The Partick Thistle thread

Well nice to know there’s a lot of exciting potential transfers on the horizon from thistle. Having not read this thread for a week or 2, to see the last 100 odd comments are purely about speculation of how much compensation Fitzpatrick would cost without anyone actually knowing we’re in for him. Hope McCall has something interesting lined up soon!

1 hour ago, Doolan9 said:

Well nice to know there’s a lot of exciting potential transfers on the horizon from thistle. Having not read this thread for a week or 2, to see the last 100 odd comments are purely about speculation of how much compensation Fitzpatrick would cost without anyone actually knowing we’re in for him. Hope McCall has something interesting lined up soon!

This is an internet fans forum, not the minutes from the Thistle boardroom meetings.

Just because uninformed fans dont know our transfer targets, doesnt mean we arent after exciting/good signings.

1 hour ago, Doolan9 said:

We have been in for him 👍

Steven Lawless signed on a 2 year deal.

Didn’t seem to have a great spell at Dunfermline last year but who really did? We definitely needed some wide players so it feels like a pretty solid signing.

Edited by Nightmare

Nothing seems to have really worked out for Lawless since he left Livi, but if he can recapture some of his previous form with us then it’ll be a good signing. Good to see that McCall’s trip to Seville wasn’t wasted too. 

Hopefully the Jordan Rhodes negotiations don’t drag on too much longer. 

I'm not really sure about the overwhelmingly positive reaction to a signing who hasn't hit any form for his last 2 clubs on the basis he was good for us years ago but I suppose it at least decreases the chances of shoehorning centre midfielders into the team out wide.

It probably fucks the 3-5-2 theory though as he's nothing other than a winger and we still have Tiffoney unless he's sold this summer.

20 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Hopefully the Jordan Rhodes negotiations don’t drag on too much longer. 

The longer it drags on the more skeptical  I am that we’ll get it done. 

Maybe Mikael Mandron is available instead?

Think the list of players who've had two spells with us- not counting loans immediately made permanent like Tiffoney or Keown- and been at least as good in the second spell would be pretty short (maybe @The Thistle Archive can draw up a list from last 30 years or so).

Erskine in his 2nd permanent spell perhaps. Archibald maybe, I'd say he was decent 2nd time round but better when he broke through. Charnley on the basis his 1st spell was in the 2nd tier and his 2nd spell in the PL but that is going back 30 years nearly.

Suppose if we just re-sign more folk that used to play with us then we'll land on one eventually, got 3 already this close season. 

Last season I went from thinking Lawless would be a disastrous signing when he left Motherwell and was out the game for 4 months, then a good signing after first couple of times I saw him play for Dunfermline, then a poor signing after his game at Firhill. Definitely at least fills a problem position though I'd like 2 more wide players in even if Tiffoney stays.

Edited by Fuctifano

This is an internet fans forum, not the minutes from the Thistle boardroom meetings.
Just because uninformed fans dont know our transfer targets, doesnt mean we arent after exciting/good signings.

Was only meant as a joke! However, I now claim full credit for the signing of Stevie lawless with this post haha. Delighted to have him back!

I think Lawless will be ok with better players around him but the response on Twitter seems to be overwhelmingly positive, probably put that down to his first spell

His first performances were really encouraging, showed good technique and the ability to find a pass which our other attacking players couldn't but as the weeks went on his performances got worse and worse and eventually it seemed like he had completely chucked it. He'll probably do ok but not the messiah some on Twitter seems to think he is, he also had the armband for a good few of our games and he defo not captain material.

57 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Steven Lawless signed on a 2 year deal.

Didn’t seem to have a great spell at Dunfermline last year but who really did? We definitely needed some wide players so it feels like a pretty solid signing.

Dreadful signing.

3 minutes ago, VinnyPar said:

I think Lawless will be ok with better players around him but the response on Twitter seems to be overwhelmingly positive, probably put that down to his first spell

His first performances were really encouraging, showed good technique and the ability to find a pass which our other attacking players couldn't but as the weeks went on his performances got worse and worse and eventually it seemed like he had completely chucked it. He'll probably do ok but not the messiah some on Twitter seems to think he is, he also had the armband for a good few of our games and he defo not captain material.

Stevie Lawless is not the kind of player you want in a relegation battle. Was baffled when I seen him as captain on one of your live games.

Don't take our Twitter presence as a gauge of the wider support's opinion. Most of them and the Facebook lot are just a bunch of happy-clappers who think everything the club does is sunshine and rainbows.

That being said, I think Lawless is an okay option, provided we either A) sign an attacking right back who can overlap and provide width when Lawless cuts inside or B) use him as a squad player and an option off the bench. A right hand side of McMillan and Lawless wont cut it, IMO.

1 minute ago, Rob1885 said:

Find the re-signing of the likes of Lawless and Muirhead a bit strange.

The Muirhead one is especially strange since we signed a younger, better version of him (Jack McMillan) about a week later.

8 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Find the re-signing of the likes of Lawless and Muirhead a bit strange.

Should be back-ups/cover rather than first-choice. It's possible that Lawless could be a playmaker rather than a winger. We will need a right winger with pace and a good cross. And it will be McMillan's second spell with us too.

Edited by Bishop Briggs

21 minutes ago, Doolan9 said:

Was only meant as a joke! However, I now claim full credit for the signing of Stevie lawless with this post haha. Delighted to have him back!

Genuine question - why are you delighted to have him back?

I think he should be okay, but his recent spells at Motherwell and Dunfermline have been alarming.