The Partick Thistle thread

A couple of wingers is a priority for me, more so than a goalkeeper is. We simply can’t go into the season again where our only option to change things out there are central midfielders or a young left back.

Mitchell is the only one of our goalkeepers who I’d be fine with staying. That said, if we can improve on him then I’d absolutely be doing that. It’s time to say thanks and good luck to Sneddon.

Defensively I think we’re in a relatively good place. A new right back, obviously, but other than that Milne is still the best left back in the lower leagues and we have Williams, O’Reilly and Muirhead as dedicated centre halves, and possibly McBeth too depending what they want to do with him. All four of them have shown that they have it in them to be decent at this level. 

On the assumption that Kilmarnock aren’t keeping him, I’d look to keep McInroy. He’s a frustrating player, unquestionably, and he’s been off the boil for a while (admittedly playing out of position) but there’s definitely enough about him to make me think he’s worth being in a top-end championship squad. Wouldn’t bother about the other loanees - Adeloye is presumably fucked for a while, Neilson we have no chance of getting and I don’t think Ngwenya is good enough.

Getting some of the younger lads - particularly MacKenzie - out on loan would be good. He clearly has lots of ability, but needs to go and play games to learn how to impact them effectively.

Overall, as @Nightmare said we’re in a very good place as a club, which you simply wouldn’t have seen coming a year ago. I’d assume season ticket sales will go well, and with the Jags Foundation continuing to put in 10k a month that’s a healthy start to the budget. Hopefully there was some truth to Everton and others wanting Ciaran Loney and we can get another wee financial boost there. 

14 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Defensively I think we’re in a relatively good place. A new right back, obviously, but other than that Milne is still the best left back in the lower leagues and we have Williams, O’Reilly and Muirhead as dedicated centre halves, and possibly McBeth too depending what they want to do with him. All four of them have shown that they have it in them to be decent at this level. 

On this bit, I realise I didn't mention Muirhead in my post above. Transfermrkt has him down as being out of contract this season - not entirely sure if that's accurate, but if so that's another decision Doolan has to make. I'd probably keep him as a squad depth option and ideally not a starter, but I feel like we've been saying that about Muirhead for years and he always ends up playing every game.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

On this bit, I realise I didn't mention Muirhead in my post above. Transfermrkt has him down as being out of contract this season - not entirely sure if that's accurate, but if so that's another decision Doolan has to make. I'd probably keep him as a squad depth option and ideally not a starter, but I feel like we've been saying that about Muirhead for years and he always ends up playing every game.

I heard his appearances triggered an extension. I don't know if it is an optional thing but he would more than likely stay as knocked back better deals to stay with us last summer.

He also needs an operation to tidy up an issue he has carried throughout this season which has been noticeable at times.

I would be happy to have him in the squad next season.

Edited by Claudia Gentile

26 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

They also have him down as a right back…

I’ll be honest, I was just working on the assumption that Doolan would keep a guy who’s played 50-odd games this season, has been mostly reliable enough and seems to be one of the leaders in the squad. If we were in the position of him being third or fourth choice centre half, then I doubt we’d get anyone better. 

1 hour ago, Cptn Hooch said:

I was hoping we'd be looking to bring him back when I heard his contract was up but if the rumours of United and Hearts are true then that won't be happening

Even if they aren't (and I heard it was Dundee rather than united) I would hope that we can at least match if not better any financial package that livi can offer

26 minutes ago, Claudia Gentile said:

I heard his appearances triggered an extension. I don't know if it is an optional thing but he would more than likely stay as knocked back better deals to stay with us last summer.

He also needs an operation to tidy up an issue he has carried throughout this season which has been noticeable at times.

Heard a few times yesterday that he is definitely staying.

48 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

On the assumption that Kilmarnock aren’t keeping him, I’d look to keep McInroy. He’s a frustrating player, unquestionably, and he’s been off the boil for a while (admittedly playing out of position) but there’s definitely enough about him to make me think he’s worth being in a top-end championship squad. Wouldn’t bother about the other loanees - Adeloye is presumably fucked for a while, Neilson we have no chance of getting and I don’t think Ngwenya is good enough.

Getting some of the younger lads - particularly MacKenzie - out on loan would be good. He clearly has lots of ability, but needs to go and play games to learn how to impact them effectively.

Interesting discussion to be had on the loans.

McInroy is talented but has been very inconsistent for a variety of reasons. The right side of midfield role recently was maybe seen as a necessity but didn't really work overall.

If asked now I wouldn't particularly want him to sign but then again I still don't really know his best position in our setup.

He can't tackle but he can hit a mean shot. His passing can be hit or miss at times and his set-pieces are inconsistent too. 

