Derbies next season

I don't dispute the figure for the Ayrshire derby. I just wonder where you get the idea that 25,000 folk wouldn't turn up for a semi final. Especially given how long it's been since we've actually been in one, and the extra novelty on top of that for both sets of supporters.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ayrshire derby comfortably bigger than the Fife and Renfrewshire derbies, 4/6,000 is not comparable to 10,000 I'm afraid.

Edited after taking Morten v Saints crowds into account.

5,343, 4,163, 4.736, 4,299 

Guest Flash

There were over 21000 at a semi final between QoS and Aberdeen that was live on tv with a lunchtime kick off. I think we can reasonably confidently say a Renfrewshire derby would attract 25000.

There were over 24,000 at the QoS Aberdeen semi final.

I actually want to get myself along to a Dundee derby one day. I'd obviously be in the Dundee end? Is it relatively easy to get tickets for them?

Also want to get myself to an Edinburgh derby at some point as well in the Hibs end. But as far as I know, that will be near on impossible to get tickets..

Same here about Dundee. It's on the list I want to get to. Edinburgh I've done and the atmosphere was as good as any derby I've been to (Chelsea v West Ham, Tottenham v Arsenal, Leeds v Man U, Cowden v Dunfermline :) )

As for the muppets saying you have to be geographically close for it to be a derby have a word with yourself. Are you telling me Leeds/Man U or Palace v Brighton aren't derbies with real hatred?

Falkirk/Dunfermline has been thought of as a derby as long as I can remember.

Same here about Dundee. It's on the list I want to get to. Edinburgh I've done and the atmosphere was as good as any derby I've been to (Chelsea v West Ham, Tottenham v Arsenal, Leeds v Man U, Cowden v Dunfermline :) )

As for the muppets saying you have to be geographically close for it to be a derby have a word with yourself. Are you telling me Leeds/Man U or Palace v Brighton aren't derbies with real hatred?

you'll be telling us next that barca v real is a derby.

Rivalry <> derby

Yes they're not derbies just rivalries, there's a difference.

Given that Saint Mirren are a bigger team than Kilmarnock and that Morton are a significantly bigger team than the little people, it logically follows that Renfrewshire derby stomps all over anything that Ayrshire can offer. 

Give a few regular encounters of the latter and they'll be struggling to attract 4,000 in that hilarious white elephant of a ground.

'Significantly bigger' than us aye? A case not particularly helped by the fact that your shithouse of a club were scrapping away in the lowest league that Scottish football has to offer as recently as 2003.

As for the Renfrewshire Derby 'stomping' on the Ayrshire derby, an attendance of 4,299 in an 8,000 seater stadium last month doesn't exactly help your cause, chief.

Back in your box, now.

The problem with the Renfrewshire Derby is the Renfrewshire cup diluted the rivalry quite a bit in my opinion.

If we hadn't played each other for 10 years we would have had at least 1 sell out this season.

Was a bit disappointed Morton didn't even need the over spill section in the West Stand, although they seem to have lost a chunk of their core support over the last decade or so.

The Challenge Cup semi final between us packed out Love Street, the official attendance was about 8k I think but there was no chance there was 2000 empty seats in the stadium that night. I'd like to think we could muster 25k between us for a semi final at Hampden.

I don't think it helped the Renfrewshire derby that both teams were playing for f**k all for most of the season. Dundee derbies when both teams are more or less finished the season can dip under 10,000.

I'm not sure a Renfrewshire derby semi final would attract 25,000 people. There's not a lot between them but I think Ayrshire edges it.

A national cup semi final between St Mirren and Morton would comfortably top 25,000. Both sides would easily draw around 15,000 for such an occasion.

'Significantly bigger' than us aye? 

Absolutely. 

