Derbies next season

Can't see anywhere else in posts but

What constitutes a derby ?

I can remember old firm and Edinburgh teams played what radio called inter city derbies .

I've heard Aberdeen v Caley been called a derby

Post above points out re Berwick v queens being classed a derby

Is their a criteria or is it whatever we make up

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Correct. Do you think Queens v Gretna or Queens v Annan would rival the Stranraer derby as they are both closer in distance?

I used to term Queens v Berwick Rangers a derby, even although the distance was extreme. In hindsight, I don't think Berwick would have a derby team, unless you select Annan.

The gretna one felt like a derby and there was a lot of bad feeling at the time because of mileson and the poaching of fans from dumfries ,all the fairytale bullshit etc. Annan is more a friendly type of derby,lots of queens fans will go watch them if we arent playing.

I can remember old firm and Edinburgh teams played what radio called inter city derbies .

With Berwick having no recognised neighbour, I suppose any team from the South of Scotland could be their rivals. Queens hosted a pre season tournament in the early 90s, the Borders Cup and invite Berwick, Stranraer and Carlisle.

On the topic of how many could they take to a cup semi at Hampden (or a bigger ground). St Mirren won in the League Cup final in front of about 40k, I could say both sides could muster roughly 20k each in such a game if it was going to happen. A) it being a very rare occasion - much like Morton playing in Europe, it'd be a once in a lifetime opportunity for many. And B) our supporters have shown they'd turn up for the big games(do you blame them though?). Motherwell a few years back when we sold out the away stand, and about 5k away to thistle in the 'decider' for the championship. The crowds are there, but without the right push from the club, it'll never happen.

I don't dispute the majority of what you said, but 5k at Firhill for the Championship decider? You filled the Main Stand, which holds about 2,400, and then another couple of hundred overspill in the end of the JH Stand. Hardly 5k.

The criteria are whatever you like I suppose.

It should surely involve some geographical proximity, but as we know ourselves, that depends on the geographical isolation or otherwise of the clubs involved - Stranraer isn't exactly next door.

It also has something to do with the size and stature of the clubs, whereby they're in some respects comparable. Again though, this is a loose and variable thing.

I once heard Stranraer vs Berwick referred to on radio as a Derby. I think we can safely say that that's stretching the idea a bit and is really just a reflection of Central Belt ignorance. It's something many of us are familiar with.

You can get to the moon quicker than you can get to Stair Park

And there's more atmosphere.

Yes folks, this is the sort of shit you can expect from me next season. Better get used to it. :(

That's a fair point, I don't know about you, but in recent years our games against Airdrie in 2011/12 felt the most like a derby. I couldn't explain it, there was just a feeling of dislike from both clubs towards each other, and we were both scrapping for the playoff positions.

Paul Lovering probably contributed to that to be fair. He's not mellowed in management either, he's excellent entertainment on the touchline.

Raith v pars ???? Not a derby, your a Muppet mate.

Where did I say it wasn't?! He mentioned six 'derbies' only three of which are derbies. I didn't mention which three. For the record Falkirk v Dunfermline, Morton v Dumbarton and Killie v Stranraer aren't derbies.

The Ayrshire, Renfrewshire and Fife ones are.

Seems you're the muppet mate. I accept the apology in advance.

It's the "Wee Team Complex". Teams like Morton, Ayr, Hibs and Raith all have it, it comes from having a much bigger and successful club so close, making any accomplishment seem pretty rubbish, their existence is only justified by the fact they can claim to be rivals to the aforementioned much bigger, more successful team. 

And there's more atmosphere.

Yes folks, this is the sort of shit you can expect from me next season. Better get used to it. :(

I'm still gobsmacked that DUFC are down. WTAF happened. I really thought you guys were doing well.

It's the "Wee Team Complex". Teams like Morton, Ayr, Hibs and Raith all have it, it comes from having a much bigger and successful club so close, making any accomplishment seem pretty rubbish, their existence is only justified by the fact they can claim to be rivals to the aforementioned much bigger, more successful team.

We've got a live one here. You keep dreaming silly c**t.

Says the supporter of the team who've been slumming it in the seaside league for the past few seasons.

We've had to take up the mantle of big team in Fife, due to Dunfermline being shite.

:lol: I don't think you needed to mention Morton, Ayr or Hibs. There was really only one team you were talking about there eh? :lol:

I'm still gobsmacked that DUFC are down. WTAF happened. I really thought you guys were doing well.

In all seriousness it would have been a travesty of natural justice if we had somehow avoided relegation. Two completely inept managers back-to-back was the reason.

Some folk will blame the chairman, others the players, but the fact we started the season with a terrible manager (yeah that's the chairman's fault) and replaced him with someone who turned out to be equally as bad is the crux.

Anyway I'm going to enjoy this league and this forum. Most of the Arab posters on here are good guys (apparently I'm the exception) and I'm looking forward to finding out who the characters are in the Championship forum.

In all seriousness it would have been a travesty of natural justice if we had somehow avoided relegation. Two completely inept managers back-to-back was the reason.

Some folk will blame the chairman, others the players, but the fact we started the season with a terrible manager (yeah that's the chairman's fault) and replaced him with someone who turned out to be equally as bad is the crux.

Anyway I'm going to enjoy this league and this forum. Most of the Arab posters on here are good guys (apparently I'm the exception) and I'm looking forward to finding out who the characters are in the Championship forum.

Welcome aboard. Got a few friends who are Dundee United supporters.

Derby should be teams from the same city or region and should be ranked on rivalry and similar sizes of clubs. Celtic vs Partick Thistle for example is a derby but it's not a fierce one because of the difference in size of clubs.

Judging by the way Falkirk have collectively as a club, bukkaked all over Hibs leaving Stubbs with such a glazed complexion that he could well have just came fresh from the Great British Bake Off there's a chance they may.

No such fears from Raith.

Archived