The Partick Thistle thread

I thought he was off to Burton Albion. I hope he fucks his knees on that Killie pitch.

As people have said previously, out with a 4 month spell he was pretty gash.

He's far better than McDaid though.

Is there a reason that Thistle seem to be losing quite a few of their best players to teams that finished around you in the league? Fox and Higginbotham, also SOD away to arguably a lower level. Is it just money?

Is there a reason that Thistle seem to be losing quite a few of their best players to teams that finished around you in the league? Fox and Higginbotham, also SOD away to arguably a lower level. Is it just money?

Yep, also length of contract. Only Elliott that we've signed or re-signed has been given a 2 year deal and I can't imagine he's one of our higher earners.

Next close season could be worse (if we stay up) as pretty much our entire team bar Fraser and Elliott are out of contract in summer 2016.

Yep, also length of contract. Only Elliott that we've signed or re-signed has been given a 2 year deal and I can't imagine he's one of our higher earners.

Next close season could be worse (if we stay up) as pretty much our entire team bar Fraser and Elliott are out of contract in summer 2016.

By then we will have made a fortune on Kingsley licensed products. We will be the most famous Scottish team in the world.

O'Donnell will be making considerably more than we could have offered at Luton, and also potentially setting himself up for a move up the leagues. It was a surprise to see him drop to such a low level but he'll be above that in the near future. Fox and Higginbotham are different, I suspect they just thought they were more valuable to the club than Archie and the board thought they were. We've had a pretty solid record in the last couple of years of recruiting from England, and I guess the view was that for what Higginbotham wanted we could do better in the English market. I think with Fox we're being prudent with the offers we make and viewed him as a replaceable part of the team (as is Higginbotham) and weren't prepared to significantly up his wages on the basis of his performances since the last contract was signed.

As I say it seems like they're being pretty careful with their money and looking for good value, I suspect they didn't see it in either Higginbotham or Fox's demands. O'Donnell is a different story, he's too good for us and I suspect nothing we could have offered him would have convinced him to stay. We'll need to wait and see who we bring in before we decide whether it's been a good strategy or not, Cerny is a decent start. I also think they are looking for a few of the younger guys to step up in the forthcoming season and contribute as serious squad players.

No one was really arsed about Fox leaving though and he wasn't going to get regular first team football with us. Cerny is a step up.

SOD was always wanting to go down south. It's not the most obviously attractive club but you'd imagine Luton will be wanting to get back to where the were 5-10 years.

We obviously weren't going to break the bank for Higgy. He's an excellent player on his day but that's only 25% of the time. Taylor, Lawless and Osman were the 3 priorities to get signed up beyond last season (SOD was always going) - Higgy wasn't even close to being in that 3.

Would imagine money has a fair amount to do with it. Think Killie can probably give Higgy a better deal (wages and length of contract) than we could. Luton got an average attendance of almost 9000 last year so are clearly a bigger club even if they are playing at a lower level just now, maybe SOD sees it as an opportunity to join a club which could be going places. And obviously Fox had his international career to think about.

Even still, we've replaced Fox with a superior player in Cerny, if the Halliday rumour is true then we'll have done likewise with Higginbotham. I have my doubts we'll be able to replace SOD with anyone better but as long as we get someone decent in then I'll be happy enough. I trust Archie's ability in making transfers as almost all his signings (minus some obvious exceptions like Baird or Kerr) have improved the squad.

I agree but think that McDaid is also under contract until 2017.

ETA - any news on Balatoni?

Edited by Bishop Briggs

SOD may have made a clever move as Luton is an ambitious club with plans for a new stadium. Their home gates were 8-9k last season so they can pay more than most SPL clubs. They have strengthened by signing Potts from West Ham and McGeechan from Norwich (a six figure fee!). Potts played a few games for West Ham's first-team. Poor home form this year cost Luton a play-off place. Having strengthened, so they should challenge for promotion this season.