The Partick Thistle thread

18 minutes ago, BigMadMental said:

He is but he is also injury prone for a large part of this season so far, more or less since June.

perhaps he would want another year to stay fit and put himself further into the hunt for a decent Move. 

He played every game last season to be fair. He could comfortably get a better paying contract than we can offer. 

1 hour ago, BigMadMental said:

could say same about Muirhead but unsure if we would retain him or decide to move forward. 

I doubt we’d make any decisions about Muirhead before the summer. Unlike McMillan I can’t imagine many/any clubs will be racing to offer him a PCA in January. 

Think mcmillan will be the only one of our own signed players still out of contract we'll be making a big effort to keep. Muirhead, Alston (and one or both senior keepers) can probably wait til nearer the summer. 

Plenty of stability for next season anyway unless we go up and then panic about how many could cut it, but doubt we'll have to worry about that. 

If Alston continues to do well I think we should probably offer him something. McInroy is off back to Killie so you would expect that Alston or Robinson will be there next season, but not sure if there’s much value in keeping them both, particularly if Robinson can’t stay fit. Alston’s initial fitness issues seemed to revolve simply around match fitness, he is definitely looking fit now.

as for McMillan, it just depends if January is too soon for clubs to be offering something to a guy who hasn’t played much this season due to an injury. Perhaps closer to the end of season, by which point he would probably have been clear with the club about his intentions, but also other clubs will have assurances he is definitely the same player as last season. 

in any case, Wasiri will continue to develop no doubt, and will be a key player next season at the back, replacing either muirhead or McMillan. 

Edited by BigMadMental

McInroy is out of contract in the summer and almost certainly has no future at Killie. Would think most FT championship clubs and a couple of Premiership ones will be in for him. 

Alston has been fine played further forward these last couple of games but that's a failing of the squad building where we have him, McInroy, Robinson and even James Lyon (the latter two are also under contract with us for next season) who are all best as a number 10.

On 27/11/2023 at 07:26, jagsfan57 said:

Is he getting much game time for them. Last time I looked he wasn’t in the squad. Anyway, more likely scenario is he will score.

No hrs not, and he regrets going now. They just don’t play football. There’s no point in him being there. 

This image randomly popped up on twitter today (my wee cousin sent it to me). 7 year old Velo Army decked out in hat and scarf.

E.T.A at home v homeless Clyde 7th March 1990.

Made my day seeing this.

Further edit. I'm fairly sure the twitter account that said this was v Clyde got it wrong. I remember us getting our picture taken for the paper on that corner and it was before getting horsed 6-2 by Aberdeen in the Scottish Cup in 1992. It was the first time we'd stood there and we made mention of our photo (evening times, I think) for ages after that. 

Ken naebdy cares, but it was bugging me.

GAVqd3SWEAAmmUt.jpeg

Edited by velo army

5 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Four of our starting line up products of thr academy.

Must be a while since we've had that, no?

Bannigan, FItzpatrick, MacKenzie and Stanway were all starting the league cup group stages together so won't be that long ago. Lyon too but don't think there was any where all 5 started.

5 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Bannigan, FItzpatrick, MacKenzie and Stanway were all starting the league cup group stages together so won't be that long ago. Lyon too but don't think there was any where all 5 started.

Of course! 

Quite impressive we have 6 or 7 academy graduates currently in our 1st team squad. Add in Lindsay and Nisbet going on to have very good careers elsewhere, it means we are doing something right.

Long may it continue.

Edited by Jacky1990

Was there no a game in either 2014 or 2015 where we played Dundee United and had to start a load of youth players? I vividly recall Dale Keenan being one of them and knowing that he wasn’t going to make it based on that performance alone.

Edit: just checked - it was only 3 (Bannigan, Keenan and Lindsay) plus McDaid who is forgotten we signed from Morton when he was about 17. 

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

On 25/11/2023 at 23:03, Slipmat said:

A couple of other results for you from that season:

12 April  -  Partick Ramblers Reserves  2  Thistle Reserves  0  at Overnewton

12 May  -  Thistle  5  Smithfield  0  at Sandyford Park

Oh, thanks for thinking of us, jolly decent of you.

