Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

The agent's name is Gino.  Definitely a horrendous person.  

Looks like it'll only end one way.  I'm only guessing here, but I'd say the club are holding out for £1m?  Say the offer on the table is £400k-£500k (that would still be considered a huge profit, considering what he was bought for).  I think if the buying and selling clubs were to meet in the middle (through add-ons/clauses etc) then a deal would be reached.  

His agent sounds like a cock.

The club rightly value him highly if he was at, let's say, Oxford and the teams linked with him we calling, you're having a laugh if you don't think they'd be asking for 1mill+.

It's a curious position as both parties ultimately want the same outcome. Motherwell want to sell him, they acknowledged that it's essentially their business plan in their statement yesterday and the player has been sold on the club on the promise that he'd have the chance to move. From the looks of things there's an offer on the table that the player/agent want to take but the offer is short of the club's valuation. Hence the player and agent going public as they feel there's an element of promises being broken.

As blunt and cuntish as the agent is in that statement he makes a fair point. The value of a player is only what another team is willing to pay, we've all said it on here. Motherwell's model as the agent rightly points out is to bring in a player and sell for profit. Everyone is on board with that. The dispute, in so much as it is a dispute, seems to be what is reasonable. If it's the case that Motherwell's valuation was the £1m being quoted in the press but the only concrete offer has been £300k from Oxford then there's clearly a disconnect between the market value and Motherwell's value.

Worth pointing out that the BBC rumours page are quoting the Daily Heil as saying the valuation is £750k rather than the £1m previously being quoted in the media (though never from the club tbf). Either way I'd say he'll be gone by tomorrow the only real question is where he's going, I'd be disappointed if he ends up at Oxford tbh, if he ends up at QPR, Birmingham or Brighton for £750k (or slightly under) + add ons etc then fair fucks the Championship is a decent step up and ultimately that's what MFC are trying to sell players on when they sign on at Fir Park.

The most interesting thing for me is that we usually don't have to deal with all this tiresome agent shite - our best players in recent years have all been on short term deals and so the situation of an agent maneuvering his client out the door with a couple of years on his contract just hasn't arisen. It's a sign that the transfer policy is finally functioning as intended.

I get the argument about market value - but the club and the agent have a role in attempting to manipulate the value of a player in opposite directions - and this is just the agent trying to work the valuation downwards to open up more potential moves for the player and ultimately get more money for himself.

I've been resigned to Marvin leaving this window anyway - how effective his agent is will be all too apparent by the end of tomorrow...

3 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

According to Steelmen, this is all McGhee's fault, I'm genuinely at a loss.

'sake - I'm going to have to go and read that now as I'm interested to see how the impending sale of a guy signed before McGhee took over - who was signed with the express intention of moving him on at a profit when the time was right - is McGhee's fault....

1 minute ago, Swello said:

'sake - I'm going to have to go and read that now as I'm interested to see how the impending sale of a guy signed before McGhee took over - who was signed with the express intention of moving him on at a profit when the time was right - is McGhee's fault....

You might find it if you can dig through pages of debate about how much a taxi driver earns. 

It's nothing like the Hemmings/Stewart deals, but thanks very much for popping in.

Hemmings had a release clause in his contract, and Stewart was in the final year of his.  Johnson is in neither of those positions, so Motherwell are fully entitled to ask for whatever they like, be it £1m, £3m or £10m.  Whether they'll get that kind of money is highly doubtful of course, and I think pretty much everyone has acknowledged that.

Motherwell are trying to get as much as they can for him, and with Johnson/his agent now on their knees begging to go, the aces are held by Motherwell.  We don't need to sell, although it's quite clear we are looking to.  What's the worst that will happen?  We've got an "unhappy" player on our hands?  He'll have to keep on playing to a good level if he wants a move in January.

Anything north of £500k (with hopefully a sell-on clause or potential add-ons) and a deal, I think, would (and should) be done.  

If you were to compare him with someone like Greg Stewart, then the former Dundee man comes off far better in goals, assists and general consistency.  However, it's a refreshing change to see the club standing firm when it comes to other clubs taking our players.  I never have a problem with players moving to bigger and better things, but kudos to the club for making sure it works for all parties.

23 minutes ago, Desp said:

If you were to compare him with someone like Greg Stewart, then the former Dundee man comes off far better in goals, assists and general consistency.  However, it's a refreshing change to see the club standing firm when it comes to other clubs taking our players.  I never have a problem with players moving to bigger and better things, but kudos to the club for making sure it works for all parties.

I think the Stewart comparisons are interesting. I wouldn't knock Stewart at all, as I think he's a cracking player, but for me Marvin would be more suited to Championship football than Stewart is, solely on a physical basis.

Hopefully he ends up there and we get a wedge and I can be proved right or wrong, but certainly my take.