The Partick Thistle thread

I think we have our centre back slots filled... I saw the u20s once last season and thought that Lindsay was the better of the two, but Hendry has looked fine in both the games he's played, as did Lindsay against Dundee United last season. It's good to see some young guys coming through, although I'm yet to be convinced about some of them.

As an aside, why do Thistle seem to attract a higher proportion of total heed-the-baws than other clubs? I had some deranged simpleton sitting behind me last night who would repeatedly scream "clear it" whilst the ball was in flight from a corner and in little apparent danger, let alone the fact it was a meaningless fixture.

Pleased to hear Archie say in the video interview that he's running with Frans, Seaborne, Hendry and Lindsay as his four centre backs.

There's no point in having a youth set up if we're not going to give these guys a chance to play.

In the 15 or so years I've gone to games we've only had a handful of youngsters come through, while similar sized clubs like Falkirk and St Mirren have had loads. It's time to give it a go.

I'd be wary of going into the season with 2 of our 4 centre backs only having 4 1st team (our 1st team) games between them. Add the fact that Seaborne will likely miss a few games and we're down to 1 experienced CB. Been impressed with the youngsters but asking them to play such a big part so soon is a big leap.

I'd be wary of going into the season with 2 of our 4 centre backs only having 4 1st team (our 1st team) games between them. Add the fact that Seaborne will likely miss a few games and we're down to 1 experienced CB. Been impressed with the youngsters but asking them to play such a big part so soon is a big leap.

I'd hope that Archie has seen enough of them to know if they can do a job or not.

Like Archie, I'm fine with going with Frans, Seaborne, Lindsay and Hendry. I'm surprised how comfortable Hendry has been in the first team. Thought he'd need another season in the development squad before challenging for a first team spot but Archie and Shaggy see him as a first team player and they're much better to judge than me. Lindsay is definitely ready for the first team. The boy is a mountain and a very good defender. I actually wanted him in the first team last season (#hipster). He'll get game time this season due to him being left sided and Seaborne loving an injury. Hopefully he steps up and we extend his contract soon.

Hopefully the strikers we're looking at have pace rather than being a target man. I'd presumed they do because if it was a target man we were after then Alabi may have got more of a shot. I still think we need we need someone else in who's a natural in the Stevo role. Wilson and Fraser can play there but I think they're better playing deeper. Welsh is good there but he's Welsh. Dean Shiels would be an ideal signing but we wouldn't be able to offer anything near, or even half, what he was on at Ibrox.

I haven't seen any of the pre-season games yet but have long said I'm happy for Lindsay and Hendry to replace Balatoni and BRE. Everyone has to start somewhere and Lindsay has had good reviews at both Alloa and Airdrie. If it does go tits up the likes of Miller or Osman could probably cover as well.

Lindsay is a unit, more than comfortable with giving him a chance, although not seen Hendry. The way to keep these young guys is to show them they will get game time here as opposed to playing in the reserves at a bigger club. Ideally they'll sign on again next summer and take over as full-time starters.

I haven't seen any of the pre-season games yet but have long said I'm happy for Lindsay and Hendry to replace Balatoni and BRE. Everyone has to start somewhere and Lindsay has had good reviews at both Alloa and Airdrie. If it does go tits up the likes of Miller or Osman could probably cover as well.

aye Elliot can fill in at right back and Miller can move into the centre, if Seabo is still injured vs Celtic I can imagine that's how we'll line up.

I'm pretty sure that McLaughlin boy who played against Motherwell was the first one who'd been involved with Thistle Weir to get a game for the actual team.

Guys like Leyden etc weren't involved in Thistle Weir AFAIK

Would the Weirs investment really have any affect on this level yet? I assumed the money went to creating several levels of youth far younger than 20 year olds and therefore it being a much further long term project?

Forgot about wee Neil. Penrice and Leyden too. All 3 were with the club before the investment though

The club website says that Kevin Nisbet, Matthew McInally and James Penrice started their careers at Thistle Weir. The Weir investment was made in October 2013. McInally and Penrice are 17 and Nisbet 18. Surely they must have benefited from the investment.

Edited by Bishop Briggs

I know it sounds negative but it's something I was thinking about. Keenan looked capable last pre-season but turned out to be an absolute disaster. And the likes of McDaid (and Wilson I suppose) have been slowly broken into the 1st team over the last couple years, Lindsay and Hendry are being thrown into the deep end in a key position. Also worth noting that Lindsay and Seaborne are already injured, do we're pretty depleted. On the other hand Fraser was the same age when he came into the team and looked class, and, as others have said, both have looked mostly comfortable in the team.

aye Elliot can fill in at right back and Miller can move into the centre, if Seabo is still injured vs Celtic I can imagine that's how we'll line up.

Gary Miller is never, ever someone you want to see at centre half. He's a bombing on full back, and a dependable one at that, but under no circumstances a central defender. Not to say it won't happen, but it's not advisable.

He was actually a right midfielder earlier in his career with County. That should tell you something.

Hopefully the strikers we're looking at have pace rather than being a target man.

We were discussing possibilities last night and Nicky Clark's name came up. Not sure whether he features in Warburton's plans but with Rangers having just signed Waghorn and allegedly looking to add another striker, he might find himself surplus to requirements. Would certainly fit the pacy forward criteria; whether he would be capable at this level is another matter.

Lindsay and Hendry are being thrown into the deep end in a key position.

They wouldn't be part of the squad if Archie didn't think they were capable. Muirhead's release is demonstrative of our managerial team's ruthless streak.

In any case, the former's had two loan spells, in addition to having Premier League experience. He's played against against eventual champions. He's played at Dens. It's time.

Not impressed by Nicky Clark, but, I think we're getting to a stage now where we dislike the old firm that much, that they are nearly contaminated and no good to us.

Edited by Archie

Gary Miller is never, ever someone you want to see at centre half. He's a bombing on full back, and a dependable one at that, but under no circumstances a central defender. Not to say it won't happen, but it's not advisable.

He was actually a right midfielder earlier in his career with County. That should tell you something.

He played there for us a few times and looked competent enough tbh

Not impressed by Nicky Law, but, I think we're getting to a stage now where we dislike the old firm that much, that they are nearly contaminated and no good to us.

Nicky Law would be the best player in the Thistle side by a country mile!