The Ramblers game we have in our reserves section, played on Saturday the 14th April, not Thursday 12th (unless there's another match?)

http://www.thethistlearchive.net/1876-77-reserves

Re the Smithfield, are you sure that's Partick Thistle? The team known as 'Thistle' was from Bridgeton and we often get mixed up with them in the modern day. The contemporary press were usually very good at stating 'Thistle' or 'Partick Thistle' with very few problems. Do you have the source snippet per chance?

Most of the post Airdrie updates in place, explore via the home page news...

:detective:  QUICK-START DIACK

Brian Graham's personal best run of 38 competitive games not-out comes to an end due to suspension, leaving Stuart Bannigan and Steven Lawless as the 'last-men standing' in terms of having appeared in all 21 competitive games of 2023-24.
● It's a double-whammy in the H2H this afternoon as Thistle meet Airdrie for the 200th time in league action, and for the 250th time in all competitions.
● 18-year-old Ricco Diack marks his first competitive start with his first goal for Thistle. His 7th minute goal is the 5th quickest on record for the category! (see Graphic below).
● With two assists, the astounding Aidan Fitzpatrick takes his direct goal involvement tally to EIGHT in the last four games.
● It's 9 (NINE) consecutive wins over Airdrie at Firhill, a brand new club-record for Partick Thistle FC.

ongoing sequences:
● 5 competitive away games without defeat; 2nd Sep 2023 to date. (Longest run since: 7 games; 1st Apr 2023 to 18th Jul 2023. Club-record: 11 games; 29th Sep 1962 to 14th Mar 1963.)

● 40 consecutive competitive appearances for Steven Lawless, 18th Feb 2023 to date. (Longest run since: Aidan Fitzpatrick - 43 games, 3rd Dec 2022 to 21st Oct 2023. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games, 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)

2023-12-02-sw1.jpg

3 minutes ago, The Thistle Archive said:

Oh, thanks for thinking of us, jolly decent of you.

The Ramblers game we have in our reserves section, played on Saturday the 14th April, not Thursday 12th (unless there's another match?)

http://www.thethistlearchive.net/1876-77-reserves

Re the Smithfield, are you sure that's Partick Thistle? The team known as 'Thistle' was from Bridgeton and we often get mixed up with them in the modern day. The contemporary press were usually very good at stating 'Thistle' or 'Partick Thistle' with very few problems. Do you have the source snippet per chance?

Glad to be of assistance 😁

You are right about the date of the Ramblers match - my handwritten notes leave a lot to be desired in terms of legibility.

Smithfield game is taken from the North British Daily Mail of 15/5/77:

BL_0002683_18770515_032_0003-cropped.jpg

BL_0002683_18770515_032_0003-cropped.pdf

On 02/12/2023 at 14:54, velo army said:

This image randomly popped up on twitter today (my wee cousin sent it to me). 7 year old Velo Army decked out in hat and scarf.

E.T.A at home v homeless Clyde 7th March 1990.

Made my day seeing this.

Further edit. I'm fairly sure the twitter account that said this was v Clyde got it wrong. I remember us getting our picture taken for the paper on that corner and it was before getting horsed 6-2 by Aberdeen in the Scottish Cup in 1992. It was the first time we'd stood there and we made mention of our photo (evening times, I think) for ages after that. 

Ken naebdy cares, but it was bugging me.

GAVqd3SWEAAmmUt.jpeg

No it was v Clyde in 1990 you can see all the Clyde fans in the Shed from the next shot on the negs. It might have been at half time tho.

3-0 to Clyde that day.

Think that 2-6 Cup game was 1990 (but in January) so it was before this picture. 

Good your cousin recognised.

78_9acolour.jpg

1 minute ago, Malcolm Tent said:

No it was v Clyde in 1990 you can see all the Clyde fans in the Shed from the next shot on the negs. It might have been at half time tho.

3-0 to Clyde that day.

Think that 2-6 Cup game was 1990 (but in January) so it was before this picture. 

Good your cousin recognised.

78_9acolour.jpg

I meant to add I actually remember the photo being taken and it was definitely the Aberdeen game. Because of the big crowd (almost 12000) we couldn't get into our usual seats on the main stand so we joined my Uncle and cousin at their usual spot.