Major trophy wins: Morton 1; Ayr 0

League titles won: Morton 10; Ayr 8

Seasons in the top flight: Morton 52; Ayr 35

Seasons in the seaside leagues: Morton 8; Ayr 14

Higher league finishes since the creation of the four-tier setup: Morton 26; Ayr 14

Average attendance: Morton 2731; Ayr 1297

Morton are significantly bigger and better than your rabble by any credible measure. Stick to trying to outdo your fellow minnows like Airdrie or Clyde, as otherwise you'll only be rewarded with disappointment and utter fail like your effort on here. 

A case not particularly helped by the fact that your shithouse of a club were scrapping away in the lowest league that Scottish football has to offer as recently as 2003.

And yet in that utterly triumphant comeback season, in which the club stormed back to life having been close to going to the wall, we still retained a comfortably larger fanbase than Ayr - who were then approaching the sunset of their illicit, financially doped Bill Barr era in the First Division. 

Average attendance for 2002/03: Morton (Division Three): 2333 Ayr (Division One): 1897

Better luck next time. 

As for the Renfrewshire Derby 'stomping' on the Ayrshire derby, an attendance of 4,299 in an 8,000 seater stadium last month doesn't exactly help your cause, chief.

As I've said, once the novelty value wears off for the Ayrshire equivalent, you'll be drawing far less to the games. Because you're both comfortably smaller clubs; which the facts have really demonstrated beyond all doubt. 

Gutted for you. 

The worst thing about being left in the Seaside League last season was that my knowledge of crowd statistics, league positions, time spent in the top flight and other such vital stats relating to Greenock Morton had dipped to shamefully low levels. I look forward to the grey matter being reinvigorated next season.

Pars v Falkirk excitement levels had dipped a bit in recent times - differing fortunes (eg us gloating at winning the league and them not turning up or us heading to certain defeat under admin). Absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that - sure the first games back against Raith and Falkirk will be very well attended. 

Absolutely. 

Major trophy wins: Morton 1; Ayr 0

League titles won: Morton 10; Ayr 8

Seasons in the top flight: Morton 52; Ayr 35

Seasons in the seaside leagues: Morton 8; Ayr 14

Higher league finishes since the creation of the four-tier setup: Morton 26; Ayr 14

Average attendance: Morton 2731; Ayr 1297

Morton are significantly bigger and better than your rabble by any credible measure. Stick to trying to outdo your fellow minnows like Airdrie or Clyde, as otherwise you'll only be rewarded with disappointment and utter fail like your effort on here. 

And yet in that utterly triumphant comeback season, in which the club stormed back to life having been close to going to the wall, we still retained a comfortably larger fanbase than Ayr - who were then approaching the sunset of their illicit, financially doped Bill Barr era in the First Division. 

Average attendance for 2002/03: Morton (Division Three): 2333 Ayr (Division One): 1897

Better luck next time. 

As I've said, once the novelty value wears off for the Ayrshire equivalent, you'll be drawing far less to the games. Because you're both comfortably smaller clubs; which the facts have really demonstrated beyond all doubt. 

Gutted for you. 

Most of that rather gung-ho, scrambling comeback is of no real relevance when you consider that;

a) No trophies are awarded for 'Less seasons in the seaside league'

b) You include the Third (Lawl) Division title in your list of Honours

c) You believe that average attendance when you are a division above us is in any way comparable for this argument

d) If the fact that you have one more major trophy than us makes you a bigger club, then by that reckoning, Clyde (a club you just labelled a minnow) are a significantly bigger club than Morton, having won the Scottish Cup 3 times.

I have no issue in admitting that Morton are a slightly bigger club than Ayr United, but for you to post on a public forum that you genuinely believe there is a 'significant' difference between the two unfortunately just proves that you are absolutely wired to the moon.

sergie's no1 fan, on 16 May 2016 - 12:22, said:

Was a bit disappointed Morton didn't even need the over spill section in the West Stand, although they seem to have lost a chunk of their core support over the last decade or so.

And that's it on our end. An absolutely massive chunk of that would turn out for a semi final against St. Mirren at Hampden. As well as people who generally don't go to games, and the OF types from the area who go to big games, of which I know a few.

We'd pull a fairly good crowd for it.

Archived