New Scottish Parliament

Thought it would be useful to have a thread taking about policies from this point on.

I'm very much in favour of this, however it would be very hypocritical of Labour if they push this in Holyrood but not Westminster.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2016-scotland-36238232

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What advantage do the opposition derive from the independent referee not being from the SNP?

As with most parliaments, the referee has to give up political influence and can only vote to break a tie. Even then, there are conventions on how they should vote. In general they're expected to vote down bills at final reading or vote for them in first readings (either way encouraging further debate)

"And it isn't for any single MSP or party - certainly not those who lost the election by a country mile - to try and dictate terms.

"The SNP government will seek to work with all parties to find consensus wherever possible, if it is in the interests of the people of Scotland.

"At the same time, Ruth Davidson and Labour need to respect the verdict of voters across Scotland, who have handed the SNP an overwhelming

victory at this election and with it a clear mandate from the public to deliver on our manifesto commitments."

I like it :thumsup2

The second job ban would be ridiculous.

That must be your shortest post in a while.

I've not read the details but I'd be in favour of a ban on any second job that paid in any way. If MSPs want to carry out any unpaid work out with their 'day job' they can. Though I'd rather they devoted their time to being elected representatives.

No it's a terrible idea to ban second jobs.

Asides anything else, every single government Minister has a second job, making it a ridiculous double standard.

We need diversity and experience in the Parliament and that means allowing people to keep their hand in the work they've done before. Plenty people will be in positions which are if anything complementary to their jobs as MSPs.

There can be a reasonable discussion about banning lobbying/consultancy-style second jobs, but I think it's mad that you'd ban, say, a doctor, an academic or a lawyer, from doing one or two days a week at their old job or covering a colleague for modest payment. This ban would also presumably force entrepreneurs to cease to run their own businesses, shafting people like Tommy Sheppard.

The alternative to this is that we significantly discourage people in established professions, especially those with young families and an appreciation of the challenges associated with that, from entering Parliament, typically taking a substantial pay-cut in the process. The alternative ways these people will find to pay their way are actually ones the progressive left should consider less desirable. It means people will make additional income through things like buy-to-let landlording.

No it's a terrible idea to ban second jobs.

Asides anything else, every single government Minister has a second job, making it a ridiculous double standard.

We need diversity and experience in the Parliament and that means allowing people to keep their hand in the work they've done before. Plenty people will be in positions which are if anything complementary to their jobs as MSPs.

There can be a reasonable discussion about banning lobbying/consultancy-style second jobs, but I think it's mad that you'd ban, say, a doctor, an academic or a lawyer, from doing one or two days a week at their old job or covering a colleague for modest payment. This ban would also presumably force entrepreneurs to cease to run their own businesses, shafting people like Tommy Sheppard.

The alternative to this is that we significantly discourage people in established professions, especially those with young families and an appreciation of the challenges associated with that, from entering Parliament, typically taking a substantial pay-cut in the process. The alternative ways these people will find to pay their way are actually ones the progressive left should consider less desirable. It means people will make additional income through things like buy-to-let landlording.

Why am I not surprised you are championing this. An MSP earns significantly more than the national average wage. If people earning more than this genuinely want to become elected representatives in our democracy it's a small price to pay. If they don't it's no huge loss.

If it's so important let them do it unpaid. Then we will see just how important it is for them.

Doctor will get mentioned a lot on this thread

Quite. It would be nice to get a response to that from the people who think "highly-paid second jobs" are a pressing issue for Parliament.

"And it isn't for any single MSP or party - certainly not those who lost the election by a country mile - to try and dictate terms.

"The SNP government will seek to work with all parties to find consensus wherever possible, if it is in the interests of the people of Scotland.

"At the same time, Ruth Davidson and Labour need to respect the verdict of voters across Scotland, who have handed the SNP an overwhelming

victory at this election and with it a clear mandate from the public to deliver on our manifesto commitments."

Interesting! A clear mandate to run a minority government reliant on the support of a party that secured just 13,000 Constituency Votes? Let's wait and see who exactly will 'dictate terms' !!

Interesting! A clear mandate to run a minority government reliant on the support of a party that secured just 13,000 Constituency Votes? Let's wait and see who exactly will 'dictate terms' !!

It won't be reliant on the support of one party though.

Why am I not surprised you are championing this. An MSP earns significantly more than the national average wage. If people earning more than this genuinely want to become elected representatives in our democracy it's a small price to pay. If they don't it's no huge loss.

If it's so important let them do it unpaid. Then we will see just how important it is for them.

I'm all for banning elected representatives from consultancy/advisory jobs, but as doulikefish has alluded to, Phillipa Whitford.

Is it wrong that she stands in for the NHS when they have a shortage of surgeons?

Elaine Smith being talked about as a Presiding Officer?

IIRC Labour have never provided a referee so it seems like their turn. I'd personally choose Douglas Ross because he knows a thing or two about refereeing

Its pretty obvious who will "dictate terms"

Heres a clue it aint someone called ruth

C'mon Rob you're just shit stirring for the sake of it.

These quotes I show are the truth and ye cannae deny them.

And remember it was the UK parliament with the inbuilt English majority that decided the make-up of the Scottish parliament.

It's just a pity they didnae make the same arrangements for Westminster - warts and all :thumsup2

I think you will find that Labour and the Lib Dems will be fighting each other off to be the SNPs BFFs. They now both know what happens when you campaign and govern with Tories.

They have already told Ruth to shut it and sit down this weekend.

The 20%ers will be left stamping their feet as Scotland moves forward.

Archived