Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Must be one of the few times that a player not wanted by us has been picked up by a bigger club. More than most signings, it could really go either way as I think in the right system, he could be a cracking player - but unless something weird happens, he's not going to be scoring many.

no chance of it happening as we couldn't afford his wages (and most wouldn't agree anyway) but I'd be quite happy for us to take a gamble on May and give him a fresh start....

2 hours ago, Swello said:

Must be one of the few times that a player not wanted by us has been picked up by a bigger club. More than most signings, it could really go either way as I think in the right system, he could be a cracking player - but unless something weird happens, he's not going to be scoring many.

no chance of it happening as we couldn't afford his wages (and most wouldn't agree anyway) but I'd be quite happy for us to take a gamble on May and give him a fresh start....

Tbh, I'd have thought if May was available and going anywhere in a "please take him off our hands" deal then he'd be back in Perth but beyond that the fact that we virtually have a blank slate up front makes things quite interesting.

I noticed OTF saying over on SO that the offer we've made to Tanner is really just a token gesture (which in fairness is pretty much in line with what was said at the AGM). If that's the case then the only senior forward we have at the club is Johnson, who doesn't really fit in the 433 system it looks like we're sticking with.

Robinson's consistently said that our market is either people who aren't getting games elsewhere or lower league/non-league. In that respect I'm curious to see who we end up going for as a #9. If we're effectively playing one up top I can't see us spending on 2 big (for us) wages for the centre forward positions however if one could play in a couple of positions (rather than one starting and one on the bench) that may open up options.

We were linked with a fair number of names last summer MOH being an obvious one and while I could be miles off on this, the impression I got was that we were put off in terms of committing money (which is understandable especially since we already had Main and Bowman on the books) and ended up reworking our plans which saw us ending up with The Big Fish (who I'm sure wasn't cheap either). The fact that Sammon was a bust, Fisher was binned after 6 months, Main didn't really work out, Johnson's barely been seen since January and Robinson never really seemed that sold on Bowman makes me wonder what what type player we'll be looking at this time round.

You'd hope we've learned from the Sammon situation but while I'm projecting a bit it'd be interesting to see if we might be inclined to try and go for a name to try and rehabilitate given we've not been averse to it in January windows (eg: Ciftci, McCormack et al). 

Edited by capt_oats

3 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Tbh, I'd have thought if May was available and going anywhere in a "please take him off our hands" deal then he'd be back in Perth

Hes well, well, beyond what we can afford. I'm sure I've seen hes earning over £6k a week, I know he was earning over £10k a week at Preston and he definitely didn't take a 50% cut to join Aberdeen.

I think people are still being too kind to Main tbh. Aye, he did a difficult job as a lone striker, but it was the bare minimum most of the time. Obviously he struggled in front of goal and that's well documented, but it's not as if his linkup play was much better. He killed loads of our attacks just by getting in the way or through poor touches, appreciate the first few months but by the end all he really had to offer was his raw physicality.

9 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I think people are still being too kind to Main tbh. Aye, he did a difficult job as a lone striker, but it was the bare minimum most of the time. Obviously he struggled in front of goal and that's well documented, but it's not as if his linkup play was much better. He killed loads of our attacks just by getting in the way or through poor touches, appreciate the first few months but by the end all he really had to offer was his raw physicality.

Definitely.

I've not bothered to check but I've a feeling that most of the goals in Main's purple patch came when he was partnered with either Ciftci or Bowman and, perhaps more significantly, had Tanner playing off them. Without the nuance of Nadir and Tanner it was simply reduced to Main and Bowman (or briefly Sammon) as blunt instruments trying to bulldoze defences (which admittedly worked a treat in the semi-final at Hampden).

Also, where Ciftci would hold the ball up and draw fouls, Main would just give them away when trying to play the same role.

With Main as the lone striker he was definitely the least worst option though even having said that as Scott was growing in confidence while the physical side was still lacking you were seeing a creative and technical side to his game that you just wouldn't get from Main. The number of times Main would take on utterly ludicrous attempts from ridiculous angles probably shouldn't be forgotten either.

Edited by capt_oats

Celtic have opened direct talks with Motherwell as they seek to sign midfielder David Turnbull, who has nine other interested parties.

PL: "Hi Alan, we're looking to buy David Turnbu.."

