The Partick Thistle thread

Hendry, Welsh and Lawless were the main positives for me. Hopefully Welsh going off was nothing to do with going down in first half. Getting him back would be such a boost. Also in hendry and Lindsay I think we have potentially two very talented centre backs. Of the other youngsters to come on I thought Leyden looked to have something about him but probably not ready for first team yet.

Not impressed by Amoo the two times I've seen him but hopefully he picks up when real stuff starts. Certainly rapid but didn't look to get involved enough. A Carlisle supporting mate was with me and claimed at one point he's as rubbish as he remembers which is a bit concerning I guess.

Edited by Bob Belcher

I didn't think Amoo did too badly. He doesn't look spectacular, but his movement and pace were good I thought.

Agree about Hendry, he was impressive.

My only real worry is now the depth of our squad. Though if the younger guys keep playing well, then maybe they will fill the gaps fine.

Stevie Lawless - Player of the Year. Mark my words!!

First pre season game I've got to.

Impressed with lawless and Hendry in particular. Wilson looked good when he came on too.

Hendry was commanding, comfortable on the ball and looks like he possesses a fair amount of pace too which was pleasantly surprising.

Hoping to make Saturday if possible, encouraging performance I felt, by pre season standards.

Lawless' last season with Thistle this year I reckon.

Tonight was fairly decent at times for a friendly. Other than Lawless, thought Hendry was outstanding. Liam Lindsay's place as third choice centre-half looks to be in doubt. Welsh was also very good, hopefully his non-appearance for the second-half was just precaution rather than another six weeks out. Wilson showed glimpses that there's definitely a player there. Erskine-esque in build and the way he runs. We really, really need a striker though.

Lawless and Osman were a class above in my opinion. Thought that Hendry looks a completely different player from the Motherwell game a few months ago, looked very comfortable, particularly impressive considering the players he was up against. Doolan and Amoo never really got into the game, both were pretty quiet.

Forgot how good Welsh could be, hopefully he was subbed off as a precaution and it's nothing serious. Couple good saves from Cerny as well, from their free kick and the one on one. Good performance overall, and good to see a few youngsters looking capable of stepping up to the 1st team.

That's the second time I've seen Amoo in a week. Let's hope there's more to his game than running in straight lines, although I should note that he put in an inch-perfect cross to Doolan early on the game that resulted in a chance.

Lawless is going to be our main creative outlet. No question.

I'm not bothered if all Amoo does is run in a straight line. As long as when he does it ends up, more often than not, in something happening.

His highlight reel from Carlisle showed that he is unspectacular (save for one cool volley) but effective at getting the ball into the box and occasionally popping in a goal. I'll take that.

I'm not bothered if all Amoo does is run in a straight line. As long as when he does it ends up, more often than not, in something happening.

His highlight reel from Carlisle showed that he is unspectacular (save for one cool volley) but effective at getting the ball into the box and occasionally popping in a goal. I'll take that.

Absolutely spot on. For all that we'll miss SOD for, his poor delivery will not be one of them. Sure he managed a few great crosses in his time, but they were few and far between. If Amoo can run well enough in a straight line to get into a good crossing position, and then play a great cross in more often than not, then he'll be great for us.

Plus with Lawless on one side and Higgy on the other, we often ended up crowding the middle of the field with both cutting inside. To have Lawless cutting in, and Amoo sticking wide should give us some more options.

Sounds like it was a promising display last night then - definitely heading along on Saturday now.

Interview with Archie on the OS. Welsh took a stamp off the other player but was fine and was ready to come on for the 2nd half when they decided against it as a precaution, so nothing serious thankfully.

We've also inquired about 2 strikers, just waiting to hear back now.

Good news about Welsh and happy to read about our strikers search continuing at pace.

Sounds like a decent work out last night.

I'm mildly enthused about being back at Firhill on Saturday.

Hopefully Seaborne will be back although Hendry sounds promising. Fré and Dan were okay for their first spell together last season but need to get to know each other's play again rather quickly.

How rapid is Amoo?

Martin Boyle was a decent premier league player for us and all he could do was run in a straight line extremely quickly.

He would have been a very good player for us if he could work out when to cross/cut back and when to shoot and also if he could actually cross and shoot on target.

Number of chances he magnificently created all by himself only to f**k up at the death was incredible.

The lack of trialists for us suggests that the squad is almost complete. The post-match reaction comments suggest that the only addition before the start will be a new striker.

It's great to see the academy and coaching staff producing young players who can step up into the first-team squad. The Weirs will be pleased to see their generous investment yielding results so quickly.

Btw, does Seaborne have an injury that will cause him to miss the start of the season? He'll need a few games to get fully match fit.

That's a good interview with Archie on the official site*. Spoke highly of Hendry and said we're waiting on answers from two strikers. Junior Mendes is doing our sports science.

* Michael Max is just so much better at interviewing.

The lack of trialists for us suggests that the squad is almost complete. The post-match reaction comments suggest that the only addition before the start will be a new striker.

He said "we're still a couple short".

Edited by Slacker

* Michael Max is just so much better at interviewing.

And as PA. I don't like to see anyone out of a job, but the guy last year was as monotone and uninspiring as I've ever heard. Anywhere. Ever. Max was good last night. A welcome and hopefully more permanent return.

It's great to see the academy and coaching staff producing young players who can step up into the first-team squad. The Weirs will be pleased to see their generous investment yielding results so quickly.

Btw, does Seaborne have an injury that will cause him to miss the start of the season? He'll need a few games to get fully match fit.

Would the Weirs investment really have any affect on this level yet? I assumed the money went to creating several levels of youth far younger than 20 year olds and therefore it being a much further long term project?

Would the Weirs investment really have any affect on this level yet? I assumed the money went to creating several levels of youth far younger than 20 year olds and therefore it being a much further long term project?

The ones coming through have been with the club before the Weirs investment or, like Jack Hendry, been brought into the club as part of the Dev squad rather than part of the academy

I'm pretty sure that McLaughlin boy who played against Motherwell was the first one who'd been involved with Thistle Weir to get a game for the actual team.

Guys like Leyden etc weren't involved in Thistle Weir AFAIK

Forgot about wee Neil. Penrice and Leyden too. All 3 were with the club before the investment though