The Partick Thistle thread

Is James Craigen really a quality player or is the fact he's a nice guy make people think he's far better than he actually he is?

He's tidy enough and OK at everything bar goalscoring without being spectacular at much.

I think he's good enough at Championship level, would have been surprised if another Premiership club had picked him up, although with him being English I did wonder if he'd go there at some level.

Nice guy thing is probably true though - see also Balatoni.

Is James Craigen really a quality player or is the fact he's a nice guy make people think he's far better than he actually he is?

He's tidy enough and OK at everything bar goalscoring without being spectacular at much.

The nice guy thing might play a part, but is there really any doubt that he's good enough for Raith in the Championship?

Hope he does well for them.

A lot of Craigen's best work comes off the ball, I'm not sure that's as big a factor for a top half first division team as it was for us. He reads the game well, gets into good positions and is more two footed than most, but his technical ability can let him down at times and he doesn't score enough goals considering how well he reads the game. He's improved a huge amount since he joined us though and hopefully starting every week at Raith will be good for him. You will likely have players with better technical ability than he does, but I doubt you'll have any that will work as hard. That's not to say he's a water carrier, his technical ability is ok just a bit behind the rest of his game. As I say he's improved a lot with us so if his technique catches up with the rest of his game you will have a terrific player on your hands. He will be frustrating at times though, just to be warned.

I used to entertain this notion that every time Thistle went into the top flight of Scottish football, the money went out of it. Not cause and effect, just a coincidence.

The latest example was the league taking yonks to find a sponsor while spending most of its time pulling clagnuts out of its arse and attempting to convince everyone a club/company formed in 2012 was 140 years old.

So, we've just signed James Craigen. Any good?

Yes, he will be perfect for you. He is a top pro, good head on his shoulders and works extremely hard. He'll not let you down. He lacks pace, isn't the most skilful but makes up for it with a cool head and physical ability. He is a very good championship player.

All the best to Craigen. I hope he does well at RR.

I thought he was a bit wasted in the centre of midfield where some SPL games passed him by but he was good in the First division.

A combination of appalling fixtures contributed greatly to our low overall attendance last season. Given that that won't be repeated and our numbers will be significantly increased, could someone explain why Motherwell and Kilmarnock have significantly more money than we do.

They have about twice the gates. We get 3-5K a home game and they get 6-9k. This is one reason but one of the fairly more significant ones. Twice the money coming in to the club. They don't have to pay that much more, but as I said earlier on a post a 100-200 sheets a week can make the difference.

Yes, he will be perfect for you. He is a top pro, good head on his shoulders and works extremely hard. He'll not let you down. He lacks pace, isn't the most skilful but makes up for it with a cool head and physical ability. He is a very good championship player.

Not skilful? Physical? What player have you been watching?

Not Craigen anyway.

They have about twice the gates. We get 3-5K a home game and they get 6-9k. This is one reason but one of the fairly more significant ones. Twice the money coming in to the club. They don't have to pay that much more, but as I said earlier on a post a 100-200 sheets a week can make the difference.

That's not entirely accurate...

Celtic FC 44.585

Aberdeen FC 13.359

Dundee United FC 8.113

Dundee FC 6.966

St. Johnstone FC 4.592

Motherwell FC 4.286

Kilmarnock FC 4.076

St. Mirren FC 3.869

Partick Thistle FC 3.777

Inverness Caledonian Thistle FC 3.733

Ross County FC 3.525

Hamilton Academical FC 2.877

Edited by scottymagoo

Strip launch in George Square #thistlesquare on Tuesday. Article on OS is a bit cringey but suppose we might as well cash in on the Kingsley publicity.

Glad that the club are trying different things. You're bound to gain more publicity from an 'event' in town. Might as well use Kingsley whilst he's still a big thing in the media as well, even if it is a bit cringey

I'd love to see Jimmy do well at Raith, but I hope he's not going to be expected to run the midfield there, because that's not his game. He's a worker with a nice range of passing, but needs quality around him or he'll be wasted. Kind of like a (far) lesser James Milner.