The Partick Thistle thread

Posted (edited)

Looking on the bright side at least we aren't into June before looking to start the rebuild for next season.

What are we looking at then? Goalkeeper, right back as McMillan's last touch for us is going to be that penalty, winger, centre mid and a striker who is happy to be Graham's number 2?

It would be nice if we can just sign a number 1 goalkeeper and forget about the position for a season instead of yet another year of Sneddon starting then losing his place. Quite looking forward to McBeth and O'Reilly has a centre half pairing and Muirhead can finally be the backup he was probably signed for be.

Edited by Pie Of The Month

32 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Looking on the bright side at least we aren't into June before looking to start the rebuild for next season.

What are we looking at then? Goalkeeper, right back as McMillan's last touch for us is going to be that penalty, winger, centre mid and a striker who is happy to be Graham's number 2?

It would be nice if we can just sign a number 1 goalkeeper and forget about the position for a season instead of yet another year of Sneddon starting then losing his place. Quite looking forward to McBeth and O'Reilly has a centre half pairing and Muirhead can finally be the backup he was probably signed for be.

Where is McMillan going? 

3 minutes ago, Highlandmagar said:

Have we defintely signed Crawford?

Don't think so, not sure if players will even be able to sign at present - surely most Championship clubs would have them under contract until a week on Monday, just to be on the safe side?

1 minute ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Not heard anything other than the fact he's out of contract and we'd have him signed up by now if he was interested in staying.

He'll probably want to at least see what offers come in before recommitting.

Maybe he's aware of Moneybags Ayr Utd flinging the cash around, wants a bit of that sweet Somerset lucre.

5 minutes ago, baba douche said:

He'll probably want to at least see what offers come in before recommitting.

Maybe he's aware of Moneybags Ayr Utd flinging the cash around, wants a bit of that sweet Somerset lucre.

Heard rumour he'd signed a PCA with Dundee United 

1 minute ago, I Clavdivs said:

That's somewhat more credible than the rumour that was doing the rounds in Kirkcaldy for a while - that Ross Millen was signing as Dundee United's right back next season.

Sore one last night after a brilliant performance but much more positive than last year. We have a good core of players, a tremendous and growing fan base and some exciting young players. We aren’t ready for the premiership yet but we could really mount a title challenge if we get recruitment right and build on the momentum.

I am totally shredded from last night. But. We are in a better position than last close season. Squad has had a season under its belt, good youngsters coming through and we seem to be financially more stable.

Onto next season. 

Thought you were the much better side last night and deserved to win. After the first leg I thought Raith would control the game at Starks but Partick never let them settle, good to see Blair Alston getting his goals. I also thought your support was really good and kept giving the team great backing. I won’t mention the numbers in the away end though as don’t want to be stereotyped.

40 minutes ago, I Clavdivs said:

He has also been linked with Hearts. I am not sure if either are true.

For me he hasn't been as good as last season even when Lawless was playing but when he goes a right back becomes one of the priorities for next season.

He hasn't looked particularly happy in the last wee while and I felt for him with his pathetic penalty last night.

He has been a good servant and was even one of The current Exeter City manager's better signings.

So good luck to him where he ends up. 

I would think it will be the top flight unless he has a move down south planned. It could even be a certain team in Devon.

Just now, Harry Kinnear said:

Thought you were the much better side last night and deserved to win. After the first leg I thought Raith would control the game at Starks but Partick never let them settle, good to see Blair Alston getting his goals. I also thought your support was really good and kept giving the team great backing. I won’t mention the numbers in the away end though as don’t want to be stereotyped.

It'll be good to have the Bairns support back at Firhill, hopefully get you early on in the new season while you're still on the crest of your unbeaten wave.

1 hour ago, Pie Of The Month said:

right back as McMillan's last touch for us is going to be that penalty, winger, centre mid and a striker who is happy to be Graham's number 2?

1 hour ago, SLClyde said:

Where is McMillan going? 

I was hoping we'd be looking to bring him back when I heard his contract was up but if the rumours of United and Hearts are true then that won't be happening

4 minutes ago, Claudia Gentile said:

It'll be good to have the Bairns support back at Firhill

There's loads of them, you may not have heard, but you will soon.

47 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Not heard anything other than the fact he's out of contract and we'd have him signed up by now if he was interested in staying.

He’s had an offer on the table pretty much all season, apparently. Clearly waiting for something better to appear, but based on his performances for the majority of the 2024 so far I’m not sure that’ll be coming. And if he’s already signed elsewhere then I’m not sure the new club will be entirely thrilled about that prospect right now…

Reflecting on last night, we’re in a much, much better place than we were a year ago. There are a few holes in the team, but the majority of a competent starting lineup is in place and I think Doolan will be much better placed to fill those vacant spots now that he’s had a year of learning how the whole management deal works.

—————— [NEW GK]
[NEW RB] - McBeth - O’Reilly - Milne
————— Stanway - Bannigan
——[NEW RW] - Robinson - Fitzpatrick
——————— Graham

I believe we also have Williams and some of the younger lads like Mackenzie and Diack under contract as squad depth, but I wonder if we might see them loaned out next year. Lawless is still under contract as well but it seems likely he’ll miss a significant portion of next season, so haven’t included him in the provisional lineup.

It’ll be interesting to see if Doolan will use McBeth as a CB or a CM. I’d be fine with either, and I think with a full preseason behind him he’ll be a top player for us next year.

So aye, new GK, RB, RW, a backup striker and probably a couple of new CMs (one of them being Robbie Crawford).

Ultimately, things are looking incredibly positive right now. The club appear to be on a much more stable financial footing and have a fanbase which is rejuvenated and growing; I’m convinced we’ll smash the 3k season ticket barrier relatively quickly again as soon as they’re on sale, which will hopefully give Doolan some more cash to play with.

Thought we were very unfortunate last night given the great chance on the 93rd minute and the other goal-line clearances they managed, but there was nothing much between the teams over the two legs. Overall it was a genuinely cracking play off and a great away performance - Doolan set us up really well and we almost pulled it off. Hey ho. 

We can file the shootout right in the bin/landfill along with the Queen of the South one in the diddy cup and last year's disaster.  Fourth time lucky next year?!!

Please sign a new keeper and get rid of the three we have, thanks.

So ideally what are we looking at signing wise?

As mentioned a number one goalie and a younger backup would be good for me. No point having three senior keepers when none of them are outstanding and all have their flaws. Mitchell has been pretty good in his latest wee run tbf.

A right back will be a priority probably, again as mentioned.

Probably another fullback required with Mgwenya away.

Midfield is one where we need to see what settles down in terms of re-signings and departures to see what we're left with and taking Crawford as a given.

Just like in January we still need one or two wide attacking players. Fitzpatrick can't do it himself and had a tough end to the season too.

Probably need a forward too to complement Graham and Diack.

So we have a decent core and central defence seems sorted and some good players in the midfield and up front, so no major surgery required but enough work needing done to keep things interesting.