Celtic Summer Activity thread

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not 100% convinced that Hayes will add a lot of quality to the team but I think he will be a decent enough signing.  We will see if he ends up being an upgrade on Forrest or not, it depends on which James Forrest turns up, the one we saw in the first half of the season was pretty good but the second half James (and last season James) wasn't.  Hayes is certainly better than GMS though.

13 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

I'm not 100% convinced that Hayes will add a lot of quality to the team but I think he will be a decent enough signing.  We will see if he ends up being an upgrade on Forrest or not, it depends on which James Forrest turns up, the one we saw in the first half of the season was pretty good but the second half James (and last season James) wasn't.  Hayes is certainly better than GMS though.

Hayes will be an upgrade on Forrest. Forrest only seems to look decent when hes surrounded by numerous more dangerous players that take up defenders attentions and leave him 1v1 (half the reason he played so "well" this season, Sinclair/Dembele/Armstrong occupied defenders to the point Forrest only had to outpace one defender and he'd be in behind). Hayes can be double teamed and still be the most influential/dangerous player on the park. Put Forrest in that Aberdeen side and he'd be struggling for starts.

Hayes is a much better player than Mackay-Steven, and he is also a more complete and consistent performer than Forrest. Hayes' work-rate is extremely impressive; I would expect there to be less emphasis on the defensive side of his game when playing for Celtic, but he will seldom abdicate those duties when called upon. He is also capable of playing in a deeper role at left-back or left wing-back, although that can somewhat detract from his attacking strengths. 

Hayes against Premiership defenders without having as many defensive responsibilities to worry about should be an exciting prospect for any Celtic fan. He is arguably the best Dons player I have watched at Pittodrie in my lifetime. 

Just now, DrewDon said:

Hayes is a much better player than Mackay-Steven, and he is also a more complete and consistent performer than Forrest. Hayes' work-rate is extremely impressive; I would expect there to be less emphasis on the defensive side of his game when playing for Celtic, but he will seldom abdicate those duties when called upon. He is also capable of playing in a deeper role at left-back or left wing-back, although that can somewhat detract from his attacking strengths. 

Hayes against Premiership defenders without having as many defensive responsibilities to worry about should be an exciting prospect for any Celtic fan. He is arguably the best Dons player I have watched at Pittodrie in my lifetime. 

His work ethic is one thing that I do think will be his best asset to Celtic.  Rodgers is known to reward hard work (see Boyata) so if he works hard he will probably get more game time than Forrest.  The more I hear about Hayes from Aberdeen fans the more I am liking this signing.  

Even if Hayes is a bit part player being able to bring him on against a tiring defence in Scotland will be invaluable.

He will also be able to play a role in the CL. You give him the job of marshalling a pacy European winger up and down the line and he will do it without argument.

Hayes is not the marquee quality you are looking for but he will absolutely contribute to your team.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Even if Hayes is a bit part player being able to bring him on against a tiring defence in Scotland will be invaluable.

He will also be able to play a role in the CL. You give him the job of marshalling a pacy European winger up and down the line and he will do it without argument.

Hayes is not the marquee quality you are looking for but he will absolutely contribute to your team.

My thoughts exactly.  

Hayes is a decent signing and will bring something to this team.
We could've gone out and bought an unknown with potential 'sell on' value.
Hayes knows the Scottish game well, can make an impact instantly, and deserves a shot in Europe.
BR will get that extra 10% out of him, no doubts.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/celtic-step-up-srdjan-plavsic-10658893

According to the Record (i know, I know) Celtic are interested in 5'5" Red Star Belgrade winger Srdjan Plavsic who has been impressing for Serbia U21's.  He's nicknamed the Atomic Ant and as a fellow short bloke I think this could be a good signing for the future

3 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/celtic-step-up-srdjan-plavsic-10658893

According to the Record (i know, I know) Celtic are interested in 5'5" Red Star Belgrade winger Srdjan Plavsic who has been impressing for Serbia U21's.  He's nicknamed the Atomic Ant and as a fellow short bloke I think this could be a good signing for the future

The daily Mail are running with it as well. His nickname is "The Atomic Ant". :lol:

Seems like a good prospect if Celtic can get him to sign and Celtic have been a good stepping stone for those seeking to get into the over bloated EPL. Probably the biggest selling point to lure players to sign for Celtic after some of the biggest transfer fees ever seen selling to the EPL.

1 hour ago, hellbhoy said:

The daily Mail are running with it as well. His nickname is "The Atomic Ant". :lol:

Seems like a good prospect if Celtic can get him to sign and Celtic have been a good stepping stone for those seeking to get into the over bloated EPL. Probably the biggest selling point to lure players to sign for Celtic after some of the biggest transfer fees ever seen selling to the EPL.

If we can get him for 1.5 M then I think it could be good value for money, especially given that the Man City will probably want at least 10M for Paddy Roberts and Man Utd probably would want 7 or 8 for Adnan Januzaj (who has also been linked).  Even if this lad is not as good as either of those others he still seems like a good prospect.

Just now, senorsoupe said:

If we can get him for 1.5 M then I think it could be good value for money, especially given that the Man City will probably want at least 10M for Paddy Roberts and Man Utd probably would want 7 or 8 for Adnan Januzaj (who has also been linked).  Even if this lad is not as good as either of those others he still seems like a good prospect.

Not too keen on Adnan Januzaj, came with a lot of hype but has failed to deliver.

Celtic should just get the cheque book out and go for Paddy, £10 million? if he helps Celtic reach the group stages it's money well spent and the sell on value if we sell him later should cover that as well if he improves by being a Celtic player.

As for the "Atomic Ant" :lol: Anything lower than £2 million has to be a decent gamble on a young player who has impressed.

31 minutes ago, hellbhoy said:

Not too keen on Adnan Januzaj, came with a lot of hype but has failed to deliver.

Especially not for the money Manure are likely to ask for him.  Would rather Celtic take a punt for 1.5M on The Atomic Ant than spend 7M on Januzaj who hasn't lived up to the hype thus far.  

Paddy Roberts wasn't a regular for the vast amounts of last season. Probably in the minority but id say hes over rated and certainly not indispensable. We could definelty get value if hes going to be priced at silly amounts like 10million.

A new GK, CB, Winger and striker if Dembele is sold please.

Paddy Roberts wasn't a regular for the vast amounts of last season. Probably in the minority but id say hes over rated and certainly not indispensable. We could definelty get value if hes going to be priced at silly amounts like 10million.

A new GK, CB, Winger and striker if Dembele is sold please.

I'm also in the minority, I wouldn't want Celtic paying up to £10m and trying to compete with English clubs in terms of wages for Patrick Roberts.

Just now, Drew Brees said:

I'm also in the minority, I wouldn't want Celtic paying up to £10m and trying to compete with English clubs in terms of wages for Patrick Roberts.

I agree as well.  Would rather we are responsible than trying to compete with the financially doped EPL teams. 10M could get us this Serbian kid, a solid CB, and probably another good forward.  

Archived