The Partick Thistle thread

Still think too much being made of the we are skint stuff.Was quietly impressed by the AA interview. May well buy my ST now. There's a world of difference between a team trying to compete and a board ripping the p***

Just admit you made a bit of a c**t of it before by manning the panic stations and we can move on like nothing ever happened.

Aye, but I was hoping they'd swap.

He'll be supplying the amoo for our striker.

True - think that'll be Amoo-t point if he plays as a striker himself though.

edit: away from shite puns - Jake Carroll played pretty well in the cup game against St Mirren, iirc, but was completely dire in every appearance for us apart from that.

No idea what this young guy signed from Cardiff is like. Can see Amoo becoming something of a cult hero - if he's as good as those highlights make him look I can see him punishing some of the league's shitier fullbacks.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

re: Taylor, given Archie's comments about waiting on Scunthorpe, seems either Maxi's comment in the e-mail about an option to buy at a pre-agreed fee was nonsense, we're trying to get away with paying less as Scunthorpe have about 8 strikers and will just want him off the wage bill, or Archie is just managing expectations.

Hoping it's the last of those.

I'd heard on Taylor that it wasn't just the fee that was proving to be a struggle, but also his wages. No idea if he'll sign though.

In one sense it might be better to focus on someone else because I don't think Taylor sees his long term future with us, and this "will he, won't he" saga might run on every six months or so. He is a handful though.

I'd heard on Taylor that it wasn't just the fee that was proving to be a struggle, but also his wages. No idea if he'll sign though.

In one sense it might be better to focus on someone else because I don't think Taylor sees his long term future with us, and this "will he, won't he" saga might run on every six months or so. He is a handful though.

I don't see that as being a problem though. I'm fine with him not seeing his long term future with us if he gives us 20 goals next season and then moves on. The stumbling block will be the wages though - presumably he'll be taking a cut to join us if he does.

Apparently Dave Amoo has been briefed on the game up here by Nate Dawg Ecclestone, Alex Cooper, Lee Miller, Nacho Novo and Davie Irons going by the interviews I've seen.

I'm surprised he signed tbh :(

Edited by Callum Booth

Apparently Dave Amoo has been briefed on the game up here by Nate Dawg Ecclestone, Alex Cooper, Lee Miller, Nacho Novo and Davie Irons going by the interviews I've seen.

I'm surprised he signed tbh :(

Maybe he sees us as a stepping stone to bigger things. Like Kilmarnock.

Taylor is never going to score 20 goals for us. He's a very good player at our level but his lack of composure in front of goal means he'd struggle to make it at a higher level (e.g. Scunthorpe). Not sure I'd be happy with us stretching our wage structure to accommodate him, I don't think he can justify earning more than our other top earners (whoever they may be).

I agree with the above - he's fast and strong, good at working channels and holding the ball up. However his finishing is pretty poor on the whole. I'd be very happy if we got him but I'd be surprised if there weren't other good options out there, and equally surprised if Archie hadn't already identified / contacted a few of them.

Taylor is never going to score 20 goals for us. He's a very good player at our level but his lack of composure in front of goal means he'd struggle to make it at a higher level (e.g. Scunthorpe). Not sure I'd be happy with us stretching our wage structure to accommodate him, I don't think he can justify earning more than our other top earners (whoever they may be).

I agree with the above - he's fast and strong, good at working channels and holding the ball up. However his finishing is pretty poor on the whole. I'd be very happy if we got him but I'd be surprised if there weren't other good options out there, and equally surprised if Archie hadn't already identified / contacted a few of them.

Actually, you're both right. His finishing is his worst attribute. When he re-joined us, we put up a video of all his goals from his first spell. Pretty much every one of them was him booting it as hard as he could, to the point where the keeper couldn't really react in time. The ones where he didn't hit as hard still ended up close to the keeper, and saved.

The 20-goal-a-season claim was probably a bit cliche. I will admit, he isn't that kind of player. He still looks like he absolutely terrorises defenders though, and for that alone I'd love to keep him. He brings everyone else into the game, even if he isn't scoring himself.

But I wouldn't break our wage structure for him, unless we're struggling to find anyone as good as him.

He still looks like he absolutely terrorises defenders though, and for that alone I'd love to keep him. He brings everyone else into the game, even if he isn't scoring himself.

Totally agree with this. If Amoo is as fast as it's claimed and with Lawless able to twist and turn his way into great positions, then Taylor would give us an excellent diverse attacking force.