The Partick Thistle thread

8 minutes ago, BillyAnchor said:

We're doomed

Not yet. There's a point between Thistle and three teams above. That said, the text messages I read from the game today suggest that point, never mind three, might be a tall order from the squad right now.

I have to admit to serious doubts about Archie for the first time in a long time. A defence that seems to brainfart as much as Thistle's does - and has - is a worry, especially when it's coached by a defender who wasn't half bad at his job.

Another skin-of-the-teeth survival act is on the cards but I'm also telling myself not to be so daft after just six games.

Hey ho.

1 hour ago, Dr Koop said:

Not yet. There's a point between Thistle and three teams above. That said, the text messages I read from the game today suggest that point, never mind three, might be a tall order from the squad right now.

I have to admit to serious doubts about Archie for the first time in a long time. A defence that seems to brainfart as much as Thistle's does - and has - is a worry, especially when it's coached by a defender who wasn't half bad at his job.

Another skin-of-the-teeth survival act is on the cards but I'm also telling myself not to be so daft after just six games.

Hey ho.

None of the teams a point above us have Danny Devine.

We're fucked.

1 hour ago, Dr Koop said:

Hey ho.

Our defence has been among the better ones in the league over the last 18-20 months, which led to us being well clear of relegation over the last two seasons. The major difference between then and now is our failure to successfully replace Frans, who had a wondrous effect on our defence when we were in a similar situation a few weeks into 2014/15. Lindsay + Frans/Seaborne just about held us together, but partner him with someone even more error prone and lacking in confidence as was apparent today, and it falls apart.

That one problem position will keep us in danger until it's resolved, but the most frustrating thing is I believe we're otherwise okay; even with Bannigan and Dumbuya's long term injuries. Say we had Frans instead of Devine, we'd have someone capable of holding the back four together with the possibility of Barton and Osman in front of them, not to mention one of the best keepers in the league in Cerny. That would give us another very solid defensive structure.

So while it's unfortunate that Devine is getting hounded for our current position, it's for good reason when you compare our current squad to previous seasons.

Edited by AMMjag

I feel Gordon has much to answer for too btw, but his failings in relation to how our team works is his lack of effectiveness going forward. This was very apparent in the first half hour today, when we saw Booth getting in behind the *** defence on several occasions, while Gordon barely offered an overlap at all.

Our defence is now so bad that playing Ryan Scully isn't even standing out as a bad thing any more.

Always thought Frans and Seaborne were a bit over-rated and our defence last year was greater than the sum of its parts but maybe not.

Without wanting to copy the post from the match thread, the point Snakebite, me and others made about us having 1267162153564 midfielders (Div Wilson, why?!) and the absolute minimum central defenders / strikers is really hitting home now. We have very few options to change at either end of the park which ain't great when you're normally leaking 2 goals a game and the 2 strikers you do have are unable to score before October.