New Scottish Parliament

I'm all for banning elected representatives from consultancy/advisory jobs, but as doulikefish has alluded to, Phillipa Whitford.

Is it wrong that she stands in for the NHS when they have a shortage of surgeons?

If it so important I'm sure she would do it without payment. The thing is there will be folk who will use the most extreme examples to argue against what is an eminently sensing inlet idea.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why am I not surprised you are championing this. An MSP earns significantly more than the national average wage. If people earning more than this genuinely want to become elected representatives in our democracy it's a small price to pay. If they don't it's no huge loss.

If it's so important let them do it unpaid. Then we will see just how important it is for them.

I couldn't care less if they earn significantly more than the national average wage. Being an MSP is a significantly more than average job.

Legislators in the UK are significantly underpaid compared to the rest of Western Europe. They should be paid a lot more than they are at the moment.

I think it's ridiculous to expect people to do bona fides actual work for which anyone else would be paid a salary for free just because they're also an MSP. I'm not even remotely interested in taking you seriously on this unless you are also advocating that government ministers should not be paid a penny more than ordinary MSPs. Do you?

If it so important I'm sure she would do it without payment. The thing is there will be folk who will use the most extreme examples to argue against what is an eminently sensing inlet idea.

No this is nonsense. They are talented and skilled people who provide valuable services towards the public good. They should not be expected to do this for nothing just because they're an MSP.

I couldn't care less if they earn significantly more than the national average wage. Being an MSP is a significantly more than average job.

Legislators in the UK are significantly underpaid compared to the rest of Western Europe. They should be paid a lot more than they are at the moment.

I think it's ridiculous to expect people to do bona fides actual work for which anyone else would be paid a salary for free just because they're also an MSP. I'm not even remotely interested in taking you seriously on this unless you are also advocating that government ministers should not be paid a penny more than ordinary MSPs. Do you?

No this is nonsense. They are talented and skilled people who provide valuable services towards the public good. They should not be expected to do this for nothing just because they're an MSP.

If this is you not taking another poster seriously, how many paragraphs/posts/hours do you dedicate to those you do take seriously?

FWIW I see being a government minister as being an extension and an integral part of being an MSP or MP. I have no problem someone being paid more for that added responsibility.

Clearly it is the people bringing up real-world anecdotes who are living in the clouds here, and not the people pishing themselves with fear over fabricated tabloid scandals.

If this is you not taking another poster seriously, how many paragraphs/posts/hours do you dedicate to those you do take seriously?

FWIW I see being a government minister as being an extension and an integral part of being an MSP or MP. I have no problem someone being paid more for that added responsibility.

It's clearly not an extension. The purpose of being an MSP is to legislate and to represent your constituents. The purpose of a Minister is to lead administration policy decisions and to represent the government. If anything it is a direct conflict of interest in the way that many jobs outside of Parliament are not.

Johan lamont in the running for presiding officer.

Could she be relied upon to play fair?

Can any of them really? Last time when the SNP had a full majority they were happy enough to provide the referee to get the good end of the stick. This time with every vote being absolutely key in the hung parliament, no side will really want to give up an MSP.

I'd like to see Labour provide the speaker on this occasion because they've never done it so far. It was a Lib Dem in the first parliament, then SNP, then Alex Fergusson of the Tories then SNP again. Time for Labour to take the hit. Also wouldn't mind seeing Alison Johnstone or Mark Ruskell from the Greens being one of the deputy presiding officers.

Johan lamont in the running for presiding officer.

Could she be relied upon to play fair?

No. She's an embittered tribal fool. On top of that, I can barely understand her mumbling at the best of times. A presiding officer who thinks we're not genetically programmed to make political decisions would be amusing though. 😉

ROFL.

Oh aye a surgeon is going to quite happily open you up and perform a risky surgery, risking his reputation if things go wrong for example FOR FREE.

You have to be taking the fucking piss with this LOL.

If a surgeon wants to carry out operations they should remain a surgeon. If they want to stand for elected office they should be willing to accept they will no longer be carrying out operations.

You strike me as being of low intelligence and poorly educated.

Fortunately you will never be deciding such things.

Under your tutelage the government would be stuffed with underachievers.

Says the guy who has never achieved anything.

And probably never will.

If a surgeon wants to carry out operations they should remain a surgeon. If they want to stand for elected office they should be willing to accept they will no longer be carrying out operations.

You strike me as being of low intelligence and poorly educated.

You at times make some good point elsewhere in the forum but on this you're flat out wrong and to coin a phrase come across as a 'seething mess'.

We want our Msp's/Mp's to be of the highest quality. If we make people choose in the way you suggest it would gravely effect the quality of politician in our country. Beside's that the Msp's/Mp's who I've come across who have 2nd jobs do it in their own personal time and in no way effects their parliamentary or constituency duties. There is absolutely no reason why they shouldn't be allowed to do a minimal amount of work on the side in their own time and that is what we're talking about here.

You at times make some good point elsewhere in the forum but on this you're flat out wrong and to coin a phrase come across as a 'seething mess'.

We want our Msp's/Mp's to be of the highest quality. If we make people choose in the way you suggest it would gravely effect the quality of politician in our country. Beside's that the Msp's/Mp's who I've come across who have 2nd jobs do it in their own personal time and in no way effects their parliamentary or constituency duties. There is absolutely no reason why they shouldn't be allowed to do a minimal amount of work on the side in their own time and that is what we're talking about here.

What a very strange post:

1. It's not a matter of right and wrong, it's a matter of opinion.

2. There's none of my posts on this subject that could be described as 'seething'.

3. You then say MSPs and MPs should be allowed to do 'a minimal amount of work on the side' which strongly suggests that there should be restrictions.

I do not believe for one second that excluding elected members from holding other paid employment would impact upon the quality of candidates willing to stand.

What a very strange post:

1. It's not a matter of right and wrong, it's a matter of opinion.

2. There's none of my posts on this subject that could be described as 'seething'.

3. You then say MSPs and MPs should be allowed to do 'a minimal amount of work on the side' which strongly suggests that there should be restrictions.

I do not believe for one second that excluding elected members from holding other paid employment would impact upon the quality of candidates willing to stand.

1. It is my opinion that you're wrong. That opinion is also held by the people who govern the country.

2. You resorted to a personal attack over the Internet of another person who you've never met. That seems pretty seething to me. (I will concede on this point that Oaksoft probably deserve's it with his inane rambling's).

3. No, what I said was that in practice what we're talking about is a minimal amount of work done in their own time. Also you never mentioned restrictions, you have called for an all out ban.

Unfortunately you're back tracking because you have realised you are talking shite. It's ok to admit you're wrong, no-one will think any less of you.

Archived