AB: "f**k off Peter!"  **slams phone, and then laptop, down**

If the talks don't play out this exact way, I'll be very disappointed. 

1 minute ago, Desp said:

PL: "Hi Alan, we're looking to buy David Turnbu.."

AB: "f**k off Peter!"  **slams phone, and then laptop, down**

If the talks don't play out this exact way, I'll be very disappointed. 

They've apparently "asked to be kept informed" which sounds like the equivalent of signing up for our newsletter tbh.

Record Sport understands Scotland’s champions have lodged an official inquiry with Fir Park chief executive Alan Burrows and asked to be kept informed of any developments surrounding the 19-year-old’s future as a host of English clubs prepare to enter the race.

It’s believed the Hoops and nine other potential bidders have contacted Burrows who has set Well’s asking price for Turnbull at no less than £3m.

Premier League rivals Southampton and Burnley are thought to be among the English clubs circling Scotland’s Young Player of the Year with Brighton and Bristol City also interested.

If there's genuine interest from that number of clubs, all of whom will be able to meet our valuation and then some then it's hardly in Motherwell's interest to just tug their forelock and accept the first offer that comes in.

I'm liking the fact that the paper talk has now moved on to "£3m-rated" Davie Turnbull" - the club are playing the game quite well so far. I'm still convinced that it would only be genuine competition between clubs to sign him that would push it up that far - but it's put the 1.2m stuff in the bin for now...

Have we ever had a striker that’s particularly good at playing the lone striker role?

Ideally you’re looking for someone who’s mobile, strong, can hold the ball up, good link up man, who can also pitch in with double figures in terms of goals. 

Not exactly easy to come by in our price range.

Just now, Casagolda said:

Have we ever had a striker that’s particularly good at playing the lone striker role?

Ideally you’re looking for someone who’s mobile, strong, can hold the ball up, good link up man, who can also pitch in with double figures in terms of goals. 

Porter?

If the general price is set at £3,000,000 which I think is a reasonable price to set (alongside a few bonus clauses), AND a figure that won't completely scare medium-sized clubs off down South...we should be telling Celtic that we want £4,000,000 off them as additional compensation for selling to a direct competitor.

Also, the bit where they've asked to be kept in the loop, my response to that would be 'aye, nae problem Peter, will do mate', before hanging the phone up and muttering, 'f**k you, ya cockend, you'll be getting told nothing'

4 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Higdon?

9 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Definitely.

I've not bothered to check but I've a feeling that most of the goals in Main's purple patch came when he was partnered with either Ciftci or Bowman and, perhaps more significantly, had Tanner playing off them. Without the nuance of Nadir and Tanner it was simply reduced to Main and Bowman (or briefly Sammon) as blunt instruments trying to bulldoze defences (which admittedly worked a treat in the semi-final at Hampden).

Also, where Ciftci would hold the ball up and draw fouls, Main would just give them away when trying to play the same role.

With Main as the lone striker he was definitely the least worst option though even having said that as Scott was growing in confidence while the physical side was still lacking you were seeing a creative and technical side to his game that you just wouldn't get from Main. The number of times Main would take on utterly ludicrous attempts from ridiculous angles probably shouldn't be forgotten either.

I don't think Main ever played with Craig Tanner, Main never came in until January by which time Tanner was already injured? that said, i agree with you.

22 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Porter?

18 minutes ago, ONeils4Oyarder said:

Higdon?

Two excellent strikers certainly and two of my favourite Motherwell centre forwards in recent years.

However, I’d argue that they both had the luxury of Clarkson/Ojamaa playing off them, offering support and doing a lot of running for them.  

Just now, Casagolda said:

Two excellent strikers certainly and two of my favourite Motherwell centre forwards in recent years.

However, I’d argue that they both had the luxury of Clarkson/Ojamaa playing off them, offering support and doing a lot of running for them.  

You very rarely get a lone striker, who is no one playing off them though to be fair? Even the 2nd half of last season, Main had Hastie and Ariyibi either side of him, and Turnbull supporting

1 minute ago, ONeils4Oyarder said:

I struggle to pick my favourite Motherwell number 9 because of the big fella...it was always Tommy Coyne for me, but Higdon really pushes him close in my opinion.

This will be an age-based discussion - Coyne and Arnott are my two favourites - can never separate them - Higdon then by some distance above everyone else.