The Partick Thistle thread

1 hour ago, Mike the Magyar said:

Win the league? Yer havin’ a laugh.

That result matches our standard of play so far this season. Explain that one please Kris or did we not want to progress in this competition?

Absolutely disgraceful performance and result.

We don’t seem to be progressing in any cup competition in 2024.

Capitulate against livi

suicidal defending against clyde

capitulate against Alloa

These results have lost us a few hundred thousand pounds in cash to say the least 

Very poor performance. Very apathetic. When Lyon went off, he could have been joined by any other player. Lovely headed goal, but I ask again. How does Brian Graham get ninety minutes?

IMO, Doolan has enough credit from the last season and a half as a manager to have earned a chance to turn things around. And this isn’t the first poor run we’ve had under him, so I’m confident that he’ll manage it fine.

Plus, it’s only the f**king Challenge cup.

No complaints about the result today against a smaller team of part timers from lower division who were fitter ,quicker on the ball and more tactically adept than a very poor and dysfunctional  looking Thistle .

Our fitness levels are worrying.Just about every game we seem to fade around the 70th minute mark .Witness the usually rock solid Harry Milne who was absolutely owned by Alloa's number 19 leading to two of their goals .

Doolan's reluctance to hook a frankly knackered looking Graham also a big factor today and was screaming for Ablade's directness at least at half time .

Playing Banzo and his doppelganger Turner in same team just does not work...too alike and slows the team right down in midfield allowing opposition defences time to get back and nullify any attacking opportunities we have .Our first balls also invariably too slow or passed directly to opposition player keeping unnecessary pressure on us.

Couple of big league games coming up.Lose and lose badly then the heat will surely be on Doolan .

Edited by I Clavdivs

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

1 minute ago, wullieaufc said:

Has Chalmers been as bad for yous this season as stats seem to suggest?

I think he divides opinion. For me though, it's hard to know as there's a real lack of cutting edge to our attack, which he can't shoulder the blame for entirely, as others haven't been at the races this season so far either.

1 hour ago, wullieaufc said:

Id give him a piggy back/go carry/ any teuchter variation of this back to Ayrshire, Dundee or Wish in the Jack Grealish section he chooses. Absolutely rank 

6 minutes ago, DazzJag said:

Id give him a piggy back/go carry/ any teuchter variation of this back to Ayrshire, Dundee or Wish in the Jack Grealish section he chooses. Absolutely rank 

Like it or not, he is the epitome of a confidence player. 

One of the most annoying things is seeing the pre match interviews, after the results, and watching how much actual pish these guys talk every week. The absolute nonsense coming out their mouths before a game, Doolan included.

Turner spoke this morning of how “we need to create more chances than last week and keep the ball on the ground” - so why didn’t you do it then?!

and also the pattern of “new guy” getting sent to talk to the cameras after defeats like this. No offence Charlie sayers but let’s find out what your Milne and Graham are saying on a day like this.

It won’t be long until the majority of fans turn if we keep playing like this. Not just the poor results but the style of play is horrendous. So slow and ponderous. We are rubbish to watch. 

13 hours ago, wullieaufc said:

Yesterday was his 'best' game. It feels like he's doing what he's told to on the basics but lacking confidence to take on a man or have a crack at goal so far. (He has had a few goal attempts).

Needs a goal or something to go really right for him. Maybe next week will fire him up? 😉

The only mitigation I would offer for Chalmers is that he’s had a centre half and a guy playing his first couple of games of proper football behind him. Wasiri, as much as he tried his best, didn’t offer him a great deal of support.

Even with that though, he’s been largely poor. 

2 hours ago, BdenJag said:

It won’t be long until the majority of fans turn if we keep playing like this. Not just the poor results but the style of play is horrendous. So slow and ponderous. We are rubbish to watch. 

Can't argue with any of that. Was trying to see what was missing from arguably Doolan's most successful and entertaining spell, the end of his first season up to the Dingwall Debacle.

Full-backs were McMillan and Holt.

Milne should be an improvement at full-back. Right back is still a problem. Not convinced by Casper, yet. I've seen rumours we were back in for Megwa on Thursday but fell through as Hibs main player there got injured.

Central defence has been decent with McBeth and O'Reilly.

Midfield had Turner and Docherty. Turner has tried to get involved but seems to struggle to play through the lines regularly. We don't really have a player comparable to Doc. Dools has tried Crawford deeper than I thought so far but still nowhere near as effective.

Obviously we miss Lawless and the synergy he had with Jack McMillan. Fitzpatrick hasn't really got going this season.

Another key difference was we had Tiffoney playing off of Graham and he stretched the opposition as well as getting in amongst the goals.

Brian Graham is a year or two older but he can still get on the score-sheet with decent service as yesterday showed.

We seemed on possession first and foremost but the midfield is too static and doesn't get in behind the opposition. Even from the wide areas.

So my areas of concern are right back, midfield too static and lack of creativity from out wide which seem to be running themes so far this season. 

A crucial few games ahead for the manager. We need to win our battles and go on the front foot rather than sit back on leads, even early doors. How we do it? I need to leave that to the gaffer.

1 minute ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

The only mitigation I would offer for Chalmers is that he’s had a centre half and a guy playing his first couple of games of proper football behind him. Wasiri, as much as he tried his best, didn’t offer him a great deal of support.

Even with that though, he’s been largely poor. 

We seemed to have gone with a more traditional right back and winger relationship, with Chalmers doing the forward play and he seems to track back more than Lawless did at times, when McMillan got forward on hos own right. There's nowhere near the same level of interaction going forward but as said, that's not really Wasiri's game.

1 hour ago, Fuctifano said:

Didn't see yesterday thankfully but maybe pace of Ablade could try and fill in for the Tiffoney role mentioned above? 

You would hope so. He had one decent effort but didn't see much of the ball. I guess that boils down to the issues with midfield and the creation of chances.

The only criticism I have of Doolan is his refusal to substitute Brian Graham, he can barely handle 60 minutes on a normal day let alone 23 degrees.

I can understand the frustration with no big hitter in the championship this season but I don’t quite understand the calls for McCabe at Airdrie, he’s also a young manager who makes mistakes and frankly can’t even get the better of Ayr, even last season when they were bang average.

Mind Doolan has only done about two seasons in management. Give it a rest, he will make mistakes and has shown that he can learn from them and turn things around.

Edited to add: Did anyone hear that big negative guy in the John Lambie who was spluttering and shouting as soon as we went 1 up.

Chalmers controlled a ball perfectly out of the sky and still got berated. 

Edited by Maine