The Partick Thistle thread

4 minutes ago, archie guevara said:

We only signed him on loan though so I reckon you didn't really go out, you just hid in the garden shed for three hours.

No I went to Subway for lunch, afterwards I went to JD Sport then I dropped off some suitcases at my Gran's house then went up to the Thistle shop in Port Dundas to get the new home kit. That's where I went! :angel

Off recent memory, it was only really Ziggy that Accies fans were not happy about us signing and Ziggy was fairly meh

Devine, Spittal, Erskine, Barton all signed with their former fans slating them etc and have done well

On the flipside, when we didn't want to lose the likes of Higgy, Balatoni, Erskine, Paton (to a lesser extent), ATS, SOD didn't do too great. Fox + Frans have done decent and Paton has done alright but that's it no?

So what we think the line up will be at the weekend? The way I see it there's 3 options to partner devine from keown/Barton/turnbull and either Barton or osman will partner banzo in the sitting 2. I've always thought we were a better side with Abdul playing but Saturday showed he's clearly a good bit away from match fitness

No idea how much of a pre-season Turnbull has had but if he's match fit then I'd think it'll be Turnbull and Devine at the back with Bannigan and Barton in midfield. Keown hasn't played a minute of pre-season / league cup and Osman has had less of a pre-season than the others so they'd be the most likely to miss out. 

Tough to decide the best line up for Hibs game. If another player or more come in later this week, which has been suggested (we all hope it is a striker) then it will be a great problem for management to have. If me, then I would lean toward starting the game with extra body in midfield and ensuring Barton, Banzo and Osman are all playing. The extra muscle in midfield and protection for defense seems sensible. I think at some point in the game to win it you want Spittal, Erskine, Lawless and Dools on the park together but you also want to walk away with the win or a good battling performance and at bare minimum a point in your opening fixture. It is only going to get harder as our first 6 fixtures are tough.

To make top 6 we need to take points off Hibs, St Johnstone, Dundee, Hearts etc.

Thinking about Saturday's potential starting line up emphasises that with the couple of additions we have made and Banzo coming back, Archie now has real selection problems in a positive way.

Doolan or Nisbet? [emoji57]

2 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

No idea how much of a pre-season Turnbull has had but if he's match fit then I'd think it'll be Turnbull and Devine at the back with Bannigan and Barton in midfield. Keown hasn't played a minute of pre-season / league cup and Osman has had less of a pre-season than the others so they'd be the most likely to miss out. 

Right now I think our best, sufficiently fit, starting XI is:

Cerny

Elliott Devine Turnbull Booth

Barton Bannigan

Spittal Erskine Lawless

Doolan

It was blatantly clear on Saturday Osman isn't fit, and for that matter Booth, but there's not much can be done about the latter with the current squad composition. Heard Erskine didn't train today either.

5 hours ago, Hammer Jag said:

So horny for totally not bothered English diddy fans.

It's great. All the "tinpot club", "my nan could play in that league" chat.

Coming from a club who haven't finished in the top six of any league in something like 50 years, and are now playing in the fourth tier.

Edited by Nightmare

My complete indifference to non-top flight English football other than George Moncur means I've never heard of this guy but like everyone else loving the Coventry fans reaction. I think the Scottish Premiership, other than Celtic and Aberdeen, its as a middle ground between the English League One and Two, in the way that Martin Hardie needed his own league. If he can perform as the Swindon fans suggest I don't believe there's reason for him not to do well here.

15 hours ago, cilitbang said:

Off recent memory, it was only really Ziggy that Accies fans were not happy about us signing and Ziggy was fairly meh

Devine, Spittal, Erskine, Barton all signed with their former fans slating them etc and have done well

On the flipside, when we didn't want to lose the likes of Higgy, Balatoni, Erskine, Paton (to a lesser extent), ATS, SOD didn't do too great. Fox + Frans have done decent and Paton has done alright but that's it no?

Pompey fans I know really liked him but knew their manager was using him completely wrong in a system that didn't suit him, so were  happy to see him go to a club that could use him properly.

12 hours ago, Nightmare said:

It's great. All the "tinpot club", "my nan could play in that league" chat.

Coming from a club who haven't finished in the top six of any league in something like 50 years, and are now playing in the fourth tier.

Just had a quick look at the Cov forums, some seriously butthurt scallies finding out where they now rank in the footballing world.