be better than settled sides who are just refining squads, if that makes sense?

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I don't know. We had a £1.8m loss last season and expected to have a "substantial" loss again this year regardless of where we finish.

I think we'd have one of the top budgets but it won't be so far ahead of others that we can build an entire squad in one window and be better than settled sides who are just refining squads, if that makes sense?

Recruitment would definitely be a big issue. 

Do what United did and 2 or 3 sure fire, starters or younger players with potential.

That is even before seeing who is released and who is sustained.

The recruitment seems to have been off for a good few seasons at McDiarmid from the outside looking in.

Is there any hope it will be better managed this close season irrespective of what division Saints are in?

2 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

You're embarrassing yourself re Crawford. Any morton supporter who says they aren't at the very least disappointed that he's left is talking shite. He was great for us and one of the first names on the team sheet for a multitude of reasons.

Exactly what part did he play in creating a cohesive attacking unit and how many goals exactly did anyone other than out three central defenders, Crawford and Oakley score in the last six months? Crawford might  be fine if you want the same old sterile shite I suppose, I prefer something rather more positive.

6 hours ago, The Thistle Archive said:

Videos, reaction, reports, stats and whatnot all in place...

Thistle 2 Airdrie 1 →

:detective:  DANGEROUS DUO

Aidan Fitzpatrick becomes the first Jag (since our assists records began more than 10 years ago) to register double figures in both the goals and the assists column (11 & 10) in a single season.
Brian Graham's opener means that he has now scored in a 16th (SIXTEENTH) consecutive month for Partick Thistle in competitive action. With a competitve game from last June, it's a freak-streak, but no surprise to us all the same!
● 78-goal Brian Graham enters the All-Time Top 20 of Partick Thistle's competitive goalscorers.
● 8-goal Brian Graham is now Thistle's third most prolific hitman vs. Airdrieonians; only Willie Sharp (18) and Willie Paul (9) have gone beyond that in competitive action.
● Brian Graham & Aidan Fitzpatrick - jointly acknowledged this week with a Thistle Pin - have an astonishing 49 (FORTY NINE) goals or assists between them this season, with Thistle having scored 84 goals in all competitions so far.
Stuart Bannigan goes shoulder-to-shoulder with Kris Doolan on 403 competitive appearances (both also aligned on 401 'major competitive' appearances). Only 13 men have went further.
● Thistle have won 7-in-a-row when Colin Steven has been the referee!
Airdrie become the most-consecutively-beaten club on Thistle territory in all of history. 11-in-a-row takes over from the 10-in-a-row vs. Raith Rovers (1912-1924).
● 4 of those who returned for the play-offs - Brian Graham, Luke McBeth, Aaron Muirhead & David Mitchell - continue 9 games unbeaten in all competitions.

ongoing sequences:

● 37 consecutive competitive appearances for Lewis Neilson, 15th Sep 2023 to date, a new personal best. (Longest run since: Steven Lawless - 60 games, 18th Feb 2023 to 6th Apr 2024. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games, 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)

airdrie-2.png

Luke McBeth's Granda bottom left. 

1 hour ago, Claudia Gentile said:

Is there any hope it will be better managed this close season irrespective of what division Saints are in?

We have zero scouting department so if Levein goes then no, as whoever comes in will be starting from scratch and weeks/months behind other clubs.