Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I agree on Heneghan - he's looking good this season so far (but I was saying precisely the same thing at this point last season). If it goes through today, it at least avoids the last minute scramble at 10pm on deadline day that I've been dreading and gives us a chance to replace him properly.

39 minutes ago, Mr Hahn said:

Wonder how much we're holding out for here? Personally I would have thought around £250k and a decent sell on % and we'd have sold.

I've actually got mixed feelings about this. For large parts of his Motherwell career I've actually thought he wasn't that great and when the chat of Rangers' interest came in I thought we were laughing. Since then though I've been really impressed with him. I think he's started the season really well along with the machine at the back, Kipre. 

I'm assuming we've been lining up replacements as well if this goes through.

The chat on The Twitter amongst (verified) journalists, as opposed to Agent Scotland or the like seems to be that we're holding out for £500k which is wild.

IMO the only disappointment is that he's leaving just as we seem to have found a defensive set up that suits him where all he really needs to do is head the ball and chuck himself into tackles. As part of a back 4 he's still far from convincing, if you look at that chance Schalk had for County the other week that he put over the bar it's exactly the sort of chance Heneghan was shipping week after week last season.

Good luck to him, the past few weeks have shown that in the right sort of set up he's got something to offer but he's definitely not without his limitations. Then again, in a world where Grant Hanley's just moved for £4m then I hope we get ourselves sorted with a decent sell on % again as it seems anything's possible in that market.

Edited by capt_oats

250K for Heneghan is hitting the jackpot.  Sure you can do the old quiz show tactic of risking what you've got for more but I'd be over joyed to get a quarter of a million for a defender that can't defend anything other than a high ball straight at him. It's greater proof football has gone mad than the Neymar or Dembele transfers.

It also proves transfer fees are a bit of a lottery when genuinely great players like Darren Randolph and (fingers crossed) Louis Moult leave the club for nowt while less than impressive players rake in substantial dough.

The only problem is we don't really have anyone that can step in and replace Heneghan unless you shift Dunne over. 

Would be looking for a more experienced centre half than Jordan McGhee as a replacement.

As far as I can see there's no real risk here. Motherwell want to sell, Blackburn want the player and I'm pretty sure the player will be all about the move since regardless of the basket-case Blackburn seem to be, they're still a big club (relative to Motherwell) and he'll get a wage bump accordingly. We're really just going through the motions and haggling over £100k here or there or an extra 5% on a sell on.

I think Robinson's pretty much said to the press that should Heneghan leave then he'll be looking to replace him. I'll be honest and say that there's probably a fair chance that we could bring in a replacement for him from the free agent market. There seems to be a suggestion that Jordan McGhee is Falkirk bound.

£250k+ for Heneghan plus the free money from Marvin Johnson money should hopefully make a bit of a dent in the money owed to Boyle and Hutchison (and the WS if they want it back).

13 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

The chat on The Twitter amongst (verified) journalists, as opposed to Agent Scotland or the like seems to be that we're holding out for £500k which is wild.

IMO the only disappointment is that he's leaving just as we seem to have found a defensive set up that suits him where all he really needs to do is head the ball and chuck himself into tackles. As part of a back 4 he's still far from convincing, if you look at that chance Schalk had for County the other week that he put over the bar it's exactly the sort of chance Heneghan was shipping week after week last season.

I agree that it's wild.

But have we really found a defensive set up that suits him?  Our wins this season have been against teams with puff pastry attackers.  Hearts have scored 3 goals in 4 league matches and two thirds of those goals were from a player who spent most of the match on the bench.  Ross County slightly better with 4 goals in 4 matches but they've not exactly terrorized defences.

When we've played better teams we've conceded 2+ goals - as we usually do.  Heneghan was pretty poor against St. Johnstone and we shipped 4 with the hosts never getting out of 2nd gear and looking like they could get another any time they came up the park.  The later sendings off didn't really have much to do with the overall defensive display.  We were bad from the start, hence the 2-0 score line after 18 minutes. Same with Rangers. OK their second was a penalty but they have also cracked the bar a couple of times and Kenny Miller has missed a complete sitter that Raven Steel could have put away - despite being inanimate and made of a spongy material.

I think the jury is still very much out on our defensive set up.  With matches coming up away to Hibs (8 goals in 4 games) and a double header against Aberdeen (10 goals in 4 games) I think we will have a better idea if we are any more robust - Heneghan or no Heneghan.

23 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

250K for Heneghan is hitting the jackpot.  Sure you can do the old quiz show tactic of risking what you've got for more but I'd be over joyed to get a quarter of a million for a defender that can't defend anything other than a high ball straight at him. It's greater proof football has gone mad than the Neymar or Dembele transfers.

It also proves transfer fees are a bit of a lottery when genuinely great players like Darren Randolph and (fingers crossed) Louis Moult leave the club for nowt while less than impressive players rake in substantial dough.

The only problem is we don't really have anyone that can step in and replace Heneghan unless you shift Dunne over. 

Would be looking for a more experienced centre half than Jordan McGhee as a replacement.

I agree on Moult and Randolph - I was mystified that no-one put even a derisory bid on a 'keeper that was clearly playing at a level way below his capabilities - it was a rare occasion when you get a genuine top class player at a club like ours. But I disagree that a 250k bid on Heneghan is a sign that football has gone mad - Blackburn are simply doing what we are doing relative to the higher financial level they are operating at. They are effectively taking a relatively low risk punt (given the prices down south) on a young player who they feel has the potential to develop further. 

There is probably good money to be made in turning good players in the Scottish top flight into 7-figure players simply by "laundering" them through an english club - like Oxford and Johnson. It is this route that 'Well are looking to make a big chunk of our "player trading" money I guess - the initial transfer fee is less of a big deal than it was...

Edited by Swello

I'd be slightly disappointed if we ended up with £250k for Heneghan. Not that I think he's worth any more than that but considering there appears to be genuine interest from a few Championship clubs and a "big" League One team, as well as it being this late on in the window you'd think we'd be able to fleece some more out of them, whether it's an increased base fee or some favourable add-ons. 

Just me that would happily take McGhee if Heneghan goes?

Absolutely no idea what he's like as a player, but for the utterly shite "McGhee Out" patter we'd need to put up with, I hope we avoid.

On 27/08/2017 at 17:16, MJC said:

We can recruit any McGhee we want, even Debbie McG(h)ee, as long as that particular McGhee who was our previous manager never darkens our door again then they'll get my support.

On a serious note I would happily take Jordan McGhee at Fir Park should we lose Heneghan.

Edited by MJC

This is exciting, imagine we sell heneghan for half a mil, add a sell on and then some dumb f**k of an English team pays 3 mil for him in 2 years?

I may be dreaming but English fitba is fantasy stuff.

Oxford fans getting pretty wound up at the reports of the 25% sell on for Johnson. Apparently their chairman had previously said it was 10%.

Given their manager at the time said it was a complicated deal with loads of different clauses that had to be met and the fact Johnson's a complete hoor I wouldn't be hugely surprised if there was a specific clause relating to him leaving Oxford within a year.

Edited by capt_oats

I reckon given the seemingly lengthy discussion with Blackburn yesterday that they'll come back with an improved deadline day offer and he'll be offski. On the surface, the club seem to be driving a harder bargain than has been the case...

Good that Cadden and Moult aren't really being mentioned at the moment....