The Partick Thistle thread

Saturday was another massively disappointing defeat. I've not felt as bad immediately after a defeat as I did on Saturday. 

If you were to take it in isolation I think you could file it under 'shit happens'. It wasn't a result of sitting too deep or a lack of fitness. Two poor sides were looking for a winner late on and Hamilton happened to take the chance that came their way. Shit happens. 

The fact that we have lost so many late goals though makes it hard to treat in isolation. 

Personally I think the more focus is placed on it the greater the anxiety it will happen again becomes and, therefore, it happens again. It's almost a self fulling prophecy. We lose late goals. We worry about losing late goals and then we lose another late goal. And then repeat. IMO it is a mental failing rather than a physical failing. 

Re the manager. I feel at times as if people are rewriting our recent history. He has been an excellent manager for us. Until this season he has improved our standing season upon season. We've not had any reason to hire an open topped bus but his achievements stand comparison with every manager we've had since Davie McParland and surpass all those with the possible exception of John Lambie. 

To progress a club the size of ours season after season is incredibly difficult and gets harder with each passing season. 

We've certainly stalled this season. Injuries were a mitigating factor in the first half of the season but that isn't a factor now and I do think that overall we have under performed. 

His previous record, IMO, earns the manager the right to try and get us out of this position. There have been individually disappointing results and our cup record is deplorable but no season thus far under Alan Archibald can be labelled a failure. 

I would expect that come the end of the season that the Club would review how the club has performed on and off the pitch over the course of the season. I would hope that would be done as a matter of course after each and every season successful or otherwise. 

I think there will be a fairly large turnover of players this summer regardless of where we finish given the number of out of contract players and the squad performance. If we go down that may well include the manager but agree with those who have said he's earned the right to see out the season. 

Also, Paul Paton is shite. 

Please no Paul Paton. I agree. Folks need to chill out with these ex player ars*holes returning comments.

In all my frustration with Archie & his inability to stop the team from giving up late goals I think he has earned the right to get us out of this. I also think if we go down he has earned the right to have another crack at getting us back up first time of asking. I go back to the Sean Dyche analogy. It’s served Burnley well being loyal and whilst we don’t have the riches of these teams south of the border I do think Archie has the experience now no matter what happens to turn us around whether we stay up or go down. I’m not sure sacking him would be the smart move.

I would also like to ask why is Barton out the side and not playing at the back? With him there we’ve picked up several wins Post new year. Have Archie and Bart’s fallen out? I just find it strange that a player who was last years POTY and steadies the defense as a very good sweeper, clearly makes us better is now left on the bench.

My hope is he’s back in the backline versus County and we can get that much needed win.

Paul Paton seems to have labelled an arsehole by a lot of people who have never spent time in his company. I on the other hand, have been in his presence a couple of times, albeit briefly, and was surprised to find that he was in fact a complete and utter arsehole.

He's just an angry wee ned, really. Not a very good footballer either.

I can see the argument that someone like him might be a benefit to our team at this time, though. Someone who can scrap, put people in their place and maybe help us see a game out.

Edited by Nightmare

Paul Paton actually won over a lot of doubters when at Saints. He's not a brilliant footballer by any means but he always gave 100% and he was also far from being a complete arsehole when I've spoken to him.
Sign him up lads. 

^^^
Tree house Paul.