Lewis Neilson is going to be a good player I feel and did some good work over the piece and got plenty of game time. I don't see him being a starter for Hearts next season but I suppose they have considerations to take into place with another European campaign on the horizon. 

I am not sure what level he'd be loaned out too if that was Heart's choice going forwards. 

We would surely be an option in that scenario?

Then again we have uncovered McBeth and he does the things Neilson does better, at this level anyway.

Adeloye is a good player but not sure what money he'd be wanting and as mentioned when he'd be back from his unfortunate injury.

Ngwenya has pace but I've not seen a lot else. Again I can't see him getting near the Aberdeen team so not sure what his next move would be. I'd possibly take him as fullback cover and he is still young enough to develop the attacking and defensive side of his game.

With regards to our you g players you wonder where they fit with us. Lyon and MacKenzie really need games. James got some experience at East Fife, but I don't see where they fit in with us? Are they even ready for a season of first team football in the Championship? I have my doubts so a loan may be the best option.

I'd hope the plan is to play McBeth in midfield with a full pre season behind him, with his confidence up he could (finally) be the Abdul Osman replacement we've needed for years now. Obviously he can cover CB as well though. 

I'd probably rather Mitchell moved on, he's probably OK as backup behind a better keeper. Who that keeper is I don't know, wonder if we'll look down south. 

Not sure on McInroy, I thought he'd be subbed on late last night as weren't many obvious penalty takers but would likely have to have subbed a sub like Raith did. If we're signing Crawford, and with Robinson under contract even allowing for his injury prone status then I think he'll go. 

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Claudia Gentile said:

16 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

They also have him down as a right back…

I’ll be honest, I was just working on the assumption that Doolan would keep a guy who’s played 50-odd games this season, has been mostly reliable enough and seems to be one of the leaders in the squad. If we were in the position of him being third or fourth choice centre half, then I doubt we’d get anyone better. 

An appearance clause extension would make sense.

Again, I think he's still reliable enough at this level as a squad option. I think if we're serious about contending for this division next year you probably don't want to be relying on him to start every single game, but no issues with him as depth, especially for the experience level he brings. Muirhead also said he's been taking pain-killing injections for months to get through games, so you can't fault his commitment and another year is probably a fair reward for that.

Eta - also torn on the McInroy debate. Another one who is probably a fine squad option but not convinced he's what you need if you want to seriously contend. A bit of a luxury player at times who floats in and out of games. Wouldn't be fussed either way if he signs again or moves elsewhere.

Edited by Nightmare

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Claudia Gentile said:

Interesting discussion to be had on the loans.

McInroy is talented but has been very inconsistent for a variety of reasons. The right side of midfield role recently was maybe seen as a necessity but didn't really work overall.

If asked now I wouldn't particularly want him to sign but then again I still don't really know his best position in our setup.

He can't tackle but he can hit a mean shot. His passing can be hit or miss at times and his set-pieces are inconsistent too. 

Lewis Neilson is going to be a good player I feel and did some good work over the piece and got plenty of game time. I don't see him being a starter for Hearts next season but I suppose they have considerations to take into place with another European campaign on the horizon. 

I am not sure what level he'd be loaned out too if that was Heart's choice going forwards. 

We would surely be an option in that scenario?

Then again we have uncovered McBeth and he does the things Neilson does better, at this level anyway.

Adeloye is a good player but not sure what money he'd be wanting and as mentioned when he'd be back from his unfortunate injury.

Ngwenya has pace but I've not seen a lot else. Again I can't see him getting near the Aberdeen team so not sure what his next move would be. I'd possibly take him as fullback cover and he is still young enough to develop the attacking and defensive side of his game.

With regards to our you g players you wonder where they fit with us. Lyon and MacKenzie really need games. James got some experience at East Fife, but I don't see where they fit in with us? Are they even ready for a season of first team football in the Championship? I have my doubts so a loan may be the best option.

I think Lyon could be mututally consented this summer and I think Hearts will want Neilson to play in the Premiership next season either with them or a bottom 6 club. 

Edited by Fuctifano

Unlucky guys,  a helluva gutsy effort against a team we will all be facing again next season,     Playoff football is what it's all about ups and downs...

Enjoy your break ya luvvies cannts

One of the first things we should be doing is getting McBeth on a longer contract. He's been outstanding since he came into the side. 

I don't think we'll see any of the current loanees with us next season with the possible exception of ngwenya who is decent enough cover. We need two more actual wingers, not centre mids forced out there along with a right back and a starting gk. I'm a bit conflicted over another striker as Diack probably deserves a chance there

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

One of the first things we should be doing is getting McBeth on a longer contract. He's been outstanding since he came into the side. 

Absolutely. New 2 year deal ASAP please (ideally longer than that, but just being realistic...)

Edited by Nightmare