The Partick Thistle thread

I'm interested to see how we line up on Saturday. If Osman is anywhere near fit, there's no question he'll start. That leaves us with a 'need' to shoehorn Barton into the team who has been slightly exposed in the League Cup whilst playing in a defensive pairing and you'd suspect he'd be even more so against a higher calibre of opposition.

If we play three at the back, the only guy that I can see dropping out would be Spittal which would be unfair considering his performances so far. It would also deprive us of his set-piece delivery which might be invaluable. If Erskine is struggling then it might force Archie's hand in any case but I can foresee an accommodation issue with Barton this season if Bannigan and Osman stay fit.

I'd be kind of surprised if he wasn't at least on some kind of early shortlist, but I can't see him going there.

17 minutes ago, Armand 2 said:

I'm interested to see how we line up on Saturday. If Osman is anywhere near fit, there's no question he'll start. That leaves us with a 'need' to shoehorn Barton into the team who has been slightly exposed in the League Cup whilst playing in a defensive pairing and you'd suspect he'd be even more so against a higher calibre of opposition.

If we play three at the back, the only guy that I can see dropping out would be Spittal which would be unfair considering his performances so far. It would also deprive us of his set-piece delivery which might be invaluable. If Erskine is struggling then it might force Archie's hand in any case but I can foresee an accommodation issue with Barton this season if Bannigan and Osman stay fit.

If we're sticking rigidly to the 4-2-3-1, then would there be an argument in that central midfield triangle being Osman, Bannigan and Barton together, with the latter two switching around being the one further forward?  I'd say 3, but the thought of Osman being a creative outlet is...troubling.  Barton is calm on the ball, can pick a pass, and we've seen him able to carry it ponderously forward with a few tricks.  He's weak in a central defensive 2, so why not try him somewhere else where he's probaably weak :P

Obviously that means dropping Erskine, but if he's not fit then there's an opening.  Feel free to tell me I'm talking absolute shite though.

Totally agree. It's a good problem to have though.

I think Archie will lean towards a more defensive setup this opening weekend with an extra man in midfield like a 4-5-1 or 3-5-2. This means Barton will be used in his preferred position.

It's more against diddy teams [emoji6] where if Osman, Barton and Banzo are all fit how do you accommodate them?

Absolutely would play Spittal as he's showing his value on set pieces as you say that will possibly be a skill set we need. Plus on counter attack we have those options in team.

I'd almost say he may drop one of Edwards, Lawless or Erskine and have them as impact players from the bench.

Apparently we have another signing this week; hopefully that forward we all have on our wish list.

Remember the English players are all released this week so I'd expect the targets Archie had to be signed up this next 1-2 weeks. Gone are the days we panic sign shitey journeymen who are past it like Scott "cheater" McDonald.

Keown, Spittal and Turnbull all look like great business to me!

6 minutes ago, forameus said:

If we're sticking rigidly to the 4-2-3-1, then would there be an argument in that central midfield triangle being Osman, Bannigan and Barton together, with the latter two switching around being the one further forward?  I'd say 3, but the thought of Osman being a creative outlet is...troubling.  Barton is calm on the ball, can pick a pass, and we've seen him able to carry it ponderously forward with a few tricks.  He's weak in a central defensive 2, so why not try him somewhere else where he's probaably weak :P

Obviously that means dropping Erskine, but if he's not fit then there's an opening.  Feel free to tell me I'm talking absolute shite though.

I suppose we did flirt with the idea of playing Bannigan further forward prior to his injury but I thought he was wasted somewhat there. 

I didn't consider a 4-3-3 but maybe it would make sense if Erskine isn't fully fit...it's very gung-ho though and thoroughly un-Archie.

Edited by Armand 2

I kind of hoped we'd seen the last of 3 defensive midfielders - how many times did osman, barton and Welsh start as the midfield 3 last season? Might be difficult to tell from line ups as barton will have played in defence a few times. 

But it's either that, 3 at the back, one sits out...  or we're reinventing Adam "Riquelme" Barton as a #10