The Partick Thistle thread

1 hour ago, Reid said:

Our defence is far too soft. Need to get it sorted and stop playing centre backs at right back too. Foster could do with getting binned too - he loses the head and swipes at players. He’s a liability.

Was quite surprised he wasn't sent off for the lunge/tackle towards the end of the game.

I've lurked about for years, so this is my first time posting...

I watched it today on stream,,, what I took from it was the same rubbish performance, even from better players, that we saw when I was watching them in the first half of Div 2.

you can say that the defence went left when Darren Brownlie got injured, but really the defence stinks.  They needed Bell last year to fix it... with Brownlie.

there is something wrong.. we have good midfield and attacking players and look for long spells like we are capable of nothing.. its ok to say the defence is weak if you are going to score .. but we look like our defence is weak and we can't score

McCall's "reaction" defies belief.

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-match-reaction/managers-reaction-ian-mccall-26th-september-2021/.

"Today’s game represented the third consecutive away league match where Thistle have conceded three goals and the gaffer was left ruing the way his team conceded the goals today."

So that's 11 goals conceded in the losses to the four teams above us in the league! And his response is

“We can pick faults in them from our side but at times you do have to realise that there are two teams on the park and Raith scored a good goal in their eyes with the first. We’ll be disappointed for it, especially as it was a set piece, but it was good movement and a finish from a player we know well. The second one is just quite unlucky with the way the penalty was given but the third one is a bit frustrating."

Is that denial, complacency or just no idea on how to deal with our woeful defensive record? Probably a combination of all three. Rovers' game in hand is against the Pars. We will be four points off fourth place if they win it. That is unacceptable with this squad. McCall must wake up and sort this mess out quickly.

10 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

McCall's "reaction" defies belief.

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-match-reaction/managers-reaction-ian-mccall-26th-september-2021/.

"Today’s game represented the third consecutive away league match where Thistle have conceded three goals and the gaffer was left ruing the way his team conceded the goals today."

So that's 11 goals conceded in the losses to the four teams above us in the league! And his response is

“We can pick faults in them from our side but at times you do have to realise that there are two teams on the park and Raith scored a good goal in their eyes with the first. We’ll be disappointed for it, especially as it was a set piece, but it was good movement and a finish from a player we know well. The second one is just quite unlucky with the way the penalty was given but the third one is a bit frustrating."

Is that denial, complacency or just no idea on how to deal with our woeful defensive record? Probably a combination of all three. Rovers' game in hand is against the Pars. We will be four points off fourth place if they win it. That is unacceptable with this squad. McCall must wake up and sort this mess out quickly.

Our third one against you was brilliant, so McCall can use that excuse, but Broadfoot's and Sutherland's goals were on your shite defence IMO.

Didn't bother with game yesterday. Wasn't particularly confident but we seem to have played okay according to Rovers fans.

The team is lacking balance and that stems from the defence. Square pegs in round holes right along the backline. McCall even alludes to the fact he's not sure of his first eleven when questions if he should have started Rudden or not.

Going by results we are aiming for 4th or 5th place but maybe wait until we've had a full round of fixtures to see what's what.

If the manager can sort out a defensive shape that the players are confident with we might have a good shout at the top four, if not? Who knows...

26 minutes ago, jagfox BLM said:

Didn't bother with game yesterday. Wasn't particularly confident but we seem to have played okay according to Rovers fans.

The team is lacking balance and that stems from the defence. Square pegs in round holes right along the backline. McCall even alludes to the fact he's not sure of his first eleven when questions if he should have started Rudden or not.

Going by results we are aiming for 4th or 5th place but maybe wait until we've had a full round of fixtures to see what's what.

If the manager can sort out a defensive shape that the players are confident with we might have a good shout at the top four, if not? Who knows...

Pretty much what I would conclude from yesterday. The defense let you down, the midfield looks plenty useful and competent, and the attacking options were just off target yesterday. I think the end score was reflective of the relative balance, you had a clear penalty denied, as did we…Dallas may be a popular whistle with the SPFL, but both sides here hate his ass.

I wouldn’t have had a terrible problem with a draw overall, though giving up a tie at the death yesterday would likely have mentally imploded us. The return fixture will be interesting.

Square pegs in round holes is straight from the Ian McCall play book. He did all the time and tbh no one really bothered with it when it worked but when we started going on bad runs he was rightly hounded for it.

This weekend will be very interesting as it’s the first decent side we’ll have faced under Duffy although you seem to be on the slide a wee bit results wise. Will be a couple of familiar faces to see as well of course.

It's difficult to cut through McCall's bullshit at times but I think it's fair to say the original plan this summer was for a back 4 of Foster-Mayo-Brownlie-Holt with McKenna and Bell (plus one more) as back up. Brownlie's season-ending injury in pre-season obviously torpedoed that and then Holt having a nightmare vs Dunfermline in the cup at LB meant Foster ended up at left back again, where he started off poorly last year before coming onto form after the covid resumption.

I know he's scapegoat of the month but Foster isn't offering anything either defensively or going forward and in both of our last two games has lost the plot and lunged in picking up yellows (borderline reds) when we've been getting pumped which for a player of his experience is disappointing . Whether he's our least bad option at right back I don't know but when he's on the left the constant having to cut back onto his right foot slows us down and he needs to be removed from there.

Said in the Raith post-match thread that a 3-5-2 would seem to fit the squad quite well as both Tiffoney and Hastie can also play through the middle but the big issue would be wingbacks- Hendrie would presumably be LWB although we've no idea how good or otherwise he is at this level, and I arrived at the horrifying thought that Shea Gordon might be our best bet at RWB but if we do switch to that I'd assume it will be Foster.

3 hours ago, TxRover said:

Pretty much what I would conclude from yesterday. The defense let you down, the midfield looks plenty useful and competent, and the attacking options were just off target yesterday. I think the end score was reflective of the relative balance, you had a clear penalty denied, as did we…Dallas may be a popular whistle with the SPFL, but both sides here hate his ass.

I wouldn’t have had a terrible problem with a draw overall, though giving up a tie at the death yesterday would likely have mentally imploded us. The return fixture will be interesting.

They had a clear penalty denied?🤔

1 hour ago, Raith_Raver said:

It's one of these borderline ones. Not every penalty, foul, offside, booking, sending off etc is clear cut. Their keeper handling outside the box apparently was clear cut...

Not sure we’re discussing the same one. I meant Bene’s arm being struck by the cross near the end, not his arm being struck from a point blank shot earlier.

Just now, jaggyness said:

I see Gary Caldwell is a name that Steve Clarke allegedly wants on his coaching staff!

Sent from my J8210 using Tapatalk

Wants him working with the younger age groups , big difference from on his first team coaching staff