The Partick Thistle thread

We went from not having scored from a corner for years to being proper deadly from them. He seemed to have a great awareness with Balatoni.

His composure and ball in for Doolan in the CC final gave me one of the best moments / celebrations as a Thistle fan.

Both goals vs Dunfermline were outstanding. His late winner v St Mirren in the Prem was very important in the grand scheme of things.

If every Thistle player of the past 15 years had made a similar overall contribution then we wouldn't have spent as much of that time being utter shite.

Thistle Premiership XI (sparked by a convo I had today)?

Pretty straightforward for me:

Cerny

O'Donnell

Barton

Lindsay

Booth

Osman

Bannigan

Lawless

Erskine

Higginbotham

Doolan

Agree/disagree?

Wouldn't have Barton in a back four.

Wouldn't have Cerny after today...

<<< raw :P

Dumbaya of last season and SOD is a close call too.

Edited by jagfox99
C'mon the Jags

Booth does a job and is usually a 6/10 at worst, but he's cost us points of late with individual errors and I don't think he's really suited to a 3-5-2. His end-product isn't great either. Our defensive record has been pretty good as long as he's been here, but I suspect that's more to do with Osman and then Cerny coming into the team. With the rest of the squad looking reasonably strong - at least while Lindsay remains - I'd be looking to upgrade in that position over the summer, or at least look to ease Penrice into the side.

ATS had his frailties but always got the ball forward for us and had a decent end-product. Hasn't kicked a ball all season through injury, I think he'll be back in Scotland before long and hopefully with us.

I suppose this is an alright time to point out that all 3 of SOD, ATS and Taylor are out of contract end of this season according to transfermarket

I'm just disappointment that we were probably looking to get 4 from 6 points out of last two games..and threw away 4 of them

I'd probably go with Muzzy and Booth over SOD and ATS, think the latter two are being over-fondly remembered due to not being here at the moment and their performances in the promotion season (i.e. not in the Premiership) and worth remembering just how pish our defence was in the first season up, and not just in the centre. Was going to question Erskine as well as it can't really be based on his 13/14 loan spell where he had 2 good games so is it solely on this season? Then I remembered the competition is James Craigen and Ryan Edwards so probably fair enough.

Penrice could easily be our starting LB this time next year if he keeps going at his current rate, guess the ideal move would be a loan to a Championship club for the first half of next season.

I hope Archie already has his eye on a couple of centre backs for next year. Assuming Lindsay will be away and Reading wanting Keown back. Even if they decide to loan him out again, we can't sit and do nothing waiting for that decision. They might want him at a higher level to continue to test him.

Concur with the comments on Keown. Wasn't sure on him initially and thought he was possibly a tad on the small side but he's been absolutely faultless since coming into the team. I think his lack of height might limit him down south though. If we manage to get decent coin for Lindsay, I would be more than happy to see us spend some of that trying to get Keown permanently; suspect we'd stand a better chance of that if Reading get up via the play-offs.

You've got to imagine that getting into the Top 6 perhaps holds a bit more signifcance this year. Their in pole position, seem to generally be considered the best of the rest so would be a disappointment if they don't. With the additional income finishing higher plus the 2 home games against Celtic/Rangers post split swelling the coffers they'd probably be in a position to offer new long term improved deals to all the key players in the squad and possibly further strengthening again. Might live to regret they four points dropped though.

Edited by paddymcp

7 hours ago, paddymcp said:

You've got to imagine that getting into the Top 6 perhaps holds a bit more signifcance this year. Their in pole position, seem to generally be considered the best of the rest so would be a disappointment if they don't. With the additional income finishing higher plus the 2 home games against Celtic/Rangers post split swelling the coffers they'd probably be in a position to offer new long term improved deals to all the key players in the squad and possibly further strengthening again. Might live to regret they four points dropped though.

Already regretting the four points dropped. Would be chasing Hearts for fifth, hoping to leave them as 'best of the rest'.

1 hour ago, Griff Sheridan said:

We've dropped more than four points needlessly btw! I think the stat is more like 14, which would see us in fourth position just now.

Off the top of my head: County (1-1, -2 pts), Inverness (1-1, -2 pts), Rangers (1-2, -1 pt), Kilmarnock (1-1, -2 pts), Hearts (1-2, -1 pt).

The Hamilton draw at Firhill still rankles but I don't think their equaliser was quite a late as the above from memory.

That's just the points lost in the last minutes, never mind the games where we should have taken more due to poor finishing or refereeing (Erskine's goal at Hamilton, Hearts at Tynecastle, Azeez's numerous blunders). Granted, if yer auntie had baws...