The Partick Thistle thread

Whoa, jumping the gun a bit where Hemmings is concerned.

Agree. We lucked out with Greg Stewart and Scott Bain. Roberts was/is fucking terrible, McGinn was good but inconsistent so a mixed bag from the championship.

Of this years championship(ish) recruits based on pre season I think Hemmings and holt will be good but loy and meggatt have yet to convince me and julen seems to be rated but not seen anything of him.

It should be noted I thought Tankulic would score a few goals after last pre season though....

Agree. We lucked out with Greg Stewart and Scott Bain. Roberts was/is fucking terrible, McGinn was good but inconsistent so a mixed bag from the championship.

Pretty much the same as our experience of getting guys from down south, an inconsistent mixed bag.

I've said it before, but when we bring in someone whose name is preceded by something like 'ex-Liverpool youth...' or 'former England U18...', you know what's coming. Not much.

Then you get the like of Osman and Seaborne who've turned out fine. (Note: their names were not preceded by any of the above when we signed them!)

I agree that hope we avoid Anier and not sure Clark is the answer Though I actually thought he did well with the soon gamers before corrupted at Ibrox but down south is not guaranteed success either when it comes to strikers look at Eccleston and Mukendi. Dundee have shown that lower league guys like hemmings and Stewart can work too up here. I doubt we could afford him but even someone like Sibbald at Falkirk will probably do well at an SPFL twam

You edited that m8? :huh:

Anyway, I can exclusively reveal that we will not be signing Nicky Clark or Henri Anier in this transfer window 8)

Sadly Cherno Samba has announced his retirement at the age of 29. I felt he could have been the player to fire us to cup glory and greater than seventh in the league this year :(

Released by Dunfermline. Haud me back.

I do remember finding it strange that Dunfermline were happy to release their top scorer at the time although I seem to recall he asked to be released so he could sign for a team down south, or something along those lines.

To finish top scorer at two clubs in the same season is a decent achievement, though. Must be doing something right.

Edited by Armand 2

It might just be me with the blinkers on, but I thought Ofere was a poor player with a terrible first touch who happened to score goals. He attacks crosses well and had a good finish in the semi against Celtic. He had an outstanding goals/mins ratio but from a small sample.

When Dunfermline let Ugwu go I wanted County to go for him, but I think I overestimated him. He scored four in his first eight at Yeovil, but then went 12 or so without scoring. I think he has better technique than Ofere but all of his goals for Yeovil were about latching on to loose balls in the box from hoofs up the park. That might say more about Yeovil than the player, I don't know.

At Dunfermline he could look way better than League 1 and showed a better variety of goals - including running with the ball from the byline into the box and curling into the far corner - but he didn't show it anywhere near enough, and that was obviously at a worse level.

Both forwards would offer some stature and would be a threat from cross balls, but I don't think either will offer the run in behind in the manner that Taylor could, which made Thistle so much more dangerous.

Ugwu is very unpredictable and raw - bit like Tade.

We were an absolute mess last season and he was our top scorer. In an important game when we were in playoff contention he took the ball off the designated penalty taker and missed. Was scapegoated by the manager and some fans. Arguement was that he was on too much money and had digs, later transpired our sub goalie was too and we signed four or five other players who all remained on the bench.

So really it was hard to tell whether he was good or bad or just that our management were probably to blame.Most of our players released have gone onto a higher position club. Tells you something, mainly Jim Jefferries, Neil McCann and John Potter are totally useless.

Both forwards would offer some stature and would be a threat from cross balls, but I don't think either will offer the run in behind in the manner that Taylor could, which made Thistle so much more dangerous.

Which is what Anier did well at Motherwell, if I recall correctly, and could suggest he's someone that we're still interested in despite his less than stellar time at Tannadice so far.