I've had it with Scottish Football

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair, nobody would have said Leicester winning the English League was possible 12 months ago either. Isn't that kind of why it's such a big deal?

Exactly.  There was absolutely no chance of Leicester winning the Premier League.  Until they did. 

There's going to be absolutely no chance for anyone other than the cheeks to win the Premiership.  Until they do.  It's certainly possible.

But aye, because Thistle are very, very unlikely to ever win the league, and because Leicester did, I should totally just throw a strop and "resign".  Jesus wept.

This is basically an attempt to convince himself that he's not doing anything wrong if he decides to glory hunt with Man City full time from now on.

Been watching City since the 70's and was a regular at Maine Road when I first moved down here. Doubt whether that would qualify as gloryhunting.

Been watching City since the 70's and was a regular at Maine Road when I first moved down here. Doubt whether that would qualify as gloryhunting.

I was hoping for the sake of your sanity and reputation when I'd seen you'd posted again it would be to claim it was all a fishing trip.

Please immediately edit the thread title to add a "srs" to it so we can point and laugh at you even more.

Being pissed off over "media joy" about Rangers? Not exactly a â€‹seismic change in Scottish Football that one....

Leicester winning the english league, personally couldn't give a toss but any comparison between the EPL and our league is utterly self defeating as they have literally nothing in common. The EPL was specifically created in order to concentrate the wealth amongst as few clubs as possible (in common with the Champions League) and Leicester winning it doesn't really detract from that when you see the list of winners since it's inception...so I see no moral high ground on their part.

I'm looking forward to next season less as a result of Rangers being "back" - but I can't see the point of a 'Well fan (albeit an exiled one) chucking in the towel at this point - things have been far worse in the past....

Exactly.  There was absolutely no chance of Leicester winning the Premier League.  Until they did. 

There's going to be absolutely no chance for anyone other than the cheeks to win the Premiership.  Until they do.  It's certainly possible.

But aye, because Thistle are very, very unlikely to ever win the league, and because Leicester did, I should totally just throw a strop and "resign".  Jesus wept.

Fair point, but I've been watching Scottish Football since the 60's when Dundee and Kilmarnock were winning titles, Celtic might have dominated the latter part of that decade but our clubs were still strong in Europe. Even the 70's we still had competition. In the 80's it was all about the Done and Dundee Utd. I would even look at the '90's with a kindly light, Motherwell and Aberdeen chased Rangers all the way for a few seasons. Now though? A two-horse race became a one-horse canter for a couple of seasons and now the two-horse race is back. The possibility of any club in Scotland doing what Leicester did, does not exist. That's the point, I have always managed to convince myself that there was a chance for Scottish Football, watching it through rose tinted specs. The truth is it's a two team league and that's how it will stay.

If you are happy with that, wire in.

Two things happened recently which caused a wee seismic shift in my thoughts.

Firstly, the unmitigated joy of all sections of the media at Rangers being promoted.

At that point I realised that for the media, the SFA, and the SPFL, Scottish Football was indeed only about two teams.

In fairness I had always known that was the case deep down, it just became more blatant.

Secondly, Lecester City winning the EPL.

I could not think of any circumstances where that could happen in Scottish Football, none.

It was this that depressed me most.

It's something that could never happen in Scotland, the SPFL and the SFA believe we need Celtic and Rangers at the top of our game.

As I support neither of these clubs it is fairly obvious that Scottish Football no longer wants the likes of me

Kincardine calls us diddies, f**k him, I put as much passion into supporting my team as he, or any Old Firm fan, does.

I didn’t realise that the last time I saw Motherwell play would be the last time I saw Motherwell play.

So while I will still follow Motherwell's fortunes I wont be paying any money into a corrupt competititon.

I wont be back.

You won't be missed

Fair point, but I've been watching Scottish Football since the 60's when Dundee and Kilmarnock were winning titles, Celtic might have dominated the latter part of that decade but our clubs were still strong in Europe. Even the 70's we still had competition. In the 80's it was all about the Done and Dundee Utd. I would even look at the '90's with a kindly light, Motherwell and Aberdeen chased Rangers all the way for a few seasons. Now though? A two-horse race became a one-horse canter for a couple of seasons and now the two-horse race is back. The possibility of any club in Scotland doing what Leicester did, does not exist. That's the point, I have always managed to convince myself that there was a chance for Scottish Football, watching it through rose tinted specs. The truth is it's a two team league and that's how it will stay. If you are happy with that, wire in.

Fair point.  Since I was born I've seen the English leagues become the bloated license to print money that it is now.  I've seen six clubs win all but two of the twenty-eight league titles that were available.  I've seen those clubs take a strange-hold on football in the country - Man United doing it through sheer commercial appeal, Arsenal doing it through having a mix of flair and aggression, Chelsea and Man City being financially doped to the top.

The possibility of any club outside those huge behemoths winning the English league, does not exist.

Oh wait,  haud on.  It's just happened. 

Like others have said, you won't be missed.  I could hook you up with some of the knicker-wetters that sit behind me at Firhill if you do come back though - you'll get on famously talking about how everything is shit nowadays.

Fair point, but I've been watching Scottish Football since the 60's when Dundee and Kilmarnock were winning titles, Celtic might have dominated the latter part of that decade but our clubs were still strong in Europe. Even the 70's we still had competition. In the 80's it was all about the Done and Dundee Utd. I would even look at the '90's with a kindly light, Motherwell and Aberdeen chased Rangers all the way for a few seasons. Now though? A two-horse race became a one-horse canter for a couple of seasons and now the two-horse race is back. The possibility of any club in Scotland doing what Leicester did, does not exist. That's the point, I have always managed to convince myself that there was a chance for Scottish Football, watching it through rose tinted specs. The truth is it's a two team league and that's how it will stay. If you are happy with that, wire in.

So do you believe that fans abandoning Motherwell and leaving them with even less money will make it easier or harder for them to compete for trophies?

So do you believe that fans abandoning Motherwell and leaving them with even less money will make it easier or harder for them to compete for trophies?

From what he's said, he lives down south - so it's a vanity resignation, the equivalent of throwing empty season tickets onto the pitch in protest on the last day of the season  :ph34r:

From what he's said, he lives down south - so it's a vanity resignation, the equivalent of throwing empty season tickets onto the pitch in protest on the last day of the season  :ph34r:

I wonder if they'll retire his seat or mark it with some kind of plaque?

The EPL isn't much more competitive, only Blackburn Rovers and Leicester City have upset the big 4 monopoly, big three until Man City got rich. So 3 or 4 dominant teams in a  20 team league compared to 2 in a 12 team league, and Aberdeen and Hearts have got close to doing a Leicester/Rovers a couple of times.

The EPL isn't much more competitive, only Blackburn Rovers and Leicester City have upset the big 4 monopoly, big three until Man City got rich. So 3 or 4 dominant teams in a  20 team league compared to 2 in a 12 team league, and Aberdeen and Hearts have got close to doing a Leicester/Rovers a couple of times.

And even then, Blackburn had plenty money pumped into them, relative to other clubs at the time. And, really they won it before money moved up another gear as well.